Excessive Disk Activity

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
Wooly5
First post

Excessive Disk Activity

Post by Wooly5 »

:?: I recently purchased a QNAP TS-451D2 4 Bay device (2 Seagate Ironwolf 8tb drives). When the device is idle there seems to be continuous disk and network activity (2 flashing green lights and 1 flashing orange light) in the background 24/7. I have turned off activities and apps that may cause this (i.e.: Qsync Client, Snapshot schedule, Malware scans etc.) but the drives/network are still continuing writing/reading. Is this normal or is there something that I may have overlooked. It is a bit annoying as I can hear the hard drives working. I'm concerned that the drives are over working and there may be issues in the future. Your assistance in this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks, Wooly5
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Excessive Disk Activity

Post by dolbyman »

Quite normal and harmless for spinning disks

I have moved this topic to the appropriate subforum (with tons of other threads like this)
aKiuNAPuser
New here

Post by aKiuNAPuser »

don't listen to dolbyman, I've had my QNAP for 2 year without any problems, then it started with the excessive disk activity, writing to the drive every 5 seconds, this has happened through a patch
the forum is full of this.
up till now for about 2 years this problem persists and I have decided to just turn the NAS off and use Wake up on LAN whenever I need the NAS, whenever Im done using it, I turn it off
obviously this was never how I wanted to use my NAS but since it's consuming excessive amount of energy this is the only practical solution I could find

I have contacted support but they are just going for the stalling tactic, asking me to run tests, send logs, install new versions, send logs again, do more tests send logs and after going through this cycle a few times I was fed up with it and lost my trust in them.
The fact that many users are reporting this for some years and this issue still hasnt been resolved tells me they will never fix this

I will NEVER buy a QNAP again
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

aKiuNAPuser wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:24 am I will NEVER buy a QNAP again
Promise?

A word of warning: if you troll on this forum again, I'll ban you, and happily remove your conspiracy-level rhetoric. I can't ensure one of the other mods won't be so kind, and decide a pre-emptive ban would be better.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”