Email authentication expiring so I miss notifications

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
user1028
Getting the hang of things

Email authentication expiring so I miss notifications

Post by user1028 »

Hi there,
I'm wondering what the best practice is for notifications. I have a Gmail account that I've authenticated with QNAP to be able to send me reports or alerts. I don't have the QNAP online setup as I understand that adds another level of risk. I don't have SMS set up as that's another service to go through and setup. But the problem I'm running into is that Gmail (I assume it's Gmail) is expiring the authentication so I often will log in (when I notice I haven't received any notices in a while) to find that I am not getting emails because the authentication expired.

Is there a better solution? Is SMS the best way to go? If so, is there a service that is most commonly used (there are a lot of options and I experimented with a trial of one service but never got it working). SMS doesn't seem terribly expensive and if it would save me this headache I would be happy to get it set up- just wanted to get other input here.

Thanks!
-Stephen
QNAP TS-1685, TS-832X, TS-832PX
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Email authentication expiring so I miss notifications

Post by FSC830 »

What kind of mail account do you have?
I know some freemail accounts that require a web login every x days/weeks/months.
But none of this stopped sending/receiving mails without a notice sent on time before expiration date.
Me too have an account at gmail since several years. This account did not request a login or any other activity for prolongation.

So I am wondering what will happen at your account!?

Regards
user1028
Getting the hang of things

Re: Email authentication expiring so I miss notifications

Post by user1028 »

FSC830 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:10 am What kind of mail account do you have?
I know some freemail accounts that require a web login every x days/weeks/months.
But none of this stopped sending/receiving mails without a notice sent on time before expiration date.
Me too have an account at gmail since several years. This account did not request a login or any other activity for prolongation.

So I am wondering what will happen at your account!?

Regards
I have a business Gmail account (not sure it's "enterprise" but it is part of the business suite). It's easy to authenticate and it works for a period of time (probably a month though I haven't actually looked into the "timeout" period) before it requires re-authentication. It's my primary email so I use it daily and I also have QNAP set up to alert me at least a few times a week after scans, so it IS logging in until it suddenly can't authenticate anymore.

I'll try a Microsoft Live account and see what that does.

Thanks for your input.
QNAP TS-1685, TS-832X, TS-832PX

Return to “Miscellaneous”