TS-230 - still active when connected to network

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
mivacz
First post

TS-230 - still active when connected to network

Post by mivacz »

Hi!

I´m getting crazy of my QNAP NAS... I bought TS-230 which never let my HDDs sleep, there was literally a permament disk activity without any reason. I spent hours and hours discussing that with QNAP support, multiple remote sessions took place but with no result. The only advice I always received was "hey upgrade to the most recent FW, run our diagnostics script, upgrade...". Afters 4 months of discusssions I gave up trying to solve it and returned the NAS back to seller who accepted it as a warranty issue and provided me with a new unit which... wait for it... behaves exactly the same :roll:

I really don´t understand that - a brand new device, I haven´t touched any configuration and the permament (and really loud) disk activity is here again. The only situation when the NAS goes to sleep mode is when I unplug the LAN cable. I can understand that there might be something "pinging" the NAS and not letting it sleep howerver I cannot understand how it can cause constant disk read/writes.

I´m a total noob in linux so that any investigation is like neurosurgergy for me.

I'll pay in gold for any advice.

M.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-230 - still active when connected to network

Post by dolbyman »

Well it could be a LAN device keeping it active..it could be the internet connection causing logfiles to be written.

Many NAS never sleep (hence a dedicated forum section for it) ...if you need it quiet, put it out of earshot or on a powerschedule

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”