[HELP] RAID mirroring incomplete

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
anotherbrick
New here

[HELP] RAID mirroring incomplete

Post by anotherbrick »

Setup info:
TS-409
2 - WD10EACS 1TB 5400-7200 variable RPM drives
RAID 1
FW 2.0.0 Build 122T

I'm experiencing an issue with my new TS-409. Long story short, I copied over a lot of data, and the mirroring process completed successfully. The next morning disk 2 (I have two 1TB Western Digital WD10EACS drives) showed up in the logs as having been removed (it hadn't). I rebooted the device and it happened again. Each time the NAS tried to mirror the data again, failing around 5%. I assumed that the second disk was faulty and exchanged it. Upon receiving a replacement, I shut down the QNAP (just to be sure) installed the new drive and fired it up again. Mirroring failed at the same place. I then scanned disk 1 for bad blocks... it's got a ton of them... 962 in fact.

I'm looking for a way to get the mirroring job to ignore the existing bad blocks so that I can force all of the data on to the new disk before having to replace it (thus avoiding the tedious copying of lots of data) Can anyone help with this? Would it work to pop out the broken disk, create a single disk volume on the new one, re-insert the old one and copy from the mirror to the single?

Thanks for your help in advance!
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Re: [HELP] RAID mirroring incomplete

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear anotherbrick
Once there is bad block on the disk, the system will warn users. The system can start auto-rebuilding from the degraded mode, once a new hard drive is detected.
But for the rebuilding process, the system cannot accept the hard disk with bad block.

If your previous RAID 1 was established successfully, you just need to swap the failed drive with a new one. The data will be kept without problem.
Kindly check the procedures here. http://www.qnap.com/pro_features_hotswap.asp

Cheers,
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”