HOWTO: QNAP Direct to USB Copy for newbs

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
buggy82
Getting the hang of things

Re: HOWTO: QNAP Direct to USB Copy for newbs

Post by buggy82 »

Hi,

Imho, this thread should be archived and/or unpinned from the Misc forums for these reasons:
  • Discussion of available options is completely outdated.
  • It merely explains how to copy files in any linux OS, which is trivial. Just read the first pages of any "Linux-for-Dummies" guide online.
  • Today, QNAP and partners provide many very comfortable ways to do that within QTS web UI. (Web File Manager, QNAP/3rd party Apps)
buggy82
TS 409 Pro - decommissioned
TS 559 Pro+ - degraded to an iSCSI target, disabled all services
TS 651 + UX 800P 3xRAID5 (as Storage Pool 1), actually RAID50 + 1 Single Drive (test VMs/temp data, QTS apps)
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

newbie guide for using the external storage backup
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... backup-job

probably want to install hybrid backup sync which replaces default backup station though first.

for one touch button refer here
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... hould-i-do
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
buggy82
Getting the hang of things

Post by buggy82 »

TS 409 Pro - decommissioned
TS 559 Pro+ - degraded to an iSCSI target, disabled all services
TS 651 + UX 800P 3xRAID5 (as Storage Pool 1), actually RAID50 + 1 Single Drive (test VMs/temp data, QTS apps)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:probably want to install hybrid backup sync which replaces default backup station though first.
Still very bad as general advice as software still in beta testing like Hybrid Backup Sync shouldn't be used on live data unless confirmed stable for the actual specific use case in a pure test environment with dummy data first.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

P3R wrote:
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:probably want to install hybrid backup sync which replaces default backup station though first.
Still very bad as general advice as software still in beta testing like Hybrid Backup Sync shouldn't be used on live data unless confirmed stable for the actual specific use case in a pure test environment with dummy data first.
only reason i recommended because i tested myself as working for my rtrr settings as i detailed (but even then i would not normally recommend beta either... however), other users are being told by qnap support to use it over backup station. Thats why i recommend it since thats what qnap support is telling others :S

well aliaos backup setting didn't work on either solution. i didn't really keep track of his case, but for the qts firmware, hbs version, qnap model, my rtrr settings i tested myself working. I did some checking in diagnose report and the files but did not see any destructive issues when doing the backup. thats why i link to my own hbs test cause thats the only scenario which i verified as working for me :)
alios wrote:is there another backup app that can be installed on a QNAP 459 Pro II 4.2.6 firmware ???

i had the standard Backup Station app, wich worked PERFECTLY for 7 years, until last year, when it stopped making backups from a windows SMB share...

so i installed Hybrid Backup Beta after beeing suggested by qnap support in my submitted ticket

this app has lots of bugs but still, i`m doing my backup jobs...

now i want to set up another SMB/CIFS sync from a windows server share... on the connection tab it says FAILURE every time, the job doesn`t work, and i`m beeing frustrated AF

so please somebody, is there another app for QNAP drives that does RSYNC, FTP and SMB backups ?

i`m getting really desperate with qnap devices... and i was planning to change the unit this year, maybe go with something rack mountable, but if the software keeps on beeing buggy.... i aren`t think that... i want something that i don`t have to babysit every day
vampyren wrote:@Moogle Stiltzkin:
Sorry for late answer but you found it anyway :). The QNAP support told me
Hybrid backup Sync will replace the old Backup station and recommended using it.
It works fine
for now.

I have also updated to 4.3.3.0229 which seems stable.

Maybe just luck, i dont know. Either way i would stay away from old Backupstation.

well i'll make a ticket then to qnap to get an official answer whether hbs is more stable than backup station for future use. :S for now i'll edit that out from faq till then. so then if anything don't work on backup station, they'll probably still get referred to HBS by support despite the beta status :shock:

*there updated :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:only reason i recommended because i tested myself as working for my rtrr settings as i detailed (but even then i would not normally recommend beta either... however), other users are being told by qnap support to use it over backup station. Thats why i recommend it since thats what qnap support is telling others
Backup Station and even more so Hybrid Backup Sync can be used in many, many very different ways that may each be affected by specific issues with certain usage. In fact both Backup Station and Hybrid Backup Sync should be considered more of portals to many different backup apps than single purpose apps. NAS to NAS, Rsync, RTRR, External Drive and now all the cloud services are very different and will probably be affected by different bugs.

Qnap support have insight into each specific case reported to them by each customer. You don't have the information and knowledge they have. Qnap support probably have good reasons for the handful isolated recommendations they've made. To interpret those as a general recommendation to everyone to switch to Hybrid Backup Sync is just plain wrong.
well i'll make a ticket then to qnap to get an official answer whether hbs is more stable than backup station for future use.
That's a waste of resources that would be much better used helping customers with problems!

It's very simple, if HBS was the actual general Qnap recommendation for a majority of users becuase it have less severe bugs than Backup Station, HBS would simply have been declared released and stable software.

Qnap didn't do that at all. Instead what they did is that they had HBS go out for yet another beta period because it needs more testing to sort out the bugs. When you as a long time active community member recommend HBS to everyone it's in my opinion bad. When you're not even telling people it's still in beta testing status it's even worse.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

P3R wrote:When you as a long time active community member recommend HBS to everyone it's in my opinion bad. When you're not even telling people it's still in beta testing status it's even worse.
thx for the feedback. i did take your suggestion to mind and updated faq a while ago with further clarification, in case you missed it :) chillax. and for such a simple question hardly take much time to resolve, and if anything priority is probably low anyway. won't impact you, me asking questions, helpdesk is meant for everyone to use 8)
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Miscellaneous”