Authentication problems

Questions about using Windows AD service.
peterd
New here

Re: Authentication problems

Post by peterd »

@Zenimi,
are you working with your device in a AD Domain ?? Because what do you do with local credentials in a AD-Enviroment ?? But maybe i interprete you wrong...

@Andydietl
I think it has something to do with the SAMBA-Part of the QNAP-Firmware.
I was in contact with Jauss of QNAP-Developers. I gave the RDP access to our Network so that they could get a sneakpeak at the problem and after this i
gave the new beta Firmware a try and it's working here now.
So i think in the next few weeks the should be the new firmware release and the this problem should be gone.

Best Regards
Peter
djdrey
Starting out

Post by djdrey »

I have this issue as well. It seems a NAS reboot solves it for me, which isn't ideal (809-U). Haven't had the chance to try a SMB restart from SSH yet. I did upgrade to 3.2.6 firmware and it seemed to make things worse, with the NAS effectively crashing at least once a day (with very high load issues). Look forward to the new firmware, as I've had to go back to 3.2.4 for the moment.
zenimi
New here

Post by zenimi »

peterd wrote:@Zenimi,
are you working with your device in a AD Domain ?? Because what do you do with local credentials in a AD-Enviroment ?? But maybe i interprete you wrong...
Yes I am in AD environment. The Credential Manager is used to store user names and passwords to internet or network address, and there's nothing local about it.
engr_gabby
New here

Post by engr_gabby »

Hi
Firmware version 3.2.7 has been released last week. Has anyone tried it already? Was it able to solve problems posted above?
Regards,
EG
TS-439 Pro Turbo file server
Windows 2008 R2 domain controller
Windows XP sp3, Windows 7 clients
peterd
New here

Post by peterd »

Hello all,

i have downloaded and installed the newest firmware for our QNAP Device and finally it works.

I get connection AND ACESS with hostname, FQDN and IP-Adress :D in our enviroment.

Best Regards/pd
AnomRake
Starting out

Post by AnomRake »

Same here, version TS-639_3.2.7_Build0526 works like a charm in a domain!
ggoode
New here

Post by ggoode »

Hi I have a TS-459 pro, i am experiencing the exact same issue wih the AD integration... unc to IP works but netbios name doesnt. if i use the admin username and password it WILL connect - if it doesnt you need to remove the nas login credentials from the "manage network passwords" in user acounts. The netbios path it seems to work only when the client pc doesnt get rebooted after the admin usr name has been used. I use login scripts to map drive and i can have crap like this going on - what is the solution QNAP????????.
ggoode
New here

Post by ggoode »

i meant the admin username and password for the NAS device, not windows, sorry.
mpasqualone
Starting out

Post by mpasqualone »

I am having this problem as well with my TS-509 on firmware 3.3.0 build 629T. I joined the QNAP to my domain and I can access the NAS' share folders via IP, but not by DNS name. When I try to access the NAS via DNS name, I am prompted for authentication, but neither my administrator account nor my own account are working.

I have tried restarting the SMB services, but this has not helped. I have also looked for stored credentials as others have suggested, but this has not helped.
Crusnik01
Starting out

Post by Crusnik01 »

Same issue here, but it seems to only affect clients running Windows Vista or 7. I myself am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and find this issue very annoying.

NAS version: 3.3.0 Build 0629T
Active Directory: Windows Server 2003
QNAPJauss
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJauss »

Hi,

Until now, we have found 2 main causes for this issue.

First cause : Windows stored the wrong password in the credential manager and cause the connection failure with the hostname.
On windows 7, find the credential manager in the control Panel :
crendendialW7.jpg
In Windows 2003, you should find "Stored User Names and Passwords" in the control panel.
Here an URL about Stored Password : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... S.10).aspx

Second cause : A Time difference caused by the DST (Daylight Saving Time).
Example : If you disable DST on the domain controller, enable DST on the NAS and set the correct time on the NAS, then the authentication will work with the IP (using NTLM) and it will fail with the hostname(because in this case the PC will try kerberos authentication with the domain controller, and will reject the connection because of the time.)

Make sure that the Time-zone on the NAS, on the Domain controller and on the Client PC are the same.
Also, please synchronize the time of the NAS with the Domain controller using NTP :
System Administration > General Settings > Date and Time
Then configure the synchronization with your Domain controller.
If after the synchronization you have 1 hour difference, check your DST settings.

BR,
Jauss
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mpasqualone
Starting out

Post by mpasqualone »

OK, I fixed it. That's embarassing.

I didn't notice that the time on my domain controller was off by a day. I had it on July 13, not July 14. I checked this before, but clearly not well enough. ;)

Thanks Jauss.
jkelman
New here

Re: Authentication problems - still have this on TS-439 Pro

Post by jkelman »

Hi, I'm experienceing this same problem (failure to accept authentication based on AD user/password for access to shares showing in Explorer under My Network Places). The environment is:
Windows Server 2003 running AD.
Client is Windows XP Professional SP3
NAS firmware is 3.3.0 Build 0629T
Both client machine and NAS have been successfully joined to the domain.

I cannot get to shares either by using the FQDN or the ip address.
As suggested, I've checked the time, time synchronisation and daylight savings settings on server, NAS and client and confirmed they are all correctly set and showing identical time.
Have also removed any cached userids/passwords on client machine (Control Panel, User Accounts, Advanced, Manage Passwords). None were stored on the server.

JK
QNAPJauss
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJauss »

Dear JK,
I cannot get to shares either by using the FQDN or the ip address.
If you cannot connect with the IP, it is not the same problem.

The fastest way is to contact technical support for assistance by those way :
Online Support Form: <http://qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp>
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com

Meanwhile, you can check your NTLM setting: If you enabled NTLMv2 only on your domain, do the same on the NAS. (Microsoft Networking > Advanced settings)
Also, can you connect with a domain user by webfile manager ? (by default the format is domain+username)
If not, the best is to contact the support.

BR,
Jauss
jkelman
New here

Re: Authentication problems - caching, fixed by reboot

Post by jkelman »

Thanks for your reply, Jauss - turns out the problem must have been cached credentials somewhere - a restart of both the NAS and the client PC got things working as desired.
JK

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”