Loud disk usage - always.

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
setzer_
First post

Loud disk usage - always.

Post by setzer_ »

theviewer1985 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:39 pm Thanks everyone for your comments last night.

So it seems that Ultrastar drives are noticeably louder as confirmed by @Scolumbo (not sure if tagging works on this forum). So regardless of what I end up doing, I will start by buying different drives. Unless I get a warning from someone between now and the end of the day, I will order the Seagate Ironwolfs NAS version from Amazon - only because I have heard they are also good / quiet - and are £50 cheaper for the 4TB model compared to WD red.

It seems I have to accept that QNAP runs all the time - that might be the stumbling block for me. I will see how I get on once it's got new drives in it and I screw them in properly. If it's completely inaudible, then maybe it'll be a case of out of sight out of mind. But for whatever reason, it does irrationally aggravate me that I hear it working when I am not using it. Some kind of deeply built-in trait I have, that technology needs to be completely controlled by me and if I feel like it does something I don't like, and I can't do anything about it, then it triggers me. That's partly why I am losing my patience with my iMac as well... lol

If for argument's sake, it comes to that - is the Synology DS218+ a better choice for someone like me? In other words, does it shutup unless spoken too? (Within reason... I do understand some automated tasks need to be done, but not 24/7 like my qnap)
Its unbelievable how much you sound like me. I am having the exact same problem with my nas (TS-653D) and it ** me off so much. What did you end up doing for your noise problem ? Did you go with synology ? I think they might sleep better than QNAP but the constant access seems like a typical problem with their NAS too. Is their a NAS brand that DOESN'T require constant HD access 24/7 ? I really want something different.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Loud disk usage - always.

Post by dolbyman »

Necropost split from here and old topic closed + moved to disk standby subforum

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=151306&start=15

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”