timemachine not working with 3.5 firmware installed.

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
bakkese
Starting out

Re: timemachine not working with 3.5 firmware installed.

Post by bakkese »

I have Snow Leopard on two machines which never had backup issues since I got my QNAP NAS. After updating to 3.5.2, I've seen the dreaded message on both machines. I just completed a downgrade to 3.4.4 since there really wasn't anything I needed in 3.5. Hopefully I won't have this issue again, but it would be nice to get it fixed, especially if I ever want to update to OSX 10.7
QNAP TS-419p+ 3 x 6TB RAID-5
bakkese
Starting out

Post by bakkese »

Since this downgrade to 3.4.4 I have yet to have any issues. One of the machines is an iMac 2011 and the other a MacBook Pro (late 2006). Both have the latest snow leopard installed.
QNAP TS-419p+ 3 x 6TB RAID-5
RichieB
Getting the hang of things

Post by RichieB »

I upgraded to 3.6.0 build 0210T, and this issue persists. I am seriously thinking of downgrading to firnware 3.4 where all was fine.
intheswim
New here

Post by intheswim »

Server Name Qnap119
Firmware Version 3.6.0 Build 0210T

I am now receiving the following message when TM tries to run a new (incremental) backup;
'Time Machine can't finish the backup. The diskcopyfile '/Volumes/TMBackup/iMac of xxx.sparsebundle' which is used for the backup, is already in use.'

What to do?
smith3
New here

Post by smith3 »

I have also been experiencing this with firmware 3.6.0 build 0210T ts419p+
imac late 2009 i7 running lion 10.7.3.
Qnap is there a fix in the works for this issue?
Verakso
New here

Post by Verakso »

I can only stand in line with the rest, there is having issues with the latest firmware and TimeMachine.

All to late I did found a workaround for corrupt backups (http://bit.ly/GIuk7e), but I ditched my backup and started from scratch - bad idea.

I think I have tried everything. Deletet the TimeMachine sparsbunde file, re-enabled the TimeMaschine service, created a new backup, that fails because I only have 140 GB of the 500 GB allocated to do an initial backup on 250 GB.

What I can't figure out if this is a Mac problem (is there a setting I have missed, that keeps trying to do more backup than the 250 GB), or is it the buggy firmware of QNAP.

What ever it is, it is not a reliable situation, given in mind that most of us by a QNAP do do some backup.

I am somewhat disappointed right now

EDIT: Just an update, since I spend all night trying to figurering this out.
If you are running Lion (OSX 10.7.x) you can't downgrade due to changes in the AFP. Latest firmware that supports Lion is 3.5.x
This seems to be consisten with what other is writing, people running prior versions like Snow Leopard (<OSX 10.6.x) doesn't have these problems.

What stills annoys me is, that even if I delete the sparsbunde and create a new fresh version, the TimeMachine still insists there is allready used like 400 GB of my TimeMachine space, and I have not yet figured out what is taking up the space...
QNAP-419P (RAID 5 4x2GB WDC)
RichieB
Getting the hang of things

Post by RichieB »

Does anyone know if this problem still exists with QNAP firmware 3.8.0 ? The notes say: Enhances Time Machine backup compatibility with OS X Mountain Lion.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

There is no "this problem" - several different issues in the play here. Several issues listed in this thread were AFP related - and addressed in 3.5.1 already. v3.8 addresses an issue where an unexpected protocol reset has lead to a initial full backup. Some reports around in the forum on inconstant quota handling. for sure, 3.5. is _not_ Mountain Lion compatible.

It does not make any sense, to warm-up such an old thread again.

Return to “Backup & Restore”