[HELP] AIFF metadata not read by TwonkyMedia Music Tree.

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
bwv872
New here

[HELP] AIFF metadata not read by TwonkyMedia Music Tree.

Post by bwv872 »

Just received a QNAP TS-439 Pro ii+ a few days ago - main purpose is to store and stream music for my soon to arrive Linn Majik DS-I - I have been experimenting ripping CDs in different formats and playing around with TwonkyMedia (v. 6.0.30). I am ripping CDs with dBpoweramp on Windows 7 platform, but also have MacPro and iMac on the network and ripping music with iTunes on the Macs.

With FLAC, ALAC, and MP3 formats all seems to go well. Metadata is present and the Twonky Music Tree functions and navigation through tree shows said metadata as one would expect.

Here is the problem: when I rip AIFF files Twonky does not see any metadata except the title of the track (no Album, album artist, genre, etc.). So navigation through the Twonky Music Tree shows only ‘unknown’ headings with each respective branch (album, artist, etc.) and under each ‘Unknown’ branch of the music tree are listing of all ripped songs (each with proper track title).
This problem persists whether I rip the AIFF files directly to the QNAP multimedia folder - or first rip to a HD on my windows PC with dBpoweramp or rip AIFF files on a Mac with iTunes - and then move/copy the files to the QNAP multimedia folder - no metadata (except track title seen or organized by the Twonky Music Tree). But these same files when initially ripped to the Mac or Windows PC (or later if I move files back from the QNAP server to a respective computer) have all the appropriate metadata as seen using iTunes.

This has been discussed on the Linn Forums - http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... 779&page=1 - with no obvious resolution. Can TwonkyMedia on the QNAP handle AIFF tags?

I would really like to store and use AIFFs with useful embedded metadata on my QNAP which I so far - except for this problem - am very happy with.

Thank you and will appreciate any help in solving this problem.

Scott
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Re: [HELP] AIFF metadata not read by TwonkyMedia Music Tree.

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi Scott,
I have checked with Twonky team and they said that AIFF metadata is not supported.
If you can send me some samples, then I can ask Twonky to try to support in the future.

Jason
bwv872
New here

Post by bwv872 »

Jason
Thank you for taking the time to look into this problem ([HELP] AIFF metadata not read by TwonkyMedia Music Tree. - viewtopic.php?p=168592#p168592). What type of samples would you like? - Screen shots? - Or the actual AIFF file? Sorry to sound obtuse on what you need. At this point I have resigned myself to the fact that AIFF is not workable from a metadata standpoint on Twonky and I am in the process of ripping my music to FLAC - which Twonky handles nicely. However, I'll be glad to send you any info I have on the AIFF metadata problem, given that I believe it would improve Twonky for future users, if it in fact supported metadata for this commonly used audio format.

Overall very happy with my new QNAP TS-439 Pro ii+.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

Scott
bwv872
Cadet

kzboray
Starting out

Post by kzboray »

I'd like to second this request. Just picked up a 419p+ and love it. I ripped over a thousand CD's with dBpoweramp in the AIFF format only to find that Twonky won't read the metadata correctly. I like Twonky and think it has a lot of promise but if it can't properly support a standard format with such a large following i.e. iTunes, then it really isn't a viable alternative for a Media Server.
engwell
New here

Post by engwell »

I'm having similar problems with WAV files. My HiFi streamer manufacturer recommends WAV files for lossless quality. Is it worth me trying to get the navigation trees working or is there an inherent metadata problem with WAV files?

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

I think you have to use special tagging software for wav files (and there are some limitations to it). The best solution is to convert them all to FLAC (as long as your media streamer recognises FLAC) which is a 'lossless' compression format (unlike MP3 which chucks most of the music away)!

I use FLAC for everything (even up to 24 bit 192 KHz studio masters).

Bri
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
Parisan
First post

Post by Parisan »

I have exactly the same problem as described above with wav files. As the last post was 6 months ago, are there any answer from Qnap or Twonky on this issue.
I own a 412 TS and rip my cds with dbPoweramp.

Thanks - Gilles
jvilly
New here

Post by jvilly »

Anyone at Twonky? Is there any intention in making this work for us QNAP users? (using TS410). FLAC is not always an ideal solution. AIFF has the option in using metadata, so I would like to use it as well :D

Return to “Media Streaming”