TS-253A HDD sleep and wake up over LAN

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
Tom75
First post

TS-253A HDD sleep and wake up over LAN

Post by Tom75 »

Hello,

I hope someone can help me with my problem (s):

- I do have a QNAP 109 II since around 10 yrs and was using it as a NAS w/o any problems, still SMB1 run on it (yes not very secure ;-) ), but I'm able to wake it up by simply accessing its mapped drive, either over windows or over a linux enigma2 VCR. Works as designed since day 1 ... Don't touch a running system .... It goes to sleep after 1h of inactivity and when you access it's drive it wakes up again ....

- on the other side I do have a TS-253A - newest FW 4.5.1.1465, not very new but I'm using it as a secondary NAS, but I was never able to get the same functionality running as with my 109 ...

1) Was never been able to get the 253 to sleep after an inactivity time, HDDs are always spinning, so I have put a fixed time to put it to sleep (yes, I tried the tipps out: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... ndby-mode/)
2) Never was able to wake up the 253 by accessing a mapped drive, only works by sending a magic packet over a Wol tool ...

So a step back .... Any ideas ???

thx
t
P3R
Guru

Re: TS-253A HDD sleep and wake up over LAN

Post by P3R »

Tom75 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:40 am 1) Was never been able to get the 253 to sleep after an inactivity time, HDDs are always spinning, so I have put a fixed time to put it to sleep (yes, I tried the tipps out: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... ndby-mode/)
Qnap should have removed that feature as it doesn't really work any more with all the features they added in QTS over the years.
2) Never was able to wake up the 253 by accessing a mapped drive, only works by sending a magic packet over a Wol tool ...
Yes because you actually make the whole system go to sleep now.

The TS-109 never go to sleep, it only spin the drive down but apart from that the whole system is still active.
So a step back ....
No a step forward with many, many new features. Unfortunately several of the new features happen to break a single historic feature.
Any ideas ???
Yes, accept that the much, much more capable TS-253A can't really spin down it's disks or be annoyed over it forever.

Both NAS and NAS drives are designed to run 24/7/365.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”