What is the point of this spin down forum?

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
Erland552
Starting out

What is the point of this spin down forum?

Post by Erland552 »

>700 posts about spindown/sleep/standby not working. No one seems to be able to resolve it. QNAP clearly couldn't care less.

After a firmware update, again, my TS-231P will not go into sleep mode. No NAS apps running, ethernet disconnected. It works with some firmware releases but not others.

Qnap advertises this function and I want to use it. Not interested in shutdown because it requires way too much time to boot.

Wasted soooooo much time researching and trying everything I could to fix this. Here's what I will be doing and suggest this to all others with this problem.

1) Visiting as many as possible online retailers with reviews of QNAP NASes and write up a review to hopefully warn others about the issue .

2) Getting my frustration out by smashing my QNAP into a million pieces with a hammer.

3) Buying a Synology NAS.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: What is the point of this spin down forum?

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP does not come here so all these posts are going unnoticed.

1) Up to you

2) Smash your QNAP because disks don't go into standby? ..Sure..shot it ... set it on fire.. whatever makes you feel better (or maybe put the NAS in a spot where spinning disks do not bother you or put it on a power schedule)

3) You can do that too.Nothing anyone here cares about ..as said QNAP does not come here, so nobody with a horse in the race will read this
daubee
New here

Re: What is the point of this spin down forum?

Post by daubee »

yeah I came from synology and am going back to them. I always knew what it was doing and disks went to idle, instead of the qnap incessant md9_raid1 and jdb2 writes.

I disabled everything that could be disabled, pulled network cable, yet the disks keep chugging.

for the interm, I am turning off via ssh and on via wol to save power - WD reds are built for long term on but its the constant writing that will reduce their life

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”