What are you doing with your Qnap?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
kmart
First post

Re: What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by kmart »

well i used to store photos and music which i streamed to my tv and amp using Twonky.But for the last few months it sits whirring away in the corner without actually doing any thing.A few months ago i had one of the Qnap support guys look over my system it took him 3.5 Hours to get me access to Qfinder pro which refused to recognise my password.For this great effort i am very grateful.i now have access but nothing works i cant update apps cant upload i cant stream anything basically it's useless and i have just about had enough wasting time with a device which at times did what i wanted and that was to access my music down stairs. :x
accessrandom
New here

Post by accessrandom »

I'm running two TS-431P's as a repository for 1080p media for a Plex server (that is not on a QNAP)

I'm running a TS-451:

- to backup files from 10 computers on the network
- to run a Virtualization Station VM for downloading
- to run a VM as an all-around test-bed
- to run a Container Station docker for a Minecraft Server
jameshenderson
Getting the hang of things

Post by jameshenderson »

Hi all,

I have recently got a TS-453Bmini and loving it (just got rid of my old trusty TS-410).

I am using it mainly to hold my media for Plex. I used to run the Plex media server off an old iMac (worked very well), but now trying the PMS app on the QNAP itself - so far I have been pleasantly surprised being able to stream locally and to a few remote clients (all family). I wasn't sure if the QNAP would keep up, but so far it has. One of the clients is on the other (wrong?) side of the pond ;-)

I also have my Mac backed up to it but am thinking about how to back-up all the media (5.6TB). Right now I am still using Crashplan (running from my Mac) - I transferred to "Crashplan for business" after Crashplan stopped their consumer service - the 1st year was 75% off, so no harm in giving it a go.

I would love to be able to securely sync my media with another QNAP at my dad's house but am constantly worried about how to do this securely.

I have also fancied setting up my own Wordpress site on it (currently being hosted elsewhere) but the QNAP app seems very out of date.
TS-453Bmini + 4x 4TB Western Digital Reds (RAID5) - Plex Media Server
Metria
Getting the hang of things

Post by Metria »

Love the idea of sharing what we are doing. I am making Money!

I am using a TS-563, as a remote server for a legal firm, that pays me monthly. They have 4 users that log in via remote desktop daily and do there work. It only has 8GB of memory, and works perfectly using Server 2012R2. They use office, Word Perfect, Quickbooks, and Needles - a legal software database package that uses SQL Anywhere 16. I give the VM all 4 cores, and 2.5GB of memory. I am also using a TVS-863+ 16GB Memory to run a private mail server using Xeams which works wonderfully as long as you use XEAMS QPKG to start and not QNAP's. I am trying to use qmail agent as a web mail client, however it has been months trying to get it to work with multiple users. Duplicate emails, constant polling for email all users at the same time using all processor time, now no polling for email. I have a Ticket open with QNAP and not getting anywhere fast, although every once in a while they change things. Another TVS-863+ 16GB using virtual server 2016, as a vuze torrent machine, I have it working well but do have performance issues with memory and swap files eating all my memory- Microsoft Networking (Samba issues), Turning of Swap Files has cured it although it's not the right answer. I May scale it back to server 2012R2 to see if it helps, if I can't figure it out. I have a 10GB connection between the 2 TVS-863+s that works great, but not for the VM's VM on one nas to the VM on the 2nd Nas's and the speed is abismal. Have a ticket open with QNap for that as well.

I love these things and am learning every day!
Ragnite_Powered
New here

Post by Ragnite_Powered »

I feel like I've been missing on all of what you can do with your NAS... I felt like it was already quite pushing it to have on one hand music and movies AND domotics on the others, but there's a whole world that's opening to me. I'm impressed, unironically.
UlyssesWolf
New here

Post by UlyssesWolf »

Seti@home (via Boinc in a lubuntu vm utilising 2 cores); Sonarr; Radarr; Couchpotato; Sabnzbd; nzbGet; PMS; Music Library; Photo Library; Film & TV library.

QNAP TS-253b rocks.
samwiseb193
New here

Post by samwiseb193 »

I am a home user with 2 QNAP units.
One serves as a dedicated media & DLNA server. The other I use as a file storage repository.
Current QNAP hardware:
QNAP TS-419P+
4 x WD Red 2.0TB 3.5" 5400RPM SATA HDD (in RAID5)

QNAP TS-509 Pro
5 x WD Red 2.0TB 3.5" 5400RPM SATA HDD (in RAID6)
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

I turned my "extra" 469L into HDHomeRun DVR storage .......
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

this is my situation:

- File server and Backup Server
- 2 VM unning, one Win7 and one Win10, win7 for downloading, Win10 for working on WebApp Java based
- Kodi, i'm still using Kodi on it via HD station as main Streaming server for HD Music and FHD movies
- Plex media server for streaming Movies and Music from my library when i'm away from home
- Backup 2 Gmail account via QMailClient
- Hosting 2 Joomla CMS websites
- TimeMachine backup station for my mac

Still not used any Container station since i don't have any reason for it
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

Using my new TVS-872XT for a bunch of things, although basic ones:

- File server for ALL my files (and before you ask, yes, I have several backups, some stored outside my household),
- Media storage for my iTunes (on 5 Macs), Kodi, DLNA, as well as LightRoom and Final Cut Pro,
- Access to my files via Qfile,
- Bragging rights for having a NAS that reads at over 1000MB/s:)

I want to start using it for more, now that it is all set up, but for now that's it...
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
Richz7
Starting out

Post by Richz7 »

At the moment I am just exploring the possibilities...

I have all my media digitised and handled by Plex, serving my TV, the apples and PC's around the house as well as enabling me to watch stuff in hotels (I work away from home),

I have several VM's which I run including some legacy system Mainframe OS's

I use it to keep my timesheets/invoices etc etc available on line (I'm not allowed to take my personal laptop into work), along with technical documents that I have collected over the years.
it keeps automated backups using Acronis for my laptop and phone and Timemachine for the Macs in the house.
It keeps a backup of my girlfriends NAS
and finally acts as a gateway to Amazon Glacier, putting all of the above into the cloud as an off site backup.

I'm currently looking at the VPN side of things.
Thanks and Regards,

Rich
36Tb Raid 5 TVS-673
Mr_Badger_seth
First post

Post by Mr_Badger_seth »

Mainly storage and backup at the moment from the laptops and PC's
Films and TV shows on plex
Photos

AND running a small Minecraft server via kitemtic(1.12.2) and Zuzkins (1.13.2) minecraft dockers.

So good.

But I need to find out how to unlock the possibilities of this box, I have a mate who is an IT tech and was blown away by it.
arrgeek
First post

Post by arrgeek »

As a new user, I used it only for Backup for now :)
Richz7
Starting out

Post by Richz7 »

<Kiddie in a sweetshop moment>

And I've just bought 32Gb of ram and 2 Crucial 1Tb SSD's....

</kism>
Thanks and Regards,

Rich
36Tb Raid 5 TVS-673
jman311
Starting out

Post by jman311 »

Richz7 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:42 pm <Kiddie in a sweetshop moment>

[...]
I read this ^ as sweatshop. :shock: Completely different meaning.

Return to “Miscellaneous”