NAS disks always spinning

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
falforos
New here

NAS disks always spinning

Post by falforos »

Hi everybody.

I've bought a TS-230 with the only purpose of backup files from two PC's and from three cell phones. The reason for this post is that I don't understand why disks are almost always spinning. Searching over the internet I've seen a lot of similar cases, but I still don't understand why it is happening in my case.

This is my configuration:
- Two 4GB Seagate IronWolf using RAID 1.
- Thick volume without snapshots configured.
- Netback Replicator installed in both computers to synchronize one folder from each one.
- QFile installed in cell phones to synchronize the gallery.
- HBS3 installed with three tasks to backup daily some folders from two PC's. The tasks are completed every day within 2-3 minutes.
- Malware remover installed, runs once every day and completes the work in 1-2 minutes.
- The only two services enabled are Microsoft Networking and System Port Management.
- There's no other application installed or service enabled

There is also a message that's displayed every time I open the Resource Monitor: "Swap memory usage is too high 277.97MB". I don't know if maybe it has anything to do with the disks issue, but there are some things I neither understand due to the following System Resource - Memory data:
16-12-2021 7-34-39.jpg
1- Total Usable Memory is 1.50GB, but TS-230 has 2GB.
2- If memory usage is never over 25%, why it says that memory is insufficient?
3- The swap memory usage is 1.2%, how it can be too high as the popup message states?
4- Besides, I don't understan very well the data in the swap memory usage:
HDD 277.97 MB / 7.41 GB (Disk 1/Disk 2).
Volume 0 B / 16.00 GB (Datos)

Thank you in advance for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
falforos
New here

Re: NAS disks always spinning (SOLVED)

Post by falforos »

Ok, so after further tests, I ended up finding that what was generating such activity in the disks was quFirewall.

I realised of it running a top command and taking a look at the processes with more CPU percentatge. When I saw quFirewall, I disabled it and disks activity stopped a few seconds later.

I don't really understand it, I don't see why a firewall generates such activity in the disks. Since I don't have ports configured in the router to allow external access to the NAS, I guess it's not essential to have the firewall enabled, eventhough I would prefer to have it.

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”