QTS Hero - Constant Disk Activity

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
JohnRostershire
First post

QTS Hero - Constant Disk Activity

Post by JohnRostershire »

Hey Pals,

I got myself a fancy new QNAP TS-h973AX-32G Nas here for my doodly Office to replace me old Synology.

It is working all nice and dandy but for whatever reason it is constantly accessing the Harddisks inside. I have the System on an SSD Raid (Storage Pool 1) and I also have 2 U.2 SSDs that are installed as (all E/A) ZIL and Read Cache (with some serious GBs I tell ya). There is only 2 VMs (ubuntu Server) running on the machine that I also had running on my ole Synology. The Synology was super quiet, but the QNAP is really driving me nuts with what seems constant read or write operations to the HDDs inside of which 2 are WD Red 6TB, 1 WD Red Pro 14TB and 2 ole Seagate NAS Drives with 3TB each. It seems that the WD Pro is the noisy one.

Is this because of QTS Hero and the new ZFS stuff? Or ist it because the WD Red Pro does something fancy, and if so can I stop it? Will switching to ye ole QTS help here? I mainly use that baby for virtualizing some small Serverinhos that I use in my Homelab. Not much File Transfer going on, but I do have a 10GBe Network here at home.

Thanks my mates for some help!

Ya friend John.
Mylek
New here

Re: QTS Hero - Constant Disk Activity

Post by Mylek »

My solution has been to fail md9 / md13 off of the spinning disks. This should work as long as you have at least one SSD to run the device but two would be ideal. You'll need to determine which disks are your SSDs and then fail the other disks that are part md9 / md13. This resets after every reboot and would need to be reapplied.

Can use this command to determine which disk is which based on the size:
fdisk -l |grep Disk

I go over the specifics of failing the disks in my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=161531&start=30#p797793

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”