Hard Disks do not spin down - QTS 4.2.2 Build 20161102

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Re: Hard Disks do not spin down - QTS 4.2.2 Build 20161102

Post by Ron1963 »

So the consensus seems to be the issue has not (completely) been mitigated for everybody. Has anybody by chance already applied again the two temporary fixes published before on the 20161208 FW? I have noticed that the network.sh file has been changed in this release at least (more lines), but the line which needed to be remarked with the # is still the same. Same goes with the line in the lock_timer.sh file. There is still "-f" instead of "-s"

I now also see new FW dated 20161214 for my 253. In the log there is an additional spindown fix mentioned when MyQNAPCloud services was used (which I don't) so this probably doesn't bring anything in this area for me. Will try the new FW20161214 anyway.
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253
rmmeli
Starting out

Post by rmmeli »

Installed the 20161214 firmware. Still the same issue.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

rmmeli wrote:Installed the 20161214 firmware. Still the same issue.
the changelog shows it only fixed a specific issue with Hard disk spin down and not all issues with spin down.

Code: Select all

QTS 4.2.2 Build 20161214

[Bug fixes] 

- Fixed an issue where bluetooth devices would not appear on the list of media streaming devices in Music Station on non-x86-based models.
- Fixed an issue where using myQNAPcloud service would make x86-based and ARM-based models unable to enter disk standy mode.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
onesolo
Starting out

Post by onesolo »

rmmeli wrote:Installed the 20161214 firmware. Still the same issue.
Wow, I just found out that I also have the same!!!

I never thought that this bug would come back again...
Is it so hard to get this things done and work??
Qnap TS-212P with 2x2TB HDDs (RAID 1)
dolan.m
Starting out

Post by dolan.m »

For me 20161214 on TS-251+ seems to work. Still I have to apply the pre-condition described here:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=118677
This continues to be a mystery for me.
manny2003
Getting the hang of things

Post by manny2003 »

Tried the last firmware 20161214. Seems way better. I do not have any clicky noise as before and the NAS goes and remains into sleep sometimes also for a couple of hours. The only problem is that it is more difficult to go to sleep compared to the 20160901. Obviously I tested the NAS with the exact same config between releases, everything is disabled but PPTP VPN Server and myQnapCloud. blkMonitor shows some getcfg from time to time, so I have tried the patch_wireless_config comment fix. Let's see if this will help.
Qnap NAS: HS-251+ OS Ver. 5.0.1.2277 | HD: 2x WD40EFRX | RAID: 1 | Used OS: Windows 10 x64
Qnap NAS: TS-251-4GB OS Ver. 5.0.1.2277 | HD: 1x WD40EFRX | RAID: 0 | Used OS: Windows 10 x64
dodgers30
Starting out

Post by dodgers30 »

I noticed that 20161216 firmware is now available for the TS-x53A models
Model: TS-453A Firmware: QTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324
90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety »

I had the same problem , then it dawned on me, through experience of updating firmware on Android devices , it is always good practice to to factory reset afterward

I updated to 20161214 initially after the firmware update the HDDS would not spin down at all , since the advanced ( factory reset ) , the disks spin down just fine
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

My tests since yesterday:

TS-269L, wired ethernet port, LAN router (internet gateway) switched-off, DHCP switched-off, WINS switched-off, LMB switched-off, UPnP switched-off, Bonjour switched-off, no Twonky, multimedia on, Photo Station on, DLNA media server on, HD Station on (but HDMI cable pulled off), QTS v. 4.2.2:
rolled-back to (20160901) - NAS stands-by
(20161021) - NAS does NOT go into stand-by mode
(20161028) - NAS does NOT go stand-by
(20161104) - NAS does NOT go stand-by
(20161214) - NAS does NOT go stand-by
rolled-back to (20160901) and switched-on the router (gateway) - NAS does go into stand-by mode
re-upgraded to (20161214) - NAS stands-by
WINS switched-on - NAS does NOT go into stand-by;
WINS back switched-off - NAS goes into stand-by;
Service discovery (UPnP) switched-on - NAS goes into stand-by;
Bonjour switched-on - NAS goes into stand-by;

It looks WINS is the one making-trouble-guy with my setup :ashamed:
BTW why system cooling fan (auto mode) is running in standby (idle) mode? Makes some noise :oops:
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

ja666 wrote:It looks WINS is the one making-trouble-guy with my setup
....seriously still operating WINS servers - almost in the year 2017?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ja666 wrote:BTW why system cooling fan (auto mode) is running in standby (idle) mode? Makes some noise :oops:
Because the NAS itself is still active and needs some cooling. Even disks are still active, they have only stopped spinning.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

-----
schumaku wrote:seriously still operating WINS servers - almost in the year 2017?
There is a 'WINS servers address' field in most of my latest (2014/15) office equipment, i.e. network printers and scanners etc.
So I activated WINS in TS-269L and put that NAS address in the above fields (also in Windows network adavnced preferences), while 'DNS first, than WINS' if given a choice.
To be honest I have an impression LAN devices recognition is easier/quicker with WINS activated, devices are not 'dissapearing' (re: countless posts 'my NAS/ my whatever not seen in the network').

-----
P3R wrote:Because the NAS itself is still active and needs some cooling. Even disks are still active, they have only stopped spinning.
Actually I believe passive cooling might be enough at least in my setup (NAS in standby looks very cool 8)). You don't expect your laptop/notebook/desktop/TV to operate fan when in standby mode, do you? Is there a temperature threshold TS-269L fan switches-off in auto mode/standby mode?
On the Pro's side: that's intelligent fan, if you stop its wings from spinning it sends report to the system 8)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ja666 wrote:So I activated WINS in TS-269L...
WINS is known to keep the disks spinning.
Actually I believe passive cooling might be enough at least in my setup (NAS in standby looks very cool 8)).
Okay but apparently the manufacturer of your NAS disagrees with you.
You don't expect your laptop/notebook/desktop/TV to operate fan when in standby mode, do you?
As I said the NAS is still fully active and not in a standby mode. It's only the disks that are spun down, aka being in "disk standby mode".

On newer NAS models there's also a "sleep mode" in addition to the "disk standby mode" (I don't think sleep is present on the TS-X69 line but you could check for it). As I don't have any NAS supporting that mode I don't really know what it is but maybe the fan stops spinning there?
Is there a temperature threshold TS-269L fan switches-off in auto mode/standby mode?
As far as I know the fan is designed to always rotate as long as the NAS is powered on. Slow, medium or fast depending on the system temperature.

If you don't like that, please have a look at this fanless NAS.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

P3R wrote:WINS is known to keep the disks spinning
Because? Because of? Because of what? Because of what necessary unavoidable WINS activity caused by bad MS boy Mr.B.Gates & Co.? Is that WINS authors flaw? If so I'll write them a letter :lol:
the manufacturer of your NAS disagrees with you.
QNAP simply tries to be conservative I believe. I do have a lot cheaper WD MyNet Central HDD router which properly spins-down its 2,5'' HDD and switches-off device cooling fan when cooling is not necessary (in spite of router device activities).
As I said the NAS is still fully active and not in a standby mode. It's only the disks that are spun down, aka being in "disk standby mode".
You are wrong at this point to some extend: while TS-269L stands-by its HDDs, NAS is no longer visible by my Smart TV as a [network, DLNA] source. So this is not only its HDDs spinned-down.
On newer NAS models there's also a "sleep mode" in addition to the "disk standby mode". As I don't have any NAS supporting that mode I don't really know what it is but maybe the fan stops spinning there?
There is a sleep-mode in TS-269L Atom-based NAS.
AFAIK the only way to put TS-269L asleep is to use remote station (computer) and send a QFinder Pro sleep command.
I believe a lot of QNAP end users would welcome sleep mode from one of the device's front-buttons as well.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ja666 wrote:Because?
I'm not a programmer but for some reason they decided to put some data on disk, most likely it's the WINS database.

The good news is that WINS haven't been necessary to use for many years unless you run ancient equipment on your network.
QNAP simply tries to be conservative I believe.
A conservative manufacturer is in my opinion good news for the users because that means they have the margins that will make the equipment reliable.

But the reason for their decision doesn't really matter. Qnap designed your NAS that way and as far as I know, that's how they still design almost all of their the current models (I've shown you one of the exceptions).
I do have a lot cheaper WD MyNet Central HDD router which properly spins-down its 2,5'' HDD and switches-off device cooling fan when cooling is not necessary (in spite of router device activities).
I'm not familiar with that product but I bet it have a less powerful and cooler main board than your NAS.
You are wrong at this point to some extend: while TS-269L stands-by its HDDs, NAS is no longer visible by my Smart TV as a [network, DLNA] source. So this is not only its HDDs spinned-down.
I can't answer anything about the behaviour of your Smart TV.

I do however know that the NAS is still available on the network by the services/protocols it's configured to respond on, also during a disk standby. In fact that normal access through a network service is the way we as users make the disks spin up again. For that network access to be possible the system needs to be active. It's either that or magic... :wink:

I'm not trying to convince you to love what Qnap does here, I'm just telling you what they do to the best of my knowledge.

Please feel free to contact Qnap helpdesk if you want to confirm with a Qnap employee, make a feature request or suggest a new thermal design.

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”