Two-way sync

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
johnripper
Experience counts

Two-way sync

Post by johnripper »

Hello,

it would a great feature to enable the next firmware to sync two folders on different (qnap) devices in both directions. Currently only a one-way sync is possible.

I think i am not alone with this wish.

JR
QNAPTony
QNAP Staff

Re: Two-way sync

Post by QNAPTony »

Hi JR,

Thanks for your feedback, because there are some technical issues on two-way sync, we will try to find out a solution.

Regards,
Tony
onlyalex
Experience counts

Post by onlyalex »

An Qnap implementation of unison would be great.
Cheers.
Nas1: Qnap TS-809 Pro "3.7.1 Build 0615"
Nas2: Qnap TS-119 "3.5.0 Build0816"
Nas3: Qnap TS-119P+ "3.5.0 Build0816"
Nas4: Qnap TS-212 "3.6.0 Build0210"
Nas5: Qnap TS-259 Pro+"3.5.0 Build 0815"
Nas6: Qnap TS-459 Pro II "3.5.0 Build 0815"
iPad2: 64Gig 3G "iOS 6"
UPS: APC Back-UPS RS 550VA

QNAP Comparison Cart HERE | 1Bay | 2Bay | 4Bay | 5Bay | 6Bay | 8Bay | 1U | 2U |
QNAP Compatibility List HERE | Online User Manual | Tutorials | Frequently Asked Questions |
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

QNAPTony wrote:Hi JR,

Thanks for your feedback, because there are some technical issues on two-way sync, we will try to find out a solution.

Regards,
Tony
Thanks for the reply on this. Also I think i will not be the only one who would be happy about this feature.

And also other products (syndology NAS) can do this : )
fantomas
Experience counts

Post by fantomas »

hmmm, where exactly? Bidirectional sync requires to keep track of changes - you don't know whether a file was deleted on one volume or added on the another... otherwise it's not full sync.
experience with administration of UN*X (mostly linux) and applications on internet servers since 1994...
onlyalex
Experience counts

Post by onlyalex »

Bi-directional sync or two way sync if you like = unison
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

To my knowledge bultin support is not yet avalible on eighter qnap or synology. Let's see which one will implement it in there firmware first :) ... The demand from users is high and i for sure would see a real benefit not only for home users but alot of business users that has the demand.

Cheers
Nas1: Qnap TS-809 Pro "3.7.1 Build 0615"
Nas2: Qnap TS-119 "3.5.0 Build0816"
Nas3: Qnap TS-119P+ "3.5.0 Build0816"
Nas4: Qnap TS-212 "3.6.0 Build0210"
Nas5: Qnap TS-259 Pro+"3.5.0 Build 0815"
Nas6: Qnap TS-459 Pro II "3.5.0 Build 0815"
iPad2: 64Gig 3G "iOS 6"
UPS: APC Back-UPS RS 550VA

QNAP Comparison Cart HERE | 1Bay | 2Bay | 4Bay | 5Bay | 6Bay | 8Bay | 1U | 2U |
QNAP Compatibility List HERE | Online User Manual | Tutorials | Frequently Asked Questions |
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

Syndology NAS can do this already!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

johnripper wrote:Syndology NAS can do this already!
I started looking for it when you initially made that claim and now I searched again. I can't find anything but rumours and disappointment in their forum on the topic, so please show us where to read more about the details of the solution.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

I looked it up in the manual.

Look at the following document: http://ukdl.synology.com/download/ds/us ... er_enu.pdf, chapter 9, page 81, where it says:
- Sync Shared Folder Contents between DiskStations

For me this looks like a 2-way-sync
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

johnripper wrote:For me this looks like a 2-way-sync
I see nothing in the manual to support that notion. The source-destination-terminology that is being used definately speaks against your theory.

Additionaly the port number 873 is mentioned, which is an extremely strong indication that you're looking at a gui version of plain old rsync. Very much like the rsync-based Remote Replication of Qnap.

In addition to that, Qnap also have Real Time Remote Replication (RTRR). At a very quick glance through the index I find no similar feature from Synology.

Don't get me wrong, two-way sync would be beautiful (unless crippled by compromises and limitations) but it involves significant challenges and that is probably the reason it isn't common.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
jan_chu
Starting out

Post by jan_chu »

This is BY FAR the functionality i miss the most !

Im looking into Unison at the moment. But it would be a killer if qnap could raise the bar on NAS functionality and implement this.

Is it something you are looking on / developing on ? Or is this YEARS away from release?

//Jan Chu
xoxide101
Know my way around

Post by xoxide101 »

Please review .. as this is one of the features i would like as well

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=52382

I have a list of Backup / Rsync / Database backup items and general backup requests i'm trying to put into one larger BACK improvemnt List please give me your feedback
xoxide101
Know my way around

Post by xoxide101 »

BTW .. usually its an option

SYNC
Sync and Delete removed Files
Sync One Direction UP
Sync One Direction DOWN

http://www.handybackup.net/ is software i have used for YEARS.. nearly 11 years.. this firm is a group in Russia.. they had a firm in the USA that sorta messed them up and use thier name still SO CAREFUL ON WHOM IS REAL

www.handybackup.ru will get you to the russian page and you can click ENGLISH at the to which will redirect you

THE FEATURES it has ..

are perfect simple and work well

I use them with the QNAPS however its SLOWER than you would imagine because of the systems going back and forth between workstation or server and the nas..

Now built in BACKUP featuers work much faster

however they are missing some features you are mentioning like above

Sync
Hourly
Daily
Weekly
Monthly
Yearly

now you can also keep how many COPIES if you wish to and it will time stamp them as well and they fall off or are deleted as required

if these features including DATABASE backup were built into the server it would not only be faster but would vastly improve the quality of the QNAP features and help with HIGHER end and SOHO / Business use as ISO requires some pretty deep backup and recovery systems for ONSITE / OFF SITE

I would suggest they add ONE other that none of them have which would be a backup that could START and STOP depending on TIME OF DAY so that sites with SLOWER BAND networks could use OFF HOURS to do backups.. they may take longer but thats not the problem .. PRODUCTIVITY for the business and firms using the qnaps IS

I have MANY 2 drive up to the newer 10 Drive units Deployed already.. i have more than i would have imagined 2 years ago when i started using them as a way to bypass ACTIVE DIRECTORY and a legacy issue i have

Features like this give the CLOUD value..

Jeff
trejder
Know my way around

Post by trejder »

Hi,

Speaking about Unison. Many people around this forum keeps talking about Unison package designed specially for QNAP? But I can't find it.

So? There is or there isn't ready out-of-the-box solution for getting Unison to QNAP? Can I get it fast or do I need to follow whole procedure of recompilation and instalation, covered in official release documentation?

Cheers,
Trejder
QNAP TS-210 with:
- RAID 0 Stripping Disk Volume using 2x2TB HDD (Samsung HD204UI),
- plus 1,5TB Ext USB HDD (Samsung HD154UI),
- and 0,75TB Ext USB HDD (WD MyPassport).
Latest firmware installed.
avaterera
Starting out

Post by avaterera »

trejder wrote:Hi,

Speaking about Unison. Many people around this forum keeps talking about Unison package designed specially for QNAP? But I can't find it.

So? There is or there isn't ready out-of-the-box solution for getting Unison to QNAP? Can I get it fast or do I need to follow whole procedure of recompilation and instalation, covered in official release documentation?

Cheers,
Trejder
There isn't as far as I know... Waiting for it too.

Return to “Features Wanted”