TS-119 + Ext USB drive as RAID1 Mirror - endless activity

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
goldnet
Starting out

TS-119 + Ext USB drive as RAID1 Mirror - endless activity

Post by goldnet »

I continue to experience a huge amount of constant NAS disk activity considering I am not accessing files on there all that much. I am wondering if it is constant indexing for the RAID1 mirroring and whether I might be better off switching use of the external USB drive to one of the backup apps instead. I always thought RAID1 was a more resilient option in case of drive failure, which is why I set it up that way...

We had a couple of power cuts which I know disturb the NAS and cause a lot of reindexing. I ran a full SMART test which reported no problems (took a couple of days). I run a weekly SMART Rapid test which shows no errors. The log also reports a successful QRAID-1 initial sync after the last power cut 2 weeks back.

I've read several threads here and adopted some of the measures others have tried:
- rename Windows workgroup to WKGP
- set NAS on a reserved IP on the router/DHCP server
- use Network links rather than drive mapped letters on WIndows machines
- turned off all NAS apps (inclusing rsync)

Just today updated firmware - it's now re-indexing my multimedia folders

Should it really be carrying out almost constant activity? While it would be lovely, I don't even necessarily require total spindown/standby but am mystified as to what the drive is actually doing - and of course the constant activity keeps the temperature up above 51 deg! Is there any utility I can run that will show me the active processes at work? Prefer access via the GUI interface - while I do use Linux-type command in Terminal on my Mac, I'm not too familiar with barebones commands outside of Windows/Mac.

TS119
Firmware version 4.3.3.1386 Build 20200821
2TB WD HDD + External USB 2TB set as Q-RAID-1
TS119
Firmware version 4.3.3.1386 Build 20200821
2TB WD HDD + External USB 2TB set as Q-RAID-1
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-119 + Ext USB drive as RAID1 Mirror - endless activity

Post by dolbyman »

unclear why you open a new thread

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=156070&p=763420#p763420