HOWTO: QNAP Direct to USB Copy for newbs

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
niwa2
Experience counts

Re: HOWTO: QNAP Direct to USB Copy for newbs

Post by niwa2 »

yes
TVS-1282 | Version 4.4.3 | 3x 12TB WDC WD121KRYZ RAID5
TS-639 Pro | Version 4.2.6 | 5x 3TB WDC WD30EFRX RAID5 as Backup
LianLi EX-50 with 3x 2TB SAMSUNG HD203WI + 2x 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI in RAID5 as Backup drive
LianLi EX-503 with 5x 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI in RAID5 as Backup drive
SGResu
Starting out

Post by SGResu »

Hi all,
I mounted 2 disks on the qnap but I don't know how to access Disk2...

i can see HDA_ROOT and HDB_ROOT using putty, but there is no way to see the second disk from the nas file manager.

how can I save stuff on disk2?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

SGResu wrote:I mounted 2 disks on the qnap but I don't know how to access Disk2...
Internally? If yes - complete unrelated to the subject.
SGResu wrote:i can see HDA_ROOT and HDB_ROOT using putty, but there is no way to see the second disk from the nas file manager.
Of course not - don't touch HDx_ROOT ... it's HDx_DATA btw.
SGResu wrote:how can I save stuff on disk2?
Bad idea not to run a NAS on a redundant storage config - but everybody on it's own. Create additional shared folders, select the second storage volume, and grant the access rights accordingly. That's all.
SGResu
Starting out

Post by SGResu »

Thank you for the help, sorry for the out of topic, i'm new and I did not find anything on the search.

anyway, thank you again :)
marshalleq
Easy as a breeze

Post by marshalleq »

For completeness, Rsync is NOT slow on the QNAP IF you disable the delta algorithm. You do this by specifying --whole-file. I 'think' you can still make it resumable by including --partial (as contradictory as that sound). Also make sure you're not using compression i.e. the 'z' or j' option as that will also require CPU. I easily get over 30MB/s using this. Still takes a while for a 1TB file though ;) Oh and it's definitely useful adding --progress and -vh. This will show you how complete you are and show you some transfer information. Hope that helps someone.
TS669-L (3GB RAM) fw 4.3.2.0050 Build 20170104 with 6x4TB Seagate ST4000VN000-1H41SC43 2x2TB Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 2x8TB ST8000VN0022-2EL112
QNAP UX-500P External 5 Bay USB3 Expansion Cabinet
Raspberry Pi 1,2 & 3
Mac Mini
Apple TV 3/4
Windows
Sabayon Linux
Ubuntu Linux
Android
Docker
Ryzen 1800x custom system

Web
https://www.tech-knowhow.com

Twitter
@Marshalleq
@TechKn0wH0w
mbabauer
New here

Post by mbabauer »

Hi everyone. New to the forum, and new to QNAP.

I picked up a used QNAP TS-419P II off ebay w/ 4 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 NAS drives pre-loaded, in RAID5. It was purchased to replace a broken desktop I was using as a media server (mostly .MKV videos). We cut the cord years ago, and primarily use a Pivos XIOS DS in the living area running XBMC and an older Xtreamer in the bedroom.

My first task was to get the old drives from the old broken media server over. For this I am using a SATA->USB 2.0 adapter, I think made by Roswell, but I am not sure. I have 2 drives to copy over: a 2TB Hitachi and a 4TB Seagate. I performed the copy by plugging the 2TB drive, using my SATA->USB cable, into the "copy" port in the front of the QNAP and using the File Station app through the web UI. And let me say it is SLOOOOW! The drive had about 1.3TB of data on it, and it's been running since about 4pm yesterday and is only 92% complete. Next I have the 4TB drive, which has like 3TB on it, and I am worried this will take a week to finish!

After reading around a bit on the internet, I found a LOT of postings complaining that the USB speeds are poor on these units, but I didn't see any solutions. This is the first posting I read through it, but it doesn't give a straight-forward answer as to if this will improve the speeds or not.

So, here is my conundrum: Either I try the USB copy again, using SSH and rsync/robocopy as recommended, or I plug the 4TB into my MacBook Pro and do the copy over the network. Either way, I know it will take a while, but I'd take a few hours over a couple days if I can.

My second question is this: The plan, as it stands now, is to use a Raspberry Pi B to act as SABNZBD/SickBeard/CouchPotato server, with the QNAP as the target drive (/Downloads for the incomplete/complete folders, /Media for the final resting place of all the media). I was planning to use the USB ports in the back of the QNAP to connect the RPi, but now I have concerns that maybe this is a bad approach due to lack of USB data speeds. Should I be looking at NFS instead?
StefanoBettega
Starting out

Post by StefanoBettega »

Another way is to install Midnight Commander on NAS using Optware IPKG, then browsing via Telnet files and folders using mc.
My own NAS: TS-419P II (4 x WD RED 1TB), 1 custom built OMV (AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1385, 8GB RAM, 3 x 1TB disks RAID5)
My company NAS: TS-EC2480U (7 x WD RED 4TB, RAID5 + 1 x WD RED 4TB hot spare), TS-451 (4 x WD RED 2TB)
herksen
Getting the hang of things

Post by herksen »

Hi there,

I would like to install Midnight Commander on a QNAP TS-659 Pro+ NAS (running fw 4.2.1), and that it used to be quite easy to install Apps when 'Optware IPKG' was still functional.
I understand that 'Optware IPKG' has been scrapped (security problems), and replaced by either 'Entware' or 'QNAPware'.

I checked the App Center in my NAS, but cannot find either 'Entware' or 'QNAPware'. It's not there.

After checking out the QNAP forum, I understand that I have to download it via a webbrowser.

I know that my TS-659 Pro+ has a Dual-core Intel® Atom™ (1.80 GHz) CPU, and it's a 64bits version (checked it via CLI with the 'uname -m' command.

x86-64 - http://entware.zyxmon.org/binaries/x86-64/Packages.html <--- so, this is the suitable list of 64 bits packages for my QNAP type:

I need these: entware and mc:

the link to entware':
http://entware.zyxmon.org/binaries/x86- ... x86-64.ipk

and the link to MC:
http://entware.zyxmon.org/binaries/x86- ... x86-64.ipk

After downloading entware-opt_222108-2_x86-64.ipk I have to install it, and now I'm stuck...

How do I install Entware??

My download is a *.ipg file, and that needs IPKG.. And I cannot install IPKG, because it's not there anymore.
It's the chicken and the egg syndrome.

Anyone can give me a hint on how to do this??

Eternal thanks!!

Best Robbert
Soesterberg, NL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TS-EC879U-RP (16Gb ram), 8x WD3000FYYZ-01UL1B2 3Tb in Raid 6 (yes, six!!).
TS-1079 Pro ( 8Gb ram), 10x WD Raid Edition 4 (WD2003FYYS) 2Tb HD in RAID 5
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

Hi

Follow the direction s here viewtopic.php?f=351&t=116737 and install entware-ng then install your packages from the command line using entware - it will download what it needs from the internet directly you do not have to download the packages directly yourself
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
herksen
Getting the hang of things

Post by herksen »

Hi there and thanks for quick reply. Appreciated!!!

I managed to install 'Entware', and after installation I noticed it's entry in the installed App list on my QNAP.

I clicked on the icon, and I discovered that there is nothing to do there. No graphical interface, unlike the good old 'Optware IPKG'.
Confusing.

Then I googled on how to use this 'Entware' and I found out that it's only CLI based, (very well) explained here:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/op ... nipulation

I get it now, and I'm happy that I'm now able to install interesting packages on my QNAP.

Hope other peeps will find this info helpful.

Cheers

Robbert

Spider99 wrote:Hi

Follow the direction s here viewtopic.php?f=351&t=116737 and install entware-ng then install your packages from the command line using entware - it will download what it needs from the internet directly you do not have to download the packages directly yourself
TS-EC879U-RP (16Gb ram), 8x WD3000FYYZ-01UL1B2 3Tb in Raid 6 (yes, six!!).
TS-1079 Pro ( 8Gb ram), 10x WD Raid Edition 4 (WD2003FYYS) 2Tb HD in RAID 5
ITEngineer
Easy as a breeze

Post by ITEngineer »

OK, Does this method is still applicable for the TVS-471 with QTS v4.2.1 NAS on USB 3.0 file transfer ?
--
Regards,

IT Engineer
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

ITEngineer wrote:OK, Does this method is still applicable for the TVS-471 with QTS v4.2.1 NAS on USB 3.0 file transfer ?
In which aspect?

- When this topic was opened almost the years ago, we had no File Station, permitting to deal with direct copy of data within the NAS.
- Optware IPKG and Entware are obsolete, please refer to the first post in the Entware(-NG) thread viewtopic.php?f=351&t=116737#p516754
- some interesting insights that rsync without delta-handling can be fast
ITEngineer
Easy as a breeze

Post by ITEngineer »

schumaku wrote:
ITEngineer wrote:OK, Does this method is still applicable for the TVS-471 with QTS v4.2.1 NAS on USB 3.0 file transfer ?
In which aspect?

- When this topic was opened almost the years ago, we had no File Station, permitting to deal with direct copy of data within the NAS.
- Optware IPKG and Entware are obsolete, please refer to the first post in the Entware(-NG) thread viewtopic.php?f=351&t=116737#p516754
- some interesting insights that rsync without delta-handling can be fast
The SSH consolemethod to transfer large amount of file and bigger size files ?

If the File Station interface can do it easily with no performance degradation, then dis regard my post above :DD
--
Regards,

IT Engineer
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

ITEngineer wrote:The SSH consolemethod to transfer large amount of file and bigger size files ?
Within the potential limits when ACL are coming into the game, requiring adjustments later, yes.
ITEngineer wrote:If the File Station interface can do it easily with no performance degradation, then dis regard my post above
I would love to ... no, File Station can be very very slow even on local actions.
kevin.richards
New here

Post by kevin.richards »

thanks I was having similar problem as i am newbs with Qnap. I will try webfilemanager as well.

Return to “Miscellaneous”