HOWTO: QNAP Direct to USB Copy for newbs

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
statler
New here

HOWTO: QNAP Direct to USB Copy for newbs

Post by statler »

I noticed a lot of people commenting on the slow transfer between USB and the QNAP. That is because a lot of the methods it is obvious to use actually require the PC to be an interim storage point on the transfer.

To copy VERY large files (any files actually) directly from USB devices to and from the QNAP - I use Telnet (I couldn't find anything on the forums to explain to people how to do this at a basic level, it is probably there, just couldn't find it). This is the quickest way I have found to transfer large files when you use wireless and you have local physical access to the QNAP - files that take about hour over WLAN take a few minutes through USB. It might seem like a hassle at first, but its really quick once you have done it a couple of times.

Copy Using Telnet;
1. Download a Telnet client (like Putty - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html)

2. Start Putty and enter the IP (or name) of your server

3. Enter the login data of the administrator account (i.e. login: admin password: <admin> (note: the password will NOT be displayed as you type)) at the command prompt

4. Try navigating through your files. Some useful commands are
* cd (Change Directory) i.e. cd /share/Public
* ls (list files)
* Some more detailed commands are shown at the end of this post

5. Assuming your USB device is plugged in (I think it has to be FAT or ext3 - can someone confirm?), you can navigate to it by entering cd /share/"USB Disk 1" - REMEMBER - case senstitive and directories or filenames with spaces need to be in quotes!!!

6. type ls and you should see the files on your USB drive

7. copy the files or directory you want using cp
* cp A1movie.avi /share/Qmultimedia/video (copies A1movie.avi from the USB disk you navigated to in step 5 to the QNAP)
* cp /share/Qmultimedia/video/A1movie.avi /share/"USB Disk 1" (to do the reverse)
* cp -r /ComedyMovies /share/Qmultimedia/video (copies the entire ComedyMovies directory from the current directory to the movies directory

Some Common Telnet commands
http://www.webhostgear.com/35.html

I hope this helps. Please let me know if there are any mistakes or it needs to be updated anywhere, I am no expert, just trying to help.
vblars
Getting the hang of things

Post by vblars »

It's excellent brilliant description on how to copy using telnet. :)
It's relay nice thanks.

Merry Christmas to all.
QNAP TS-209 Pro 3.1.0 build 0708T
2 * 500Gb Western Digital - Raid 1
D-Link DGL-4300
petur

Re: HOWTO: QNAP Direct to USB Copy for newbs

Post by petur »

Personally, I am now using rsync on the NAS itself to backup folders to an USB disk.

Get an SSH client (like SSH used below) and type:
SSH admin@<your-nas-name-or-ip> -p 2222
after giving your pasword you can then type something like
rsync -r -t -p -o -g -x -v --progress --delete /share/MD0_DATA/<share-name>/ /share/external/sdu/<destination-folder>/
of course, the destination folder must exist, and I'm not really sure if the shares are always under MD0_DATA and the usb disk under sdu

I have to not that although this does a direct copy from NAS disks to USB, I still only get about 2.80MB/s :(

As I'm fairly new to linux, I'll accept any corrections made to my above statements. It would be nice if QNAP would manage to put that rsync command behind the usb backup link in the webinterface.
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland
niwa2
Experience counts

Post by niwa2 »

hi,
the rsync command is behind the remote replication. just use 127.0.0.1 as the remote adress. and 2.8MB/s is the normal speed that you get from rsync on the TS-Series NAS because the 500MHz RISC processor is just not fast enough for more than that.

and for people whoe are not into command lines try using winscp. i think it is more convenient.
TVS-1282 | Version 4.4.3 | 3x 12TB WDC WD121KRYZ RAID5
TS-639 Pro | Version 4.2.6 | 5x 3TB WDC WD30EFRX RAID5 as Backup
LianLi EX-50 with 3x 2TB SAMSUNG HD203WI + 2x 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI in RAID5 as Backup drive
LianLi EX-503 with 5x 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI in RAID5 as Backup drive
petur

Post by petur »

niwa2 wrote:hi,
the rsync command is behind the remote replication. just use 127.0.0.1 as the remote adress. and 2.8MB/s is the normal speed that you get from rsync on the TS-Series NAS because the 500MHz RISC processor is just not fast enough for more than that.
So you are saying that cp would yield faster transfers?
QNAP support told me that the 2.8MB/s USB speed is normal for USB transfers as this is a hardware design issue of the NAS.

niwa2
Experience counts

Post by niwa2 »

yes.
i have never tried the raw usb transfer with cp because the only external HDD i have is used as QRAID 1. and i am getting about 2,7MB/s when syncing. QRAID is also using rsync.

the cp command might be faster but as i said i have never tried how much faster it actually is or how much troughput the hardware is capable of using the usb connection. the only thing i can say is that the QRAID-sync over usb is as fast as using eSATA, which leads me to the conclusion that the usb conection can deliver at least raw 2,7MB/s or perhaps even more.

it is worth a try.
LianLi EX-50 with 3x 2TB SAMSUNG HD203WI + 2x 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI in RAID5 as Backup drive
petur

Post by petur »

Well the 2.8MB/s I have is the figure that rsync prints when it is doing a file transfer, so not a calculation of the total amount of files and the time rsync needed.

I guess I'll have to test this ;)

mstudio
New here

Post by mstudio »

I can't seem to find any of the directories after connecting. ls shows index_default.html

Nevermind. cd / put me in the root direcotry.
iisiois
New here

Post by iisiois »

I also was hoping for faster transfer rates using direct usb connection of an external drive to the qnap. Transfer for me maxed out around 4 mb/s. However, using local usb connection of my drive, I'm getting around 8 mb/s from my laptop to the qnap. go figure.
TS-210 :: Windows XP
fl1x
Starting out

Post by fl1x »

Thanks for this muchly appricated, does it provide a speed or ETA etc mine is just sat there doing nothing at the moment

[/share/USBDisk2/folder disk/folder] # cp -r /Music /share/Qmultimedia
cp: cannot stat `/Music': No such file or directory
[/share/USBDisk2/folder disk/Folder] # cp -r Music/ /share/Qmultimedia
**this is just a blank line with the cursor in it**

got it wrong first time :)

*EDIT*
the reason why i ask is as im copying about 400gb of data :)

Thanks

F
petur

Post by petur »

400GB will take some time... you should see/hear disk activity, which means it is busy

shades
Starting out

Post by shades »

What wrong with the webfilemanager to do this ??
pedall
Starting out

Post by pedall »

is there any possibility to transfer files / folders from the nas to an external usb drive in a fast and uncomplicated way?
f.e. with filezilla or sth like it.
niwa2
Experience counts

Post by niwa2 »

the webfilemanager is the easiest way to do this.
you can also use any ftp, sftp or ssh client as well.
pedall
Starting out

Post by pedall »

so if i plug the external drive to the qnap nas and transfer the files over a ftp client or the webfilemanager, the files wont make the long way over the computer, but instant onto the external drive?

Return to “Miscellaneous”