RAID 5 constant activity / no silence / QuTSHero

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
authorleon
Getting the hang of things

RAID 5 constant activity / no silence / QuTSHero

Post by authorleon »

Hi,

I have the QNAP TS-h973AZ using QuTSHero,

I have two SSD set up in RAID 1 which accommodates all the applications etc..

then I have another RAID 5 storage pool located below.

5 x Seagate IronWolf 8 TB ST8000VN004 3.5" HDD SATA III in RAID 5

I have disabled all the applications such as media centre and all that stuff.

But as you can see I'm always having some activity every 4 to 5 seconds of roughly 500 kB. I personally have no idea what's going on and I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

I tried unplugging the network cable for five minutes and then plugging it back in and checking the records and it was the same. so not quite sure why this is happening. I am using ZFS obviously.

Thank you
OneCD
Guru

Re: RAID 5 constant activity / no silence / QuTSHero

Post by OneCD »

What is the goal here? Are you chasing HDD spindown?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

Hello OneCD

HDD Spindown would be great, but if I could reduce the activity, that would be grate as the QNAP is on my desk and ever 5 seconds, I have that noise. It becomes really annoying.

Is it writing a log ?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I don't know, I don't use QuTS. But now I can put this topic in the right sub-forum. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

Okay, thank you.
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

I have taken a screenshot of the activity and it appears to be on Storage pool 1 and storage pool 3.

Link to image as it is too big https://i.imgur.com/zL1q081.png

Is there some kind of sync protocol thatt used to constantly do this because every four seconds it seems a bit too much if you ask me.

If anyone can provide any insight I would greatly appreciate it
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

hello all. I received feedback from QNAP support and evidently there is a problem.

Please have a look at the response below.
Screenshot 2021-05-26 133754.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hakkva
New here

Post by hakkva »

I have the same problem. TVS-H1288X. Disk activity every 4-5 seconds. I have tried to disable basically everything down to the bare metal and nothing helps. I cannot get it to stop. QNAP mention a link in your image that will check what prevents the machine going to sleep. Can you post this so I can test. I am determined to get his fixed. Otherwise I have to downgrade to QTS.
killerbluechickn
New here

Post by killerbluechickn »

I also am experiencing this issue on my TS-h686 running QuTS hero h4.5.3.1670. I went down the same path as the OP and still no matter how bare-bones I was running, the raid activity chart in the resource monitor was producing these "write waves" every few seconds. The pool and shared folder activity charts were flat, with 0 writes reported.

I've had this NAS since last year and my disks didn't use to do this so I suspected maybe one of the firmware updates was to blame. I tried downgrading the firmware a version at a time. When I got to QuTS hero h4.5.1.1582 the behavior did stop. BUT... this was also after all the storage pools on the NAS errored out and were not recoverable. For me, this was after a downgrade from h4.5.2.1638 to 1582. So maybe don't test this on your own unless you're confident in your backup. I just removed the pools, recreated them, and was met with sweet silence and no repetitive activity. I then updated the firmware back up to h4.5.3.1670 and the "write waves" came back immediately.

I put in a ticket with QNAP support as well, maybe/hopefully this clue could help and they can find a resolution for it in the next firmware update.
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

hakkva wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:44 pm I have the same problem. TVS-H1288X. Disk activity every 4-5 seconds. I have tried to disable basically everything down to the bare metal and nothing helps. I cannot get it to stop. QNAP mention a link in your image that will check what prevents the machine going to sleep. Can you post this so I can test. I am determined to get his fixed. Otherwise I have to downgrade to QTS.
Well QNAP Has recognised that it is a bug. And a very frustrating one as well.

I am sure if it will deteriorate the hard drives quicker, I imagine no.

But the only thing we can do now is wait for the next firmware release.
Last edited by authorleon on Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

killerbluechickn wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:31 pm I also am experiencing this issue on my TS-h686 running QuTS hero h4.5.3.1670. I went down the same path as the OP and still no matter how bare-bones I was running, the raid activity chart in the resource monitor was producing these "write waves" every few seconds. The pool and shared folder activity charts were flat, with 0 writes reported.

I've had this NAS since last year and my disks didn't use to do this so I suspected maybe one of the firmware updates was to blame. I tried downgrading the firmware a version at a time. When I got to QuTS hero h4.5.1.1582 the behavior did stop. BUT... this was also after all the storage pools on the NAS errored out and were not recoverable. For me, this was after a downgrade from h4.5.2.1638 to 1582. So maybe don't test this on your own unless you're confident in your backup. I just removed the pools, recreated them, and was met with sweet silence and no repetitive activity. I then updated the firmware back up to h4.5.3.1670 and the "write waves" came back immediately.

I put in a ticket with QNAP support as well, maybe/hopefully this clue could help and they can find a resolution for it in the next firmware update.
Yes they really do have a bug which they need to fix. Because it is really annoying as I keep my QNAP on my desk. We just have to keep on messaging them.
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

Does anyone know if this constant right to the hard drive deteriorates hard drive. I think it should not but I would rather ask.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

writes(!) do not matter much to spinning disks :wink:
killerbluechickn
New here

Post by killerbluechickn »

They do to SSD's however. The bug was affecting both storage pools on my NAS. A pair of SSD's in RAID 1 and 4 HDD's in RAID 5.
wolpi
First post

Post by wolpi »

I can confirm this very annoying behavior. With h4.5.1.1582 it all works as intended - but with h4.5.2.1638 I had constant write activities which prevent the HDD spindown, increases the power consumption significantly and generates annoying noise. This behavior is completely unacceptable - so I did a downgrade (and recreated the storage pools to be on the safe side) and won't update again (at least until the changelog of a newer release clearly marks this issue as solved).

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”