[Help] MAC continually logs in via SAMBA as guest

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
cwares
New here

[Help] MAC continually logs in via SAMBA as guest

Post by cwares »

I have an MAC (Leopard 10.5.6) and a 1 week old TS-109 II. So I am new to the NAS world.
I have noticed in the connection logs the the MAC ip address is logging in (as guest) to
the SAMBA share on the TS-109 about every 3 minutes exactly.
If I turn off "Windows Networking" on the TS-109 and use "Apple Networking" the logins stop
as you would expect (no SAMBA running).
I have a work XP laptop which I use at home occasionally so both types of networking would
be handy.
Has anyone else experienced this behavior and maybe found a fix. I have searched the forums
but only seems to have happened on an XP machine previously.

Thanks.
stevebow
Been there, done that

Re: [Help] MAC continually logs in via SAMBA as guest

Post by stevebow »

Do you have identical user account usernames/passwords on both the Mac and NAS? With SMB, if they don't match the Mac will log in as guest.
NAS: TS-509 Pro
Firmware: 4.1.1 Build1101
Drives: 5 x Western Digital WD20EFRX (Red) 2TB drives (RAID5)

NAS: TS-409 Pro
Firmware: 3.3.2 build 0918T
Drives: 4 x Western Digital WD20EFRX (Red) 2TB drives (RAID0)
Note: TS-409 Disk Management GUI mostly non-functional with WD Red HDDs
Nisei
Know my way around

Post by Nisei »

I've just installed a 209 Pro II at a friend's office. It's a mixed Windows/Mac environment and I've also noticed that when Mac clients login through AFP the connection log shows guest/samba. But when I look at the connected users at that moment it shows the correct names of the users. A bug perhaps?
NAS:
TS-119 3.5.0 build 0816
Samsung HD103UI 1TB

Backup:
WD MyBook Home 1TB eSATA
babouin72
Starting out

Post by babouin72 »

stevebow wrote:Do you have identical user account usernames/passwords on both the Mac and NAS? With SMB, if they don't match the Mac will log in as guest.

I have the same problem, guest is connecting every 3 minutes which is preventing HD standby when macbook is ON. I set the identical user/passwd as suggested but guest is always logging. What is to be changed on Mac or Turbostation ?

thanks for help
Mac mini 3,1 os 10.7.1 - TS109II
TallPaul
Getting the hang of things

Post by TallPaul »

I also have the same issue, and it seems to be something like OS X is probing the hosts to see what shares are available, I have yet to work out how to turn it off, but its annoying as noted the disks are then always spun up just because I open the macbook for 30 seconds to look something up!

I have AFP and samba enabled, as I have windows hosts as well, I can't work out how to stop it on the OS-X end, I wondered if its finder working it out itself, or its because I have previously connected to the NAS with SMB?
TS 209-II with Version 3.1.0 build 0708T
Tom9999
New here

Post by Tom9999 »

The reason is a netbios broadcast. Leopard uses this broadcast to "automagically" look for new shares available. The broadcast is transmitted via port 137.
Setting some firewall rules to prevent traffic (tcp and udp) on port 137 solves the problem.

Temporarily...

As soon as you connect to shares on your NAS, the broadcasts start again. One solution would be to use NFS with the Mac but this seems not to work also...

I have no clue on how to stop this but am strongly thinking about dumping the QNAP (2 weeks after purchase) and buying some other manufacturer's system :(
TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

I am hoping there is a way to change the MAC behaviour, there usually is. I connect to my QNAP with AFP, but I can't turn off SMB shares or the work laptop and the wife's machine will not be able to access the files.
KL643
Experience counts

Post by KL643 »

Maybe you can find a solution in this topic http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... +half+hour

by creating a new workgroup and different subnetmask.
babouin72
Starting out

Post by babouin72 »

No other solution for me to replace SMB by AFP.... After fighting some hours/days with qpkg sabnzb not working (finally installed using ipkg) + this HDD stdby issue I've very disapointed by this qnap product......

If somebody has a solution for this SMB guest connexion issue.....
Mac mini 3,1 os 10.7.1 - TS109II
TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

Funnily enough I have noticed on wireless the disks have stayed spun down, but when I just plugged in the LAN cable to the laptop for some reason the QNAP spun up.

Weird, I can't work out what the Mac is doing, putting QNAP in its own workgroup seems to help as they do not fight over being the master for the workgroup.
titao
Starting out

Post by titao »

+1

i also have 2 macs connected to my LAN and i have already created a specific workgroup for my nas since my XP boxes also broadcast something every 30min, and it worked...my NAS keeps down until i access it, but for MAC this doesn't do the trick, and if one of them is on, the disks spin up sometimes due to samba access by guest account.

i've googled to tweak samba but couldn't find anything....help would be appreciated =)

cheers
TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

I got a new mac recently, and it seems that Leopard or OS X 10.5 does something different and it always spins up the disks when I power on the new mac, think its an AFP thing. Its frustrating as my disks have unecesary spin up down cycles, but with the new OS X 10.6 coming in two months I am ignoring it for now...
redholm
Starting out

Re: [help] MAC continually logs in via SAMBA as guest

Post by redholm »

I had a mac doing this :cry: and I solved it by editing smb.conf file by hand and adding a
hosts deny = maccomputername

I did not need this mac to use any file sharing so I do not know if AFS still works or not but the annoying 3 minute login are gone :mrgreen:
WadingUpStream
Starting out

Post by WadingUpStream »

HI,

Besides redholm (I need the file sharing:)) does anybody have a solution to this issue? I am using OS X 10.6.2, Qnap 109TS-Pro II (firmware:3.1.0 build 0708T) and have exactly the same problem outlined above.

Cheers
Tom9999
New here

Post by Tom9999 »

It seems there is no real solution to this issue. QNAP seems to be well aware of this, but there is no feedback.

I have been avoiding this with setting firewall rules preventing the use of port 137 (this "disables" SAMBA connects) and using NFS to connect instead. The big drawback with this solution is that there are usually different user and group IDs on the Mac and the NAS.
Thus, all access rights set on the NAS are not working. I personally have now set all folders and files to mode 777, meaning everybody connected on the NAS can read and write in everybodys files and folders.
Which is apparently not what you want when buying a network storage device...

Consequence for me: I am now looking for a NAS device from another manufacturer. Sad for QNAP, sad for my bank account.

Steps required on a mac to prevent SAMBA reconnects:
Get "WaterRoof", this is an open source firewall frontend to the mac firewall. Add the following rules:

Code: Select all

add 01000 deny tcp from any to any dst-port 137
add 01100 deny udp from any to any dst-port 137
Disable SAMBA on NAS, but do not disable windows networking. This way your windows machines can connect. The mac will not connect via SAMBA and the NAS will go to sleep.

I personally think that this could be solved if QNAP would think of it as important. As they seem to do nothing, I am changing the manufacturer.
Sad but necessary.

So long,
Tom

Return to “Mac OS”