What are you doing with your Qnap?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
tomras
Getting the hang of things

What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by tomras »

Sorry if this is a dumb thread, but I dont want to miss all the great feutures in this great box.

For my self it is the Download station and the ftp server running so its not that much ;) And ok I have all my family photos on the Qnap for hopefully secure.. More tips wanted.
Swedish = Spelling not good ;)
tgohkg00
Starting out

Re: What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by tgohkg00 »

I use my 109Pro at home for the following :-

1. Backup drive for my computers
2. BT download
3. FTP server - for me to access when I'm working in the office
4. Media Server
5. Now asking everyone here for help - setup syslog to log my firewall's log information.....
jhe
Starting out

Post by jhe »

I plan to use Qnap to back up my computers, which includes both Linux and Windows systems. I also use it for my music collection and it plays via Twonky to my Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver.
christian

Post by christian »

I use as a local store for all clients in our network ...
roschdworschd
Easy as a breeze

Post by roschdworschd »

local store for all clients.

in the main, sharing multimedia files
DLNA - Server for multimedia (twonky)
and ftp.

qget, as a nice tool, helps me downloading difficult big files, so i can shutdown my pc´s

and last but not least, my dream for the future, a photoalbum, easy to use, access from internet....
QNAP T209IIPro Multimedia-Server - V3.30 (924) - working
QNAP T209 Backup-Server - V3.30 (924) - working

Router Linksys WRT 54GS (Radio Link 1 km to DSL) and T-DSL-RAM (Pilot Project)- working
Audio - Player Terratec Noxon2audio and Jupiter6.2 - working
MM-Player Linksys Kiss1600 - working usually

Windows - Mix - plug and pray - Network;-) (inkl. Win7) - working
julius3000
Starting out

Post by julius3000 »

Where I use my QNAP TS-109 for atm;

Backup/store (NAS) for music, movies and my pictures
Bittorrent downloads (hopefully in the future also usenet downloads)

FTP, reaching my pictures also from other places

Things I'm planning to do; irssi irc client (is it possible to install it?)
print server
music server, serving music for my Freecom MP350 WLAN mediaplayer (atm not compatible with twonky :( but can connect via nas)
Using a Qnap TS-109 Turbo Station (firmware version 1.1.4 build 1207T) with a Samsung Spinpoint F1 750 GB hdd
drsatan

Post by drsatan »

While I am still working on getting it working exactly how I want I use my 209 for: (by we, I mean my wife and I)

-BT downloader
-Media storage (to then play via xbox)
-Data back-up (we have two laptops we use and also a desktop which isn't used often)
-Data storage (using the user network folders to store our own files. Not sure if this is needed as we have our own laptops - still playing)
-External access to files/downloads
-Print Server

Going forward we will likely:
-Access our emails
-Website

Still working through it all though
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Nice topic, made it sticky :wink:

Don't forget with the aid of Ipkg you can do so much more, here's the list of available packages for Ts-x09 NAS.
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
=============================================================>>>
roschdworschd
Easy as a breeze

Post by roschdworschd »

Thank you , Andy, for this tip....wau....
IPKG is a great powerful tool. Even as a beginner, I am thrilled. Here are the tools that you otherwise missing. :)
QNAP T209IIPro Multimedia-Server - V3.30 (924) - working
QNAP T209 Backup-Server - V3.30 (924) - working

Router Linksys WRT 54GS (Radio Link 1 km to DSL) and T-DSL-RAM (Pilot Project)- working
Audio - Player Terratec Noxon2audio and Jupiter6.2 - working
MM-Player Linksys Kiss1600 - working usually

Windows - Mix - plug and pray - Network;-) (inkl. Win7) - working
eeeuser1
Know my way around

Post by eeeuser1 »

I bought 2 209-pro's for work, set them up identically and mirrored data.

My works intranet runs on asp on w2k server and has a large section pointing to PDF's on the Qnap, our companies pdf library if you wish.

It was way cheaper than getting the storage capacity on windows and backing it up etc.
A quick change of IP address and the duplicate can replace the main one for disaster recovery.
Plus we split the load/data about which also limits losses on failure of H/W.

A bit boring, but very useful.

I await an official mail server package from Qnap then i'll get 2 more as well.
adnovea
Easy as a breeze

Post by adnovea »

Good idea to share the main purpose of our QNAP server

I'm a Senior consultant in multimedia and need to share my work with my customers in a very confidential way.
So I needed a real and not too expensive solution for it.

:? Previously, I had very bad experiences with something call a Micro-SAN SC-101 from N*****r that was simply useless (I wasted my money).
It destroyed my data every other months and went to the trash in less than 6 months.
Then I put RAID cards in 2 of my PCs (probably too cheap cards). But they were rebuilding the mirror at least once a day.
One day, one card crashed both disks simultaneously but I have very few confidence in sofware so I always have my data backuped at least 3 times.

I do manage lot of data (hundred of giga) so, up to now, the only things I have to say about the TS-209 Pro is the slowness and its too specific OS.
But it seems to be a very opened machine anyway.
I want to install a Mail server on it and it will fulfill my needs (still not succeeded - I'm reading lot of forums!!!)
A bit boring, but very useful.

I await an official mail server package from Qnap then i'll get 2 more as well.
I share this comment at 200%
Thanks for the very good forum and QNAP support. :D
Last edited by adnovea on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See my other projects at Sourceforge & Instructables
xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

I'm using it to backup several gigs of data from several computers at home and to also consolidate all my media (music, videos, photos) on a single server.

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453AQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch, In Wall AP
Earendil

Post by Earendil »

My TS-101 has 9 functions or so Qnap says but I try to exercise it as much as possible.
  • Use as a web server (still trying to get this off the ground since free CMS' are not very intuitive)
  • Media server - works with my Ziova CS505 media player.
  • Multimedia station for pictures - believe it or not the CS505 locks up on displaying rotated JPEGs!
  • NAS - both public and individual storage for all members of my family
  • FTP server - for the quickest file transfers and TS-101 file permission changes
  • 500 GB QRAID mirroring through USB of the internal 500 GB HDD
  • 500 GB HDD through USB as file server - for sensitive data
  • 500 GB HDD through eSATA as backup - for automatic weekly Acronis backup of four HDDs in two computers (I have eight total computers on my LAN including the TS-101)
  • Bittorrent, er, umm, Linux distributions - yeah, that's still legal
I've installed the MySQL, part of the KBPack and have got CMS using MySQL to work. I have a DynamicDNS setup but use my gateway to keep that updated, not the TS-101. Unfortunately the TS-101 is too slow as a web serer for all but the lightest applications. This is why I am looking toward the TS-109 Pro, TS-209 Pro and so forth.
Earendil
- TS-101 (v2.3.0 build 0825T) with a 2 TB WD green HDD
- TS-209 Pro (died during firmware update, too old to recover)
- TS-231 (latest firmware) with two 3 TB WD red HDDs in RAID 1
- TS-431P2-4G (latest firmware) with four 8 TB WD white HDDs in RAID 5
- A fifteen HDD XigmaNAS system (130 TB) in three RAID 5's
webregit

Post by webregit »

tomras wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb thread, but I dont want to miss all the great feutures in this great box.

For my self it is the Download station and the ftp server running so its not that much ;) And ok I have all my family photos on the Qnap for hopefully secure.. More tips wanted.
SENDING IT BACK!
================================================
TS-409 Pro Turbo
4x750 Hitachi Ultrastar A7K1000
Raid 5
Alert Notification
The system cannot send the test e-mail, please check your settings.

My settings are fine, please check YOUR settings!
================================================
ronc

Post by ronc »

My 209 (no RAID, but now wish I'd gone RAID0 for maybe better latency) is a media server and webserver, plus maybe a BT downloader if I ever get that to work!

The web server bit may be of interest to some:

I have cataloged all my DVD's using "DVD Profiler" and the UPC number on the barcode. A public database gives full details of the DVD, plus cover images (like Gracenote, but free). From DVD Profiler, I export the DVD database as XML.

From the XML file, a PHP application running on the 209 builds an alpha sorted master title index--some day I'll add category sub-indexes. This is only done when the PHP app determines the XML file has changed; data are written to flat files on the NAS. As well as the index, some of the XML metadata details like description, run time, etc are also cached as flat files for fast access. Each night, a cron job copies cover images to the web server images dir that don't exist. or are newer (cp -u).

The PHP page that provides the master DVD index is accessed on my TV via a Netgear EVA700 and WizD running on a Linux box (must try a cross compile of that for the ARM someday). So the Netgear displays the NAS provided PHP master index a page at a time (12 titles) on the TV. The remote (a Phillips Pronto 9600 with full VGA touch screen that can drive all the IR stuff in the house, plus send TCPIP commands to things on the network via G.11) lets me page around the collection. Each name links to a dynamic HTML page formatted from the cached metadata which shows the cover picture and details of the DVD (runtime, year, etc). This page has Play and Back buttons top and bottom. Back goes back to where you were in the master index, but Play...

I've ordered a de-zoned Sony ESX777 400 disc carousel. When this finally arrives, pressing "play" on the detail page will send RS232 codes to the 777 to select the disc (the slot is stored in the metadata maintained via DVD Profiler). The Pronto will also at this point switch the TV over from the Netgear Entertainer gizmo to the Sony, and reconfigure itself as a DVD controller (that much works right now for a different DVD player).

For the few DVDs I have that are double sided, I've converted them to AVI and stored them on the NAS. At the moment, I can play them through the Twonky menu, but if I can figure out a way, I'll get the "Play" on the info pages generated from the master index to serve them as if they were coming from a dual layer DVD (except no menu, nor chapters). This works great in SD over the wireless lan, but I suspect that when I go HD, I'll have to hard wire the LAN connection (and replace the EVA700 with an EVA8000).

The NAS also serves audiobooks through the household AV setup (B&O like the TV) using the Twonky, plus photos. Strangely, for music, I still prefer actual CDs! No real idea why...

Image Image

Return to “Miscellaneous”