What are you doing with your Qnap?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
riahc3
Getting the hang of things

Re: What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by riahc3 »

It's such a piece of **, that we use it as a temporary file server where all the crap goes.
dtiertant
Starting out

Post by dtiertant »

TS-469-Pro (RAID10)

Home use:

- Media storage with SMB shares accessed by my Boxee Box media player
- PC backup and archiving

Work use:

- PC backup and archiving with an SMB share for each user and 600 GB quota
- Repository for documents scanned from our network printers
- Departmental shares (Sales, Marketing, Consulting, etc.)
dan958
New here

Post by dan958 »

Kodi, Sonarr and Radarr :)
muddyman
New here

Post by muddyman »

CylonCenturion wrote:
muddyman wrote:I am wondering if i should place my qnap 419p as an target for my 300WM and give it 10 rounds with high expandable bullets. :evil:
I have more or less lost faith in the product.
How can i help you?
It has been a few months with therapy to overcome the issues with the NAS. Other project like using a hammer and construct houses and so on has helped a lot. :D

Now, back to my NAS. My biggest issue was that it stopped working as i Time Machine backup station for my mac. THAT was really bad. I did not know how to fix this even looking through some older post threads in this forum. Not a chance what so ever. So, what did i do to solve that? I installed the latest firmware and reset the whole NAS box back to basic. It deleted everything. All my old non accessible backups was gone with that light breeze. The best thing that happened was that the NAS eventually start working after this. I was able of doing backup from my MacBook. YAY! I have 4 x 2 TB HD`s in that NAS and i allocated 4 TB for my Time Machine backup.

What do i want to do next? I have no idea. I would like to have my own website and mail server, but my programming skills are at a negative 0 level. Many people says, "Just" do this and do "that", and you will be fine. Maybe if someone could make me an idiot proof failsafe way of doing it, i may consider it. But right now, i have a happy life with my family and don´t want other things that require me using days and nights trying understand what went wrong and how to fix it.
But i would like to get in contact with a high skilled programmer that can build professional website for business with shopping option and some other features. I am probably better off getting those folks near me.

I have not yet touched my rifle. But the ammo is still there. :)
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

muddyman wrote:
CylonCenturion wrote:
muddyman wrote:I am wondering if i should place my qnap 419p as an target for my 300WM and give it 10 rounds with high expandable bullets. :evil:
I have more or less lost faith in the product.
How can i help you?
It has been a few months with therapy to overcome the issues with the NAS. Other project like using a hammer and construct houses and so on has helped a lot. :D

Now, back to my NAS. My biggest issue was that it stopped working as i Time Machine backup station for my mac. THAT was really bad. I did not know how to fix this even looking through some older post threads in this forum. Not a chance what so ever. So, what did i do to solve that? I installed the latest firmware and reset the whole NAS box back to basic. It deleted everything. All my old non accessible backups was gone with that light breeze. The best thing that happened was that the NAS eventually start working after this. I was able of doing backup from my MacBook. YAY! I have 4 x 2 TB HD`s in that NAS and i allocated 4 TB for my Time Machine backup.

What do i want to do next? I have no idea. I would like to have my own website and mail server, but my programming skills are at a negative 0 level. Many people says, "Just" do this and do "that", and you will be fine. Maybe if someone could make me an idiot proof failsafe way of doing it, i may consider it. But right now, i have a happy life with my family and don´t want other things that require me using days and nights trying understand what went wrong and how to fix it.
But i would like to get in contact with a high skilled programmer that can build professional website for business with shopping option and some other features. I am probably better off getting those folks near me.

I have not yet touched my rifle. But the ammo is still there. :)
Leave the nas as it is now.
There is no mailserver application for qnap.
running a website is possible, but it requires some work.
jashoup
New here

Post by jashoup »

I am using mine for (TS-251+ with 8Gig of ram)
VPN-server
Kodi 18 client
Media server
Plex server/client
BT client
2-Camera Surveilvillance Station
Web server
martinelli
Starting out

Post by martinelli »

I use a TS-453 to hold my precious file (pix, vids, docs...) and sync them all to an old one (TS-439)
I also use the Virtualization Feature on the 453-Box, running a linux vm as a cups print server.
DLNA is also a good thing for watching videos and pictures

Both are great machines...!
martinelli

<42>
dtpantera
Starting out

Post by dtpantera »

Media storage for Kodi / iTunes. MariaDB for Kodi. Time Machine target for a couple of Macs. SabNZBd & Transmission. Other generic storage (photos, software installers, etc.) Probably totally underutilizing it.

Haven't gotten around to playing with Linux Station / Virtualization Station / Docker, but maybe someday.
CircuitWizardry
New here

Post by CircuitWizardry »

I had a smaller NAS before, and decided to upgrade, and went big, because I wanted plenty of power to transcode video on the fly...

So my TVS-1282T is doing the following:

Plex Media Server, serving movies (Blu-ray's & DVD's decoded with AnyDVD and ripped with MakeMKV), CD's ripped to FLAC, and pictures. Plex will transcode on the fly, and will sync content too and from my various devices.
Backups of all PC's: My main PC and wife's, along with an older unit I just use for running some electronics instrumentation on my electronics bench.
Local centralized storage of all content.
Ability to VPN to my NAS, so I can use it like cloud storage, always have access to my files.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

CircuitWizardry wrote:Local centralized storage of all content.
Do you also backup that content? :wink:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Alexa94
First post

Post by Alexa94 »

Hi All, this Alexa I am from US but originally from Trinidad. I am a tech enthusiast and works with Green tech solution. I found Qnap great source of information related to IT and Cybersecurity. Looking forward to more.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

well .. that's not really anything you actually DO with the qnap .. but let's look at your next posts to see what you are actually here for
Pluto46

Post by Pluto46 »

trying to get HybridDesk station to work.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Pluto46 wrote:trying to get HybridDesk station to work.
:DD

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pluto46

Post by Pluto46 »

Thanks - any suggestions to make Qnap better/faster are highly welcome in my household :-)

Return to “Miscellaneous”