HDD standby specific drives

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
Kernal69
New here

HDD standby specific drives

Post by Kernal69 »

Hi

I am thinking of buying a TVS-663.
But i have some questions i hope you could answer.

I am going to put 3 x 8TB disk in it that is going to be a Raid 0.
This because i will use this for movies that is rather static data and i have backup.
I want this Raid to spin down after 1 Hour then it not being used.
This because it will probarly not be accessed again for several days.

I also going to have a Raid 1 with 2 x 4 TB for other data that change more.

My questions are.
Can i have the Raid 0 to spin down after a while and the Raid 1 to still be running ?

If not.
what happens if i have a Vmware machine running in the NAS or maybe Plex.
Will the HDD spin down then ?

Best regards
Spider99
Experience counts

Re: HDD standby specific drives

Post by Spider99 »

HI

spin down is all or nothing not by raid

Raid 0 is a bad idea and not recommended

Yes the disk can spin down with VM's / Plex etc but usually dont as plex can be a chatty application and access disks a lot constantly

When people report disk not spinning down Plex is one of the usual candidates

If you buy NAS disks - they are rated 24/7 - so spin down is not an issue - avoid desktop disks for your NAS you will regret it

Have fun
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
Kernal69
New here

Post by Kernal69 »

Thanks for your answer.
I know Raid 0 is a bad ide.
But i have backup on USB HD's.
Raid 5 is also a bad ide then you use so big HD's.
And it's expensive.
Raid 10 is also to expensive.

It feel so stupid to have HD running 24/7 then i maybe access the HD 1-2 times in week.
That's why i want to spin down the disks.

I not really sure how the Qnap works but i think that all data for VM's must be stored on the same HD that is also used for data.
Then i think it's strange that HD could spin down at all.

I am going to buy NAS disks for this and 8TB disks are not to cheap there i live.

Best regards
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Kernal69 wrote:I know Raid 0 is a bad ide.
Okay... :S

Usning the disks as single disk volumes is at least much less risky than RAID 0. Also with disks as large as 8 TB the administation of 3 volumes isn't very demanding.
But i have backup on USB HD's.
Good but RAID is not a replacement for backups so the backups you need to have anyway.

You use RAID (RAID 0 isnt really RAID) to have data available despite disk failures and to save time and hassle as an administrator. When a disk fails your data will still be avaialble with real RAID. You could also expand your storage (both adding disks and reaplacing disks with larger ones) with the data still on it and you could migrate from RAID 5 to RAID 6 when later adding disks. In short, real RAID is very convenient and makes life easier for the administrator.

With RAID 0 your complete NAS with all your data will be unavailable when (not if) either of the disks fail. Then you'll have to initialize the disks and be looking at weeks if not months until you've restored the data. Also a RAID 0 can never be migrated or expanded in any way. :cry:

Many newcomers are greedy for storage and find RAID 0 attractive when they set their first NAS up. I have however never yet seen anyone write here that they still think it was a good choice when a disk have failed or when they want to expand their storage. Who knows, maybe you'll be the first... :roll:
Raid 5 is also a bad ide then you use so big HD's.
So because you think RAID 5 is a bad idea you choose to go with a configuration that is more than a 1000 times riskier. It's a bit hard to follow that logic... :shock:

With a 3*8 TB RAID 5 you'd be at the limiti of what's recommended yes but you could migrate into the much safer RAID 6 when adding disks later.
And it's expensive.
It's not expensive for what it offers but the convenience mentioned previously come at a price yes. That price is higher, the larger disks you use. That's one of the reasons I won't be using 8 TB disks.
Raid 10 is also to expensive.
RAID 6 is much safer than RAID 10 and the price premium for it is less, in all configurations above 4 disks (the minimum configuration for both RAID levels).
I am going to buy NAS disks for this and 8TB disks are not to cheap there i live.
8 TB disks aren't cheap anywhere. I can't afford them but I can afford both backups and the convenience of RAID, as I think my data and the time I saved with is worth the cost.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

In addition to what P3R wrote

if you are going to only access it once or twice a week - then the simple option is turn it off you will save more money that way than worrying about disk spin down - by the way spinning disks up and down several times a day (as will happen) is more likely to wear out your disks quicker as startup is the most stressful thing a disk does (mechanically)

If disks are too expensive at 8TB get 4 @ say 4tb and use those until you need to upgrade and 8tb drives will be old hat and cheap as we will be on 16TB+ disks by then if Seagate are to be believed

If you value your data (no matter how great you backup strategy) dont use Single disks or Raid 0 - If you do you will be back complaining about data loss :shock:
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
Kernal69
New here

Post by Kernal69 »

Hi

Thanks for all information.
I will have that in mind when deciding.