authorized_keys overwritten at reboot

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
harryd
New here

Re: authorized_keys overwritten at reboot

Post by harryd »

I can confirm the exitence of the 'admin@Richard-TS209' in Firmware 2.0.1 Build 0324T :evil:
QNAPAndy wrote:got it, def be on high priority for this issue. thanks for the info
Whats the status?

Regards, harryd
ronc
Getting the hang of things

Post by ronc »

Late last year at the start of this thread, QNAPAndy said:
Hi Codex22,

Place your file on the hard drive first and follow this guide below to automatically copy the file from hard disk to root's home every time you reboot the device.

Andy
The link is now broken--apparently due to a forum reorg--and try to intuit 1875 references as I might, I can't find it. As I've installed my own keys and had a private rant about the built-in security hole for "Richard", I'm rather keen to be sure my keys survive a restart. Would be nice if the info was sticky, and apologies in advance if it is and I just need to told to shaddup and siddown (as long as I'm also told where it is :wink: )

RonC
codex22
New here

Post by codex22 »

ronc
Getting the hang of things

Post by ronc »

Thanks. I'd seen that one but didn't realize it was the one in question as it only seemed to talk about the autorun script. Anwyay, I've added the following to the autorun file to overwrite QNAP Richard's back door access (joke):

Code: Select all

echo "[public key string]" > /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
And that does the job. Is there a post somewhere that explains what all those /dev/mtdb* things do?
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

I confirmed that it's been removed now and the changes will be applied in the next firmware update soon, thanks for reminding for my bad memory.

by the way they are flash partitions on the NAS only.
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
skirmani
First post

Post by skirmani »

QNAPAndy wrote:I confirmed that it's been removed now and the changes will be applied in the next firmware update soon, thanks for reminding for my bad memory.

by the way they are flash partitions on the NAS only.
Hey Andy,

Hope this "default" authorized_keys file issue is resolved soon. It does effect the security of our files.

Regards,

Shahzad
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

thanks for the letting us know and it's been removed from our firmware daily builds now. :D
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
SteveWilhelm
New here

Post by SteveWilhelm »

This is also an issue with TS-109 as well. I just installed and found the same default authorized_key for admin@Richard-TS209.

How can I remove this permanently?
symphys
Know my way around

Post by symphys »

It would be nice to have a page in the webinterpage where authorized_keys could be changed. So the user doesn't have to login after a restart and change the file with vi...
QNAP TS-209 Pro, RAID1 with Samsung 2Tb HDDs
Firmware features used: FTP, Samba, SSH, Twonky UPnP MediaServer
UPnP Clients: Philips Cineos Flat TV 42PFL9703D, Dell XPS M1710 Windows 7 Ultimate, PlugPlayer with backgrounder on iPhone
Optware features: OpenVPN, Subversion
haraku
First post

Post by haraku »

Nope, just installed the latest firmware (2.0.1 Build 080416), and Richard's back door is still there...
Fortunately the workaround mentioned by ronc
still works.
entropy
Starting out

Post by entropy »

haraku wrote:Nope, just installed the latest firmware (2.0.1 Build 080416), and Richard's back door is still there...
Fortunately the workaround mentioned by ronc
still works.
It appears that this is *finally* fixed in the latest firmware I installed on my ts-409 pro -- 2.1.0 Build 0624T. I commented the above mentioned fix out of my autorun.sh and rebooted, and I no longer see Richards keys in my .ssh dir. I haven't tried putting my own keys on to make sure they survive a reboot yet, but I'm assuming since richards keys are no longer there, it isnt' trying to copy them on boot anymore.

Code: Select all

[admin@NAS ~]# ls -la /root/.ssh/
drwx------    2 admin    administ     1024 Jul 15 08:35 ./
drwxr-xr-x    5 admin    administ     1024 Jul 15 14:56 ../

Return to “Miscellaneous”