What are you doing with your Qnap?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
adnovea
Easy as a breeze

Re: What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by adnovea »

Ronc,

Seems to be a nice Multimedia implementation.
This VoD (Video on Demand) architecture looks flexible.
Great job :mrgreen:
See my other projects at Sourceforge & Instructables
ackbar
Starting out

Post by ackbar »

Im using mine to do the obivious stuff, holds automated backups of data from pcs on network, also has our whole cd collection stored as mp3s on it, which it serves out to an audiotron music stremer in the lounge, and shares for itunes to all pc's, twonyvision also allaows the xbox 360 etc to play music.

then it also downloads all our BTs and streams them to a beyonwiz DP-P1 in the lounge for movies and tv shows and the like ;)

I have also set it up to allow remote access to all mu files and music /pictures.

working a treat too !
kevinb
Starting out

Post by kevinb »

I am going to hit mine with a large hammer,its a piece of crap and the support is hopeless
sungeigedong
Starting out

Post by sungeigedong »

For the PCs in my home network, the Qnap TS190Pro is the following;

iTunes library/server
File server
Web site testing server
Backup location - Acronis
Ntp server

That's for now...wait out!
TS-109Pro | Seagate ST31000340AS SD1A | eSATA: SAMSUNG-HD103UJ (Q-RAID1)
crashray
Know my way around

Post by crashray »

I use for :
- backup all data
- use with Plex to create automatically a mediatheque and see my movie easily.
Image iMac alu 24" - 2.8 Ghz - 4 Go RAM - 320Go DD - 500 Go Lacie USB TimeMachine
Image iPhone 3G 8 Go
QNAP TS-409 with 4 WD 1 To in RAID 5
phkoech
Know my way around

Post by phkoech »

- backup of my desktop
- storage of all my videos, photos, HD videos from my 1080p cam recorder
- Webfile manager when I'm out of my home
- UPNP on pinnacle mp3 player (wifi)
- upnp on DLINK video player (wifi)
- webserver for gallery2
- BT download
- Edonkey download
- surveillance station with my webcam DLINK 5300W
What I would like to do : record HDTV directly on my QNAP HD
webregit
Getting the hang of things

Post by webregit »

Ever since email was fixed, I haven't had not one issue with my TS-409 Turbo. Works like a top now! What I don't get is why Qnap releases before ALOT of bugs are still in system. I guess that speeds up in finding bugs and saves millions in testing. Smart move.
================================================
TS-409 Pro Turbo
4x750 Hitachi Ultrastar A7K1000
Raid 5
Alert Notification
The system cannot send the test e-mail, please check your settings.

My settings are fine, please check YOUR settings!
================================================
IG82
New here

Post by IG82 »

webregit wrote:What I don't get is why Qnap releases before ALOT of bugs are still in system. I guess that speeds up in finding bugs and saves millions in testing. Smart move.
Agreed. Having had my device fail twice now in the space of a month, requiring QNAP to restore it remotely, I wish they would stop releasing 'Stable' firmware which adds new features at the expense of reliability.

So... What are you doing with your Qnap?

Just sharing files on my network with no Twonky, BT, QPKG, Itunes or other services which seem to cause my system to fall down.
christian

Post by christian »

Go and have your own topic without destroying this one!
IG82
New here

Post by IG82 »

christian wrote:Go and have your own topic without destroying this one!
Excuse me?
KL643
Experience counts

Post by KL643 »

IG82 wrote:
webregit wrote:What I don't get is why Qnap releases before ALOT of bugs are still in system. I guess that speeds up in finding bugs and saves millions in testing. Smart move.
Agreed. Having had my device fail twice now in the space of a month, requiring QNAP to restore it remotely, I wish they would stop releasing 'Stable' firmware which adds new features at the expense of reliability.
He means that this is a positive topic about nice things you can do with your Qnap.....not a topic where you complain about firmware...for that,make your own topic :wink:
Balrog

Post by Balrog »

As a certified Nerd 8) and employed in the field of computers I use my Qnap for this:

edit: LoL, I cant write N e r d?? Got censured. In my world, that's a compliment! :wink:

1. FINALLY having ONE place for all of my data! :-) (why did'nt I by one sooner?)
2. Finally sleeping at night knowing my data are as safe as I can make them. :-)
3. Storing recorded tv from my mediacenter.
4. When ever I need access to one of my computers from work, or some other location, I use my nap to wake'em up :)
5. Finally after 2 days of work, today I turned off my server. The nap is doing almost everything it did. And my server used 200watt, my nap uses around 20 (now if I could only make those disks spin down!)
6. sFTP server to access my data off site.

Future plans :)
1. Running SMB shares trough ssh tunnels. Still trying to figure this out. Did'nt even know it was possible untill I read about it in a post in this forum. Would be so nice to be able to mount a share like a ordinary network share, off site.
2. Streaming media (music AND video) to my mobile phone, and to my office computer. I had Orb on my old server. I would like something similar on the nap. Anyone have any insights? I have flatrate on my mobile phone, so data is no concern.
3. Run newsgroup downloads. I use newzbin, so currently looking into the two QPKG supported sulutions. Looks like its performance against functionality/features. Anyone have any insights?
QNAP 409 Pro
1 JBOD volume consisting of 2 x Samsung spinpoint F1 HD103UJ SATA2 1TB disks with 32Mb cache, firmware 1AA0
1 Single disk volume consisting of a Seagate Barracuda 750Gb ST3750640NS firmware 3.AE
Running Qnap firmware version: 2.1.0 Build 0904T
geeb

Post by geeb »

Balrog wrote: 3. Run newsgroup downloads. I use newzbin, so currently looking into the two QPKG supported sulutions. Looks like its performance against functionality/features. Anyone have any insights?
I use SABnzbd...but its a big drain on the box. nzbget just isnt as ** for some reason :)
dmann
Starting out

Post by dmann »

Did you figure out a solution similar to Orb for Qnap? I am very interested in similar functionality.

-d
Balrog wrote:As a certified ** 8) and employed in the field of computers I use my Qnap for this:

edit: LoL, I cant write N e r d?? Got censured. In my world, that's a compliment! :wink:

1. FINALLY having ONE place for all of my data! :-) (why did'nt I by one sooner?)
2. Finally sleeping at night knowing my data are as safe as I can make them. :-)
3. Storing recorded tv from my mediacenter.
4. When ever I need access to one of my computers from work, or some other location, I use my nap to wake'em up :)
5. Finally after 2 days of work, today I turned off my server. The nap is doing almost everything it did. And my server used 200watt, my nap uses around 20 (now if I could only make those disks spin down!)
6. sFTP server to access my data off site.

Future plans :)
1. Running SMB shares trough ssh tunnels. Still trying to figure this out. Did'nt even know it was possible untill I read about it in a post in this forum. Would be so nice to be able to mount a share like a ordinary network share, off site.
2. Streaming media (music AND video) to my mobile phone, and to my office computer. I had Orb on my old server. I would like something similar on the nap. Anyone have any insights? I have flatrate on my mobile phone, so data is no concern.
3. Run newsgroup downloads. I use newzbin, so currently looking into the two QPKG supported sulutions. Looks like its performance against functionality/features. Anyone have any insights?
dmann
Starting out

Post by dmann »

geeb wrote:
Balrog wrote: 3. Run newsgroup downloads. I use newzbin, so currently looking into the two QPKG supported sulutions. Looks like its performance against functionality/features. Anyone have any insights?
I use SABnzbd...but its a big drain on the box. nzbget just isnt as ** for some reason :)
I'm using SABnzbd - specifically for the automation scripts around TV & Movies...
http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=1335.0

Return to “Miscellaneous”