Several RAID volumes ?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dJeyL
Starting out

Several RAID volumes ?

Post by dJeyL »

Hi,

I consider purchasing a TS-209 Pro, but I was wondering: would it let me create several RAID volumes?

I'd like to use two 750GB hard drives, create a RAID1 volume on a small part of them (which I'd use to backup important data), and a RAID0 volume on the remaining space.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
TS-209 Pro, fw 1.1.5[list][*]# 2 x WD10EACS (Western Digital, 1TB)[/*][*]# 2 RAID arrays[/*][*]# NTFS write support[/*][*]# Upcoming: dm_crypt and TrueCrypt encryption[/*][/list]
christian

Re: Several RAID volumes ?

Post by christian »

:?:

Are you sure you are talking about nas 209 ? If yes, i never heard before to use raid 1 and raid 0 at the same time !
You only can use raid 1 or raid 0 in both configs you need at least 2 disks !
dJeyL
Starting out

Post by dJeyL »

Actually, you don't need two disks, you need two partitions. Depending on the way your disks are partitioned, I assume it's not impossible to do what I explained with a standard Linux. What I need to know is if the web administration interface would let me do it, or if I'll be able to edit the raidtab file without breaking the box (provided it's not been designed for such a use), or if it'll be totally impossible.
TS-209 Pro, fw 1.1.5[list][*]# 2 x WD10EACS (Western Digital, 1TB)[/*][*]# 2 RAID arrays[/*][*]# NTFS write support[/*][*]# Upcoming: dm_crypt and TrueCrypt encryption[/*][/list]
christian

Post by christian »

Perhaps this will help you further

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2818
dJeyL
Starting out

Post by dJeyL »

Thanks! :)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”