Here are Twonky 5/6 trees to suit larger music collections

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Briain
Experience counts

Here are Twonky 5/6 trees to suit larger music collections

Post by Briain »

Hi

Edit (25th March 2014): Please note that the current trees can be downloaded from the Linn news server (post with links, here). When I get a free moment, I will change the links in this post to point directly to the download files.

Twonky 5.1.xx and 6.0.xx Enhanced Music Menu
(Below post totally re-written on 22 Dec 2011)

I have created some bespoke menus for Twonky. These were originally to address the shortfall caused by Twonky dropping the custom music tree settings option from the web interface, but once I had looked into how it could be done, I soon found that it was possible to exceed the functionality previously available in Twonky 4's trees. The new trees contain a simple main menu (to access Artists, Albums, etc) and have more complex features in the sub menus. As an example of this, you can now navigate using paths like genre/composer/album or genre/composer/artist. What that means (as long as your tagging is in good order) is that you can select the classical genre, then show a list of composers from your classical collection, whilst not showing all the ones from the other genres; it acts as a filter (see more at end on genre tagging).

There are two basic size categories of tree; one to suit medium to large music collections (say, a few hundred to many thousands of albums) and another to suit folks with smaller collections (only a few hundred albums). The exact changeover point really depends on the capabilities of your control point and the software you are running on it. The advantage of the trees for larger collections is that they keep the list sizes down and enable faster navigation. This can significantly speed up the performance on slower control points, but I find that over a certain number of albums, it enhances the experience even on faster devices (like iPad based control points); it just makes things more manageable.

For each type of size category of tree, there are two choices; one is suited to folks who have populated their album artist tags and another for folks who haven't done so, so that means there are now 4 completely different tree packs to choose from and thus there should hopefully be one to suit most folks!

I will not send everyone to sleep writing up the instructions on how to use them; that's best found out by using them! As I mentioned, the basic containers (like Album) are pretty straight forward, but below shows some of the more complex navigation routes now possible:

The below shows the main menus for the two trees; on the left is the main menu of the one best suited to folks who have not used the albumartist tags, and to the right is the main menu for the tree suited to folks who have populated their albumartist tags (these are actually from the ones suited to large collections, but the trees better suited to smaller collections have the same main menus as are shown below):
1.jpg
The below shows how you could navigate to an album from the -Album Artists- menu:
2.jpg
The below shows one of the more 'complex' routes available (the one mentioned in the first paragraph):
3.jpg
The latest trees are downloadable from page two, but to save navigating to there, you can also download them directly from the below links:

Which tree pack to choose:

Medium to Large Music Collections (alpha-grouped trees):

Folks with large music collections and who do use the albumartist tags, use 2012_AlbumArtist.zip

Folks with large music collections but who do not use the album artist tags, use 2012_ArtistOnly.zip

Small Music Collections (ungrouped trees):

Folks with small music collections and who do use the albumartist tags, use 2012_Ungrouped_AlbumArtist.zip

Folks with small music collections but who do not use the album artist tags, use 2012_Ungrouped_ArtistOnly.zip

Full instructions (and pictures) of how to install them with the Qnap Twonky QPKG can be found here on the Linn forum.

There are iPad screen shots of the main menu for albumartist tree as viewed on Songbook DS and Chorus DS control points; see here.

Multiple genres in Twonky

Note that in Twonky, you can create entries under more than one genre. You do that by using a comma to separate the entries. By that, what I mean is that if I tagged an album as below (using MP3TAG or equivalent):

Classical,Classical - Piano,Chilled,High Resolution

Then it would appear under all four of the below genres:

Chilled
Classical
Classical - Piano
High Resolution

Note there should be no spaces between the genre entries.

Bri
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Briain on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 am, edited 12 times in total.
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
Briain
Experience counts

Here are Twonky 5/6 trees to suit larger music collectios

Post by Briain »

Note (Dec 2011): Please note that the above post has just been rewritten to update it; the below post (and some that come after it) relate to Twonky 5.1 (and thus the pre-QPKG Twonky 6 days).

Bri :)

----

1. New trees to suit both Twonky 5.1.5 and Twonky 6
2. New transcoding file option for 5.1.5 (Linn CP's)

Note: The latest T515 and T6 trees are of similar functionality to the ones described below, and can be found on the next page.

Following on from the above post, here are my latest custom Twonky trees designed to better suit larger music collections (and also ideal for control points like Linn's Kinsky PDA and Kinsky Desktop). The XML code within the trees define what Twonky stores in its database and thus also govern the menu items displayed on your media control point. I'll add more (without any alpha-grouping) to better suit control points like the iPod/iPhone/iPad devices as soon as I get some time (not long; but not today). I'm currently using the attached albumartist one on both a TS-659 and a ReadyNAS Duo.

These latest ones suit both Twonky 5.1.6 and also Twonky 6 (for when that eventually arrives on the Qnaps). I actually developed the below trees for Twonky 6 (which needs an additional line of code added to the Twonky 5 trees) but I then noticed that though there are slight differences, the T6 trees worked really well in Twonky 5.1 as well, so no need for two version-specific sets :)

I've created two types of tree; one is ideal for folks who use the albumartist tag and another is designed for folks who do not use the album artist tags. I could have made one big tree (to suit both) with selectable views, but the additional code that requires slows everyting down and thus makes database build time and menu navigation ponderous on the slower NAS's. For that same reason, I've actually published 4 tree options so you can pick the optimum one to suit your requirements.

The menu structure of the new trees is similar to the above, but having had lots of feedback on the order folks prefer, I have arranged them as seen in the picture. I have also simplified the year menu (in two of them) to just showing Year/Album. Not many folks use more than that, and simplifying it has made things a bit swifter (menu and database built times). For those who wish the full year container, I've added these ones as well, but if think you'll never use it, why slow things down by having more than you need?

You can always try the various versions and thus decide what you wish to use (remember to rebuild the database after changing them, and remember to then hit the rescan content directories button to start the scanner and actually build the new database).

Only use the one tree pack at any time, and use the files to replace the existing ones on your NAS (don't have anything else in that directory - not even renamed 'bac' files - as these could corrupt the Twonky database). Note that rebooting the NAS will overwrite all these files with the Twonky original ones.

The location of the trees will likely depend on your particular Qnap. On my 659, they go in /mnt/ext/opt/twonkymedia/resources/views.

The below picture (a composite made from many pictures to illustrate the one of the navigation routes) shows the contents of the Music menu (far left). The next one to the right shows what you see after clicking the highlighted one on its left (etc etc) until you find the music you wish. This is one of the more complex containers and shows how I've used the genre as a 'filter' to list only the classical composers, then selected an album from there. The Composers one above genre looks similar, but without the second column (genre filter) and thus shows all composers in the collection. Of course, the album artist, artist and album menu items are more basic (similar to the normal ones you'd see, but with the additional alpha-grouping options). As explained before, the best way to see how it works it simply to try it, then remove it again (or change it) if you don't like it :)
515_1.jpg
Also attached is a new transcoding file for Twonky 5.1.5 only. This file prevents Twonky 5.1.5 from resizing thumbnail album art to 160 pixels. This is specifically designed for Linn DS users who use PDA's, PC's iPad's etc as control points and thus might not suit certain other devices (some things like art at a specific size so this file might break functionality on these devices; using the original will of course fix everything again). The modified transcoding.db lives one level up from the trees in /mnt/ext/opt/twonkymedia/resources.

Twonky 6 does not need the modified transcoding.db as I have created a new entry for the clients.db which turns off art transcoding to the control point (it's listed as 'Linn DS Control Point' and the Twonky folks have very kindly now bundled it into the T6 builds). If anyone is experimenting with Twonky 6, you have to re-save the media receivers list following a database rebuild (or it goes back to 160 pixel art). It remembers the items in the list (so you don't have to re-select them) but you need to hit the save button after a db rebuild.

In case it helps anyone, below shows the PuTTY terminal commands I've just used to update my TS-659. You can simply put the folders on a Qnap share then use similar technique as I have done. As you can see, I've placed the trees in a directory called 'trees' on the Public share (and the transcoding.db in a directory called 'trans' on the Public share) then copied them across to the appropriate Twonky directories on my TS-659 :)
Copy_515_Files.jpg
Note that for the Marvel series NAS's (like the 219) you first have to delete the existing transcoding file on the Marvel (e.g. rm transcoding.db) then copy the new transcoding file over and make it executable (chmod +x transcoding.db). Unless you do that, the Marvel NAS will simply replace your file with the original as soon as you have copied it over. After that, do the trees the same way; navigate to the views folder as above (cd /views) then type ls to list the contents. Assuming you see the 6 or 7 xml files (to prove you are in the correct place) you can then delete them all (rm *.xml) and copy the new trees over (as shown in the above screen shot). Once done, making them executable will ensure they survive a reboot on the Marvel NAS (chmod +x *); this doesn't work on the Intel NAS's (but when made executable, the new transcoding file does survive a reboot on both types of NAS).

Note: After changing the Twonky trees, you will have to perform a Twonky database rebuild (use the rebuild button in the Twonky config page; it's in the maintenance section) to pick up the changes.

Please PM me if you find/suspect any odd problems when using the revised transcoding.db file (or the trees for that matter) so that I know to check/fix them (or update the notes/caveats). Everything's working really well on my own system, but the transcoding.db might impact on other setups and if so, it would be great to know about it.

Bri

Note: The latest T515 and T6 trees are of similar functionality to the ones described above, and can be found on the next page.

Update: Below shows where the trees live on my Qnap TS-659 when using the new Twonkly 6.0.30 QPKG:
Image1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Briain on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:52 am, edited 16 times in total.
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
ithakus
First post

Re: Here are Twonky 5/6 trees to suit larger music collectio

Post by ithakus »

Brian,

Hi - this is very helpful.

I just upgraded my Qnap and now have 5.1.6. I'm not 100% ok with the default options - I use album artists - and your trees look like a good option for me.

Grateful if you could let me know whether these will work with 5.1.6 (including the transcoding issue for almbumart).

I also have my QNAP set to regularly reboot but I understand from you that that will cause the trees to be continually overwritten - what would you recommend on that?

fyi I am not very familiar with linux but can manage some basic tasks with guidance.

Thanks in anticipation.
Adrian
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi Adrian

Sorry I missed your post and yes, these trees work with Twonky 5.1.3 to 5.1.6 and also 6.0.

Unfortunately, the reboot will overwrite things and that is a pest. I don't currently have a solution to that one other than to leave your NAS switched on (you can always use HDD spin down to save some power).

Bri

PS Next post will contain updated trees (in a few minutes)
APC Smart-UPS 750
Q
Experience counts

Post by Q »

the reboot will overwrite things and that is a pest.
does it work when you copy the tree files from a share (like public) to their destination at every reboot by putting a command in the autorun.sh?
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi Q

That's a really, really good idea Q; I'll try that as I could use it to copy the transcoding file over too.

Curiously, after reading the QNAP TS & SS ARM & Intel How-to Guide V1.2.pdf, I tried the below trick:

# mount /dev/sdx6 /tmp/config
# cd /tmp/config
[/tmp/config] # ls
BOOT_COUNT lost+found/ smb.conf.cksum uLinux.conf
customise.conf smb.conf system.map.key
[/tmp/config] #

I expected to see the autorun.sh file, but as you can see, it is not there; am I correct in assuming that customise.conf is maybe the TS-X59 equivalent of autorun.sh, or do you simply have to create a new autorun.sh? All that's in customise.conf at the moment is the following info line #Customise configure file. which maybe implies it could be used to perform a similar function (though I'm a bit reluctant to just wade in and experiment with it in case I cause any boot problems).

Once I've cracked that, I'd expect that it would work fine as it'll all happen pretty quickly. Actually, talking of timing, I assume that would happen after the trees were installed from flash and thus overwrite them with my ones. It would also have to happen before the Twonky service started as it rebuilds the database at boot time*. I assume the autorun.sh is pretty late on in the boot-up process?

Bri

* Thinking aloud; In my case I'd also want to copy TMS 5.1.3 server file over too, but it'd have to do that before the Twonky service started as the 5.1.6 twonkymediaserver file might not be over-writable be once the service is running. I'll try all these things then let you all know what happens (now where is that fire extinguisher anyway) :D
APC Smart-UPS 750
Q
Experience counts

Post by Q »

hmm guess you need to create autorun.sh (http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Running_Your_ ... at_Startup)
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

I tried this but it didn't work as expected; I wonder if I've done something incorrect (maybe the syntax in my autorun.sh file is incorrect) or whether it's something more subtle (see end)?

I created a directory in the Web share (bootfiles) and inside that, I created two more directories; trees and trans. The trees one contains the trees and the trans one contains the transcoding.db.

I then created the below lines in my new autorun.sh file (which sits in the /bootfiles directory)

# Update tree files
cp /share/MD0_DATA/Web/bootfiles/trees/* /mnt/ext/opt/twonkymedia/resources/views/

# Update transcoding files
cp /share/MD0_DATA/Web/bootfiles/trans/transcoding.db /mnt/ext/opt/twonkymedia/resources/

I then made it executable

cd /share/MD0_DATA/Web/bootfiles/
chmod +x autorun.sh

I mounted the flash as follows:

mount /dev/sdx6 /tmp/config
cd /tmp/config

I then created a link to my autorun.sh file

ln –sf /share/MD0_DATA/Web/bootfiles/autorun.sh autorun.sh

I then checked it:

[/tmp/config] # ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 2 Jul 9 16:33 BOOT_COUNT
lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin administ 40 Jul 9 16:39 autorun.sh -> /share/MD0_DATA/Web/bootfiles/autorun.sh*
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 27 Apr 22 22:30 customise.conf
drwx------ 2 admin administ 12288 Feb 22 14:22 lost+found/
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 3378 Jun 30 15:06 smb.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 11 Jun 30 15:06 smb.conf.cksum
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 37 Jun 30 14:51 system.map.key
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 6377 Jul 9 16:28 uLinux.conf

I then unmounted the flash as below

cd/
umount /dev/sdx6

Unfortunately, after rebooting the NAS the default trees were back again; I wonder if autorun.sh is copying them over before Twonky files are reinstalled from flash? If so, it'll copy them over then they'll be overwritten again by the original ones. I'm tempted to create a completely new Twonky installation (probably Twonky 6.0.1) and try to find and then work out how you change the startup script to point to the new Twonky directory as opposed to the default one; that would likely do the trick.

Bri
APC Smart-UPS 750
cloudyweather
Getting the hang of things

Post by cloudyweather »

Hi Bri,

This is fantastic. I've loaded up your AlbumArtist set and it makes so much more sense than Twonkys.
I love the way you are making use of the Album Artist. I used dbPoweramp so nearly all of my collection have that tag but I wasn't really sure how to use it until now. I have loads of classical music with multiple Artists and so AlbumArtist provides the shorter list.

One thing I've been toying with is changing the Album title to describe the work - classical music only.
Typically you have a single artist/group performing works by different composers on a CD. When I want to look for something, it's usually a specific work by a composer. So breaking that CD into several Albums, with each Title being a movement or part of that set seems like a good idea.
The CD still remains in a folder of it's own, it's just the tags that would change.
The other thing I'm thinking I need to do following this route is to prepend the Composers surname and add the Album artist surname at the end of the Album title (for cases where I have more than one version). This is because I also use the same music source for Squeezebox and an occasional convert to mp3 for an iPod. Trying to come up with a scheme that works across all these is not easy. Composer rarely features.

The other possibility here is that I'm just making everything way to complicated.
I need to be able to look up:
Classical by Composer and then works (new AlbumTitle above).
Classical by Album Artist and then works (new AlbumTitle above).
Classical by Folder (to access the original cd title and playlist).

Given the obvious time and effort you have put into your music cataloguing and Twonky tweaking, I wondered what you thought of the above scheme and whether there were any gotchas.

Many thanks,
Sean
TS-269L with Twonky, MinimServer, LogitechMediaServer, phpMyAdmin, Joomla and TNG Family Tree.
a94andwi
Starting out

Post by a94andwi »

Hello.

I was very suprised when I received an completely arrogant email from Twonky regarding the built in trees in Version 5. I, as you guys, have also a huge mp3 collection and have been tagging all my songs carefully using the album artist tag.

I need to send my big thanks regarding this post. It has helped me a lot.

Next I need to find some link to similar topics regarding images and videos.
I am Swedish so I am translating the container names to Swedish. I will upload them here as soon as I have found out how to include Swedish letters in the container names. It worked in Version 4 so hopefully Twonky has not removed the html encode of e.g. Å etc.
Any ideas I would be glad for some input.

Thanks.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi Sean

Yes, it is pretty tricky to get things tagged for all platforms, but there is a way round it!

For Twonky, it's worth knowing that you can create multiple genre entries; that is really useful! As an example, I have a Chopin album tagged as follows: Classical - Piano,Classical,Chilled,Linn and this means that the album appears under all four genre categories; Chilled, Classical, Classical - Piano and Linn. By having Classical - Piano first in the string of text, that's the one you see on the Duet/Sonos (the whole line appears as a single genre entry, but the rest are physically 'off screen').

For Sonos compatibility, you can use MP3TAG and create a rule to populate the Ensemble field with what's currently in the Albumartist field. When Sonos sees Ensemble tags, it displays them instead of the contributing artist fields and thus ensemble functions like albumartist. Nothing else picks up Ensemble so it doesn't upset Twonky or Squeezecentre.

Squeezecentre understands the albumartist tag and thus works, the odd thing is that Squeezecentre reads many tags but that the Duet menu is so basic! I believe you can install an add-on which enables you to write custom xml code and generate custom trees, but I have not had time to investigate that.

For my friends SqueezeCentre (Duet) system I have filed all the classical albums in composer name folders such that they can navigate to them that way; I have yet to deploy this new system to see how usable it is.

Incidentally, Twonky have changed T6.0.1 RC9 (I'm now using it on my TS-659 and it works well) and I have posted an observation about one change here. This only impacts on how the art is displayed in the '-Folder-' container of my custom trees and is thus not really very important. It does make the '-Folder-' menu item look slightly less cool with my custom trees, but as I say, it's not causing any problems.

Bri

Hi A94andwi

Using my tree with Twonky set to another language can upset it a bit. It's thus better to rename the containers and leave Twonky set to English. This is actually very easy to do though and if you use the right xml editor (Notepad++ is good if you are using Windows), the individual containers are very easy to see and thus easy to change too.

If you download Notapad++ (free) and use that to open the view-definitions.xml tree, it shows the containers layed out in a more logical manner. You can then change the container names for each container to change what is shown on the control point the menu. By example, the below shows one of my existing ones, and the code below that shows it with the container names changed to -My Name One-, -My Name Two- and -My Name Three-. You don't have to change any of the other xml files, just the <container name='Change me here' .... entry at the very start of each container in the view-definitions file.

Incidentally, I have made them '-My Name One-' (as opposed to just 'My Name One') as that prevents certain control points re-arranging them into alphabetical layout. That they have hyphens either side of the text will also help you more easily spot the ones that need changed in the code :)

Code: Select all

<container name='-Tunes-' groupid='music/BriTunes' upnp:originalTrackNumber='6' class='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
<container buildon='dc:title[1]' class='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
<container name='-List Tunes-' class='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' >
</container>
<container name='-Show Which Albums-' class='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
<container buildon='dc:title' sclass='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
<container buildon='upnp:album' albumart='1' sortcriteria='+upnp:originalTrackNumber' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container.album.musicAlbum'/>
</container>
</container>
</container>
</container>

Code: Select all

<container name='-My Name One-' groupid='music/BriTunes' upnp:originalTrackNumber='6' class='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
<container buildon='dc:title[1]' class='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
<container name='-My Name Two-' class='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' >
</container>
<container name='-My Name Three-' class='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
<container buildon='dc:title' sclass='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
<container buildon='upnp:album' albumart='1' sortcriteria='+upnp:originalTrackNumber' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container.album.musicAlbum'/>
</container>
</container>
</container>
</container>
Hope that helps
Bri
APC Smart-UPS 750
symphys
Know my way around

Post by symphys »

Hi!

I'm trying to reorder my collection and ran into the same problems. It's important for me that iTunes also works. For iTunes the value albumartist ist not relevant, it's band. Also Windows Media Player seems to sort compilations after the band tag.

Is it possible to configure twonky to look at band and not albumartist? If yes, how?
QNAP TS-209 Pro, RAID1 with Samsung 2Tb HDDs
Firmware features used: FTP, Samba, SSH, Twonky UPnP MediaServer
UPnP Clients: Philips Cineos Flat TV 42PFL9703D, Dell XPS M1710 Windows 7 Ultimate, PlugPlayer with backgrounder on iPhone
Optware features: OpenVPN, Subversion
cloudyweather
Getting the hang of things

Post by cloudyweather »

Hi Bri,

I'm not sure exactly how I achieved this but my TS-219P with build 3.3.1 0720T (Twonky 5.1.6) doesn't lose the edited View-definitions.xml and advanced.view.xml files.
I can restart/rebuild/rescan Twonky. I can restart the NAS.
They remain. I used yours as a starting point and then made personal customisation changes.

Thanks,
Sean
TS-269L with Twonky, MinimServer, LogitechMediaServer, phpMyAdmin, Joomla and TNG Family Tree.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

Sorry I missed the above two posts.

Hi symphys.

Twonky doesn't work with 'band', just albumartist.

Hi Sean.

Excellent; I guess the 219 works in a different way.

Bri
APC Smart-UPS 750
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

Note: The latest T515 and T6 trees are of similar functionality to the ones below (but slightly better) and can be found on the next page.

Trees removed; please use later ones on next page.

:)
Last edited by Briain on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
APC Smart-UPS 750

Return to “Media Streaming”