What are you doing with your Qnap?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
kanylbullen
Starting out

Re: What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by kanylbullen »

I used a standard windows install stick, same as I use when i install my laptops, except i used 32 bit. Just reboot the qnap, enter BIOS and change boot order to include the USB stick.

The DOM was broken so I ordered a new one on ebay. Replacing the DOM was a piece of cake.
ErTnEc
Starting out

Post by ErTnEc »

I've the following setup at home:

TS-670 (Semi-Ultra):
  • Upgraded CPU to i5 3470T
  • 16Gb RAM
  • 6 x WD60EFRX (6TB WD Red Drives)
  • QTS 4.2 (18/11/2015 FW)
REXP-1000 Pro
  • 10 x WD60EFRX (6TB WD Red Drives)
Enabled Services
  • NFS/CIFS
  • rsync
  • Plex
  • Virtualization Station

Use it primarily to run Plex, and also to store various ROMs & such which I have an old Revo R3600 set up as an emulation box (snes/nes, genesis, mame, etc), as well as store my own data & act as an rsync backup for an externally hosted VPS. I've got an i7 3770T to go in it when I get time, to give it a bit more umph for Plex, as it can be transcoding/streaming to 3-4 devices at any one time at the moment.

Also run 2 VM's on it, 1 hosts CouchPotato & SickRage (was getting more and more annoyed with the QNAP installable versions due to SSL never working) so set those up on a Debian install, and have a second Debian VM running as a gateway between various things (EvoHome API) and a Graphite server hosted elsewhere.

Between CouchPotato & SickRage, currently filling it up at a rate of around 300Gb a week.
TS-670 "ULTRA" + :twisted:
  • Intel Core i7 3770T
  • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Performance RAM
  • 2xNoctua NF-A9 PWM Fans
  • 6xWD60EFRX HDD's
  • SAS-6G2E-D Dual-wide-port storage expansion card.
REXP-1000 Pro
  • 2xNoctua NF-S12A PWM Fans
  • 10xWD60EFRX HDD's
giopas
Been there, done that

Post by giopas »

Here is what I have put on my QNAP:

- file server with authomatic picture camera upload
- DownloadStation & QTransmission (to get up to date :) )
- Kodi (to watch my movie library)
- Plex (just for testing purpose)
- KeyBox (to access ssh terminal from web)
- QPydio (to share reharsal recordings with my band)
- Reverse Proxy (to jump corporate firewall on specific resources)
- Surveillance Station
- Netflix (through Google Chrome)

No VM or similar by now.
Qnap TS-253Pro 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 2 WRed 4TB (RAID 1)
Qnap TS-453A 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 4 WRed 4TB (RAID 5)
GJMichels
New here

Post by GJMichels »

Using it primary as a place to store my iTunes library. Lots and lots of movies, TV shows and music (approaching 1.75 TB). I tie it into cheap notebook that always runs iTunes, and use it sort of as a server. To send content via Apple TV to my TV. That way, I do not have to use my regular computer to run iTunes whenever I want to watch the content. Works well so far. The computer is set up (Windows 10) to automatically reboot at 3AM, and restart iTunes. I had a problem with it running continuously, soemthing always glitched. The daily reboot solved that problem.

Also use the QNAP as a general backup for other computer files.

One thing I'd like to find out is how to back up my iTunes library from the QNAP to a USB drive on a regular basis. Can that be done by attaching a USB drive to the 3.0 USB port on the QNAP? Can it be automated?
kwslark
Starting out

Post by kwslark »

We use ours for only one purpose, but it's a beast of a purpose.

We have a TVS-1271U-RP-i7-32G that is populated with 12 HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB drives and a REXP-1200-RP with the same 12 drives, plus (2) 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSDs for cache and the QNAP LAN-10G2T-U 10GbE card.

It holds the online video post production projects for three editors, an animator/gfx artist, and a colorist. 65% of the projects are shot on a RED Epic Dragon (6k video), the remainder on Canon 5Ds and C300s. So far, it's done an excellent job. We've tested all five edit bays working on the same .R3D file with no lag or slow down, the QNAP isn't even working that hard.
panq-user
Starting out

Post by panq-user »

I have Qnap TS-251 with two 2Gb HDDs which is part of RAID1.

After first week I'm little bit confused in all terms and meaning what I see in QNAP. And now I'm trying to fit me needs into "rich" (and very slow) functionally of this NAS server.

1. I have a photo catalog (RAW photos) which I would like to have an access from Lightroom (from my Mac)
2. I have a video collection of home videos + some sort of movies, cartoons, concerts etc.. which I would like to be able watch on TV (plus upload new stuff there, remove unnecessary etc)
3. I have Music collection which I would like to keep there but I have no idea how to listen it, yet :)
3.1 one case: listen it on smartphone when I'm outside of apartment
3.2 another case: listen it on Mac
3.3 rare case: listen it on TV
4. It would be nice to have TimeMachine backup there
5. And sometimes download something (inc. p2p networks)

Result after first week
#1 everything very easy :)
#2 absolutely upset :( HD station is very slow, Video station completely ignore my folder structure (of course I still be able to switch to folder view). With video I kinda disappointed.
#3 I've no idea. How do you use Music station ??? what the use case ?
#4 did not tried
#5 I've tried transmition but it won't work with one click, I abandoned this idea for now

Why almost everything called station? It's a very strange naming.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

panq-user wrote:#2 absolutely upset HD station is very slow, Video station completely ignore my folder structure (of course I still be able to switch to folder view). With video I kinda disappointed.
Don't know what is riding people using Video Station - a Web Application - on the HD Station. Use Kodi for local playback on the HDMI in any case ... so nothing is slow. ..and Kodi does allow to access based on folders - problem solved, too.

Key in the Media Library based Apps (like Photo/Music/Video Station) is not any folder structure - it's about tags, it's about titles, it's about actors, and much more which is indexed and can be accessed. For folder based access - use applications accessing folders ... not a database representing a virtual copy of a folder structure, which can change, needs update on a simple rename, ...
panq-user
Starting out

Post by panq-user »

Thanks for tip, but now I more confused than before :)
Kodi can't find anything (any file) it can found only via nfs.
I run HD Station. Then Select Kodi. Then Video -> Files
Then I see
Multimedia
USBDisk
Add videos...

Because nor present two folder has any of my video, I clicked Add videos. There are only 3 local folders visible (Home folder, Root filesystem and Video playlist) others are network oriented (NFS, UPnP, SAP etc). How can I found my files ?

It looks like System in the system :) Kodi has a lot of features what I see. It looks like own system on top on HD Station. And not like HDStation application.
Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

...go over the root file system... Not near to a Kodi system as of writing ... probably you sill see the /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/[yourfoldername]

HD Station is just a run time environment ... permitting to launch different applications, as ie. Kodi. Kodi is a perrty powerful media player environment. And no, you don't' have to access the NAS data over the network (ie. NFS). Multimedia and USBdisk[n] is preconfigured - you own user shares are not.
panq-user
Starting out

Post by panq-user »

Thanks it works!! not very smooth, but much much better than before :)
mistofeles
Starting out

Post by mistofeles »

So far only family data and documents.
I'm dreaming about getting totally rid off our family disk servers.

If I somehow manage to insert my own Album program there, I'll move all our family photos, pictures, CAD and such there from our other home servers.
If I manage to set up phplot to our TS419P II, I move the data collecting and visualization of our home IoT there too.

If I don't manage, I'll move the disks to some of our home servers and drop the device to flea market.
If I manage, I might consider getting a Qnap box with faster network or at least faster system and leave this for backup.
4Mbps is a nuisance in 100Mbps fibre line.
Jooki
Getting the hang of things

Post by Jooki »

I'd like to install W Server 2012 r2 to use the WDS service on my ts-453 pro, but I'm not quite sure if it'll work properly.

I'm sorry if said already, been reading a bit but haven't found anything like that.

I figure this is a good place to start asking, does that ring a bell to anyone?
qwerty6000
Starting out

Post by qwerty6000 »

TS453 PRO with 4 x 3tb WD Reds in a RAID5. Gigabit network.

Mainly for family data (photos / videos / etc), some media content which is streamed in various shapes and forms.... and a couple of vmware hosts (using NFS) ... a 2012R2 exchange box and a couple of other vm's that do a few things for me.

6 IP cameras also dump their videos to it.

Oh and storage of my shadow protect backup images from laptop & main study PC.

Sync everything (minus media content thats unimportant) to a large External USB drive that lives elsehwere for "house burns down" protection (there's two drives , we swap them out every couple of weeks... which is enough insurance for me).

It's on "display" in the main loungeroom alongside yamaha aventage apps ... so i messed around in SSH to make the backlight stay lit, and alternating messages appear on the qnaps screen.

At work we deal with much larger / faster QNAPs, primarily secondary storage for backups and offsite replication etc.
John C
Starting out

Post by John C »

No, this is a good thread. I can't use my QNAP for anything, because I found I don't understand anything. I bought the TS 251+ and now realize I am WAY out of my depth. I have resigned myself to being able to only do the most basic of things, but I may be failing even at that. So the question is: is there an absolute basic tutorial somewhere about the 251+, or maybe any other box, that tells me how to do things? I know you will all say "read the manuals", etc, but, honestly, they assume so much I can't get past page 1. I would appreciate any recommendations to a very basic start point.

Here's what I'm looking to do:
- I have 2 drives in it, RAID 1, know what that means, but I don't know what it implies I can or can't do. Right now, I can only access one. I assume that's because the other is making a direct copy automatically and I can't access it. I don't want that, but I WOULD like some automatic backups, and I'd like to create the folders myself, and then select certain ones for backup at regular intervals. I'd also like to backup my home server (hope I'm using the term in an understandable way - I mean my home "computer" that is connected to my router). I just read that I need to learn Linux to do that - is that true? I was referred to some software that will backup a virtual machine. I don't know what that means, I want to back up a REAL machine. See what you're dealing with here?
Please help. Just a link to an understandable tutorial? I can't use this apparently amazing device except as a remote hard drive. Is that all it is, basically?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you are a bit off topic here asking questions
- I have 2 drives in it, RAID 1, know what that means, but I don't know what it implies I can or can't do. Right now, I can only access one. I assume that's because the other is making a direct copy automatically and I can't access it.
Please read up on RAID levels, it only shows you a(or several depending it is configured) RAID/storage volume, however that is build in the background is non transparent for the user (RAID 0,1,5,6,10), besides in the administration interface
I don't want that, but I WOULD like some automatic backups, and I'd like to create the folders myself, and then select certain ones for backup at regular intervals.
Check the QNAP manual for the shared folder creation, and choose an appropriate backup method for your environment (there plenty)

Also don't forget, if you use the QNAP as a primary storage for data, be sure to make backups of the QNAP (also described in the manual)
I want to back up a REAL machine. See what you're dealing with here?
No Virtualization or linux skills required , for instance google for "backup windows computer to network"
I can't use this apparently amazing device except as a remote hard drive.
Yes you can, check the manual , gives you multiple optionsto do that

Return to “Miscellaneous”