Regular wake ups of hard drives in TS-231P

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
P3R
Guru

Re: Regular wake ups of hard drives in TS-231P

Post by P3R »

ds256 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:46 am I'm dealing with this issue on my TS-453 where all 4 of my disks wake up anytime I wake up a computer on my LAN from sleep. Even if that computer is not utilizing any of the NAS's services.
If the client waking up didn't access the NAS (probably the file shares), the NAS wouldn't spin the disks up. I bet the client is checking the presence of it's known server connections on wake-up.
It's really a bad design and I don't understand why it is happening.
If you think so then feel free to complain to the computer OS developer.
There doesn't seem to be any log of what is necessary that the disks are spinning up.
Read this page.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
PeterMac83
Starting out

Post by PeterMac83 »

You are wrong, its not cause by computer OS because this crappy chinese NAS Qnap wake up my HDD from sleep even when I unplug LAN cable from it! LOL So stupid device, but probably create to kill faster people HDD's.
Last edited by PeterMac83 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I am pretty sure P3R meant QNAP (OS developer) .. so you disagree to agree with the statement ..
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

PeterMac83 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:14 am You are wrong, its not cause by computer OS...
If you read my post again more carefully you'll notice that I was specifically responding to a post by ds256, where it was very obvious that it was his PC that woke the disks up at that point. So no I wasn't wrong, in that moment it was the PC accessing the NAS that spun his disks up. So all the devices on your network accessing the NAS without you knowing it is another can of worms for you spindown guys to deal with even if you could have the Qnap to not access it's disks...
...because this crappy chinese NAS Qnap wake up my HDD from sleep even when I unplug LAN cable from it!
And you're sure that the missing LAN doesn't cause spinups by itself? Like for example writing regularly in the logs (placed on disk) about the major error condition (and all the things failing from it) that you've caused yourself by pulling the cable?

Anyway, as we've been over again and again with you and many other poeple that expect the spindown to work, there are far too many features in the QTS today that will spin drives up. Nobody in the community is in a postition to fix QTS so bring that up with Qnap instead.
LOL So stupid device, but probably create to kill faster people HDD's.
Apart from that being a stupid conspiracy theory it's also technically incorrect. It's not the spinups that will kill your disk.

You have a WD Red that is specified for a minimum of 600k load/unload cycles (pretty much the standard for all NAS disks today). Let's do the math with the increase of 12 LLCs per day that you reported here. 600000/(12*365.25)=136.89. So for the next 134 years there's no reason for you to worry about the disks being killed by spin-ups. I'm pretty sure the disk, the NAS and you are dead well before year 2154... :wink:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

PeterMac83 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:14 am You are wrong, its not cause by computer OS because this crappy chinese NAS Qnap wake up my HDD from sleep even when I unplug LAN cable from it! LOL So stupid device, but probably create to kill faster people HDD's.
I understand your concern, and I'm not sure why the other posters are being rude, directly or indirectly.
I myself have also tried to figure out why the damn disks keep spinning up every few hrs even with all computers turned off. I'd like the disks to remain in standby until the file server is accessed directly, either via a network share or the web interface.

It is a home file server, and I dont need the disks to be always spinning when I dont need them to be for the next 6 hours.

I think that maybe my only solution would be to set a schedule for the NAS to follow; as in have it turn on at, say 8:00, and have it shut down at 00:00.
I do wish that there is a better solution, and I do wish that a user would have more control over the disk standby feature, such as what service is able to run up the disk during standby. Some things can simply be "put off" until a user accesses the file server.
ecipch
Starting out

Post by ecipch »

Just wanted to chime in again real quick with an update...

I've, many months ago now, set a schedule for the NAS, so it turns on at 08:00 and shuts off at 23:00. It works well that way, and I'm happy with it.

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”