What are you doing with your Qnap?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
John C
Starting out

Re: What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by John C »

Sorry, I didn't know what fora took questions and which ones did not - it wasn't obvious from the names.
Thank you for your time. I am sorry to have wasted it. I am encouraged that reading the manual should shed light on my issues. I'll have to give it another go. I read all about the wonderful options available with the 251, but I can't figure out how to engage them. I suppose I am too dim, but, as I say, I am WAAAAY out my depth with both the language in the manual, and interpreting what any of it means. Maybe it's NAS in general that I should start with. Thanks very much for the hint about backup. I find, on this topic at least, that I had overestimated the language. Basically, they all say "do a backup but select the network drive". That sounds easy enough. Could you advise which forum might be appropriate to ask how to get access to both my drives?
arisythila
New here

Post by arisythila »

The only thing I do not use my QNAP system for is to make coffee... But yeah, I do anything and everything else with it. It's a great system!
goodelyfe
Know my way around

Post by goodelyfe »

The question for me should be what aren't I doing with my NAS. I dropped a couple grand on this badboy. Probably one of my better tech investments.

I use it for everything from local shares, various server apps: media streaming servers, personal clouds, NVR for security cams, DVR for TV, backup of my (and other's) machines as well as other devices, Big aggressive downloading (Transmission, HappyGet, pyload, qget, newsgroups, etc etc), Automation hub (even though it's not fully setup), custom PXE network boot server making repair/wiping/installing a new OS a f*cking breeze!!! Not to mention clients that are just able to boot from the network. And last but not least How could forget my beloved VPN and tunneling services: openVPN, shadowsocks, etc etc

I also dibble dabble in photography and cinematography with resolutions up to 4k, the storage is great!!!!!

I probably missed a few important ones as that's how integral and seamless they've become in my life!!

With all that said, I love my NAS but I think I'm out growing it. I been eyeballing one of those thunderbolt 3 ready i7s!!!
goodelyfe
Know my way around

Post by goodelyfe »

And the virtualization server!!! Yes please!!!
muddyman
New here

Post by muddyman »

I am wondering if i should place my qnap 419p as an target for my 300WM and give it 10 rounds with high expandable bullets. :evil:
I have more or less lost faith in the product.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

shooting on your qnap is the solution?...murica?

what was the problem that can only be solved by destruction?
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

muddyman wrote:I am wondering if i should place my qnap 419p as an target for my 300WM and give it 10 rounds with high expandable bullets. :evil:
I have more or less lost faith in the product.
How can i help you?
Hickory
New here

Post by Hickory »

I am trying to deploy a specific config to 20+ Qnaps: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=127835

Any help would be much appreciated! :)
Tentacruel
Starting out

Post by Tentacruel »

Started off using my QNAP as a basic NAS, one storage volume, few folders to dump my media and backup files. Then I started playing around with plex media server. I now have two plex servers, one on the QNAP for local plex and one in the cloud with the media folder mounted over NFS (over IPSec/GRE tunnel). This server is more powerful so it handles transcodes better (which I usually require when travelling and using hotel wifi).

I've now moved on to playing with containers, implementing bind with a webmin frontend in docker. Very fun :)
Vatoe
Starting out

Post by Vatoe »

I'll chime in here,

Time machine backup of 4 various Macs
Paragon Backup of intel windows 7 nuc machine
Repository for backup of work related databases running on the NUC.
kodi SQL database for 5 raspberry Pi kodi machines throughout the house
Download station
Target device for utorrent from one of the macs
Storage for streaming of media (tv, movies , music and photos) to all the kodi devices
Ubuntu via Linux station
Vpn client

To name a few Things I can think of.
Moved over from Synology (DS 1512+). This will be my backup server now.
1 x TVS-873, 8 GB ram (may upgrade this to 16), 2 x 500GB Crucial m.2 sata drives (trying as a raid 1 volume) and 8 x 4TB western digital red drives (Raid 6).
hovrak
New here

Post by hovrak »

TS-453A with TS-569 PRO for backups

Qsonarr+deluge(docker) with kodi, complete hands free media. (all other services disabled... no dlna, no transcoding)

various containers/vm's for development. gmail backup. file sync.

i like playing with other apps to see what they do how they work...
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

BACKGROUND

Replaced my 10 yo DIY NAS, ZoneMinder NVR, home automation glue server with a TS-453A.

DRIVE CONFIG

3xRAID5 NAS drives
1xNVR drive

THE GOOD

1. TimeMachine/AFP/SAMBA
2. Surveillance Station
3. On demand Windows and Ubuntu VMs (frees up client disk space hosting VirtualBox VMs)
4. 24/7 Ubuntu Server VM for open source Homebridge (Apple HomeKit equivalent) for my non-HomeKit Insteon lighting, security system, and IP cameras. Works great, at least until Apple spoils the fun.
5. Haven't set up DVR yet, but plan to.

THE BAD

I was disappointed to discover the QNAP SS uses and non-standard RTSP authentication method (cookies and/or a SID) to share streams, which makes it impossible to share streams with existing third party IP camera apps. Trying to get QNAP to publish the SS API. I looked at the Synology SS documentation which indicated you can share streams, so took a chance on a single bay DS116. If the Synology does what I want, I will move the surveillance drive to the DS116, drop another NAS drive into the QNAP and migrate to RAID6. If the Synology does not share streams, I have a separate NAS for critical backups.

THE UGLY

What should I do with my 10 yo server? Don't want to repurpose it because it's a power and space hog. Too old to be useful to anyone else. I know. Salvage what I can, use the rest for target practice, then send the remains off to the recycler.

[youtube=]fjsSr3z5nVk[/youtube]
[youtube]fjsSr3z5nVk[/youtube]
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

UPDATE

It seems the Synology Surveillance Station does not support standard RSTP authentication of shared streams. It also uses a session id which will not be static.

Returned to Amazon for refund. Picked up a dedicated NVR from the manufacturer of my IP cameras which does support RSTP authentication.
rony albert
New here

Post by rony albert »

Making my life easy with QNAP!
tachophobia
ipledges
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

BenlyHar wrote:
elvisimprsntr wrote:UPDATE

It seems the Synology Surveillance Station does not support standard RSTP authentication of shared streams. It also uses a session id which will not be static.

Returned to Amazon for refund. Picked up a dedicated NVR from the manufacturer of my IP cameras which does support RSTP authentication.

Where did you get this info?

Unlike the QNAP SS, Synology actually publishes their API. Also confirmed via Wireshark during my testing.

https://global.download.synology.com/do ... I_v2.0.pdf

The Synology SS uses session IDs which the majority of third party IP camera apps only support basic or digest authentication to connect to RTSP streams or images.

Return to “Miscellaneous”