No HDD spindown anymore after holidays...

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
Kruzifuenferl
First post

No HDD spindown anymore after holidays...

Post by Kruzifuenferl »

I have two QNAP NAS. A TS-410 and a TS-412 both equipped with 4x2TB. Hitachis (yes) in the 410 and Samsung in the 412.
As we went on holidays recently, i shut down both systems for the first time since around a year or so. When we were back, i turned on the systems and now they don't go to sleep anymore. For more than a week now, the HDDs are constantly spinning. The blkMonitor Script only shows journald and RAID entries.
What puzzles me is that both system do the same. This does not seem like a coincidence. I tried to find out if there is activity on the network using wireshark and also tried to find out something useful using the Webinterface but did not find anything. Both systems only have Windows Networking, Apple networking and NFS service running. No Twonky or other application servers.
Both systems contain work data, so lots of images and media files, but i also cannot find an indexing service running. And even if, it should actually finish within a week, i suppose.

Any hints what i could check next? I am even rethinking my storage strategy, as i have a few more systems that don't misbehave :-) Worst case would be to switch production- and backup roles of the machines. But that would be quite some task i am not really looking forward to.
storageneeded
Starting out

Re: No HDD spindown anymore after holidays...

Post by storageneeded »

Did they perhaps auto install an update? I've found the newer versions of QTS have broken drive sleep functionality even on a brand new NAS right out of the box not even plugged into the LAN. It's also not a good sign nobody has responded to your post in two weeks.
PeterMac83
Starting out

Post by PeterMac83 »

After update from 4.3.4 to 4.3.5 firmware on my TS-231P sleep function no more work it's broken!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

instead of necroposting ..open a new thread and use this tool to check for the culprit (or just accept the fact that the drives spin...they were made for it)

https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Hard_drives_spindown_issues
PeterMac83
Starting out

Post by PeterMac83 »

thank you, problem solved, I restart everything to default settings, and additionally once again off what is posibble exepct Windows SMB access and now sleep fine like before.

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”