Bittorrent Client never starts

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
Ali
New here

Bittorrent Client never starts

Post by Ali »

I have a TS-209. I loan a torrent file to the client but it never starts. The file size details are retreived but the download does not start. The information reports no error.

I have updated the firmware to the latest (5/11/07) with no improvement. I have upnp enabled on both the QNAP and my router (Netgear). I have tried with or without port forwarding (do I need port forwarding if I am using upnp?).

I am able to use the same torrent file from a client PC on the intranet.

I am at a loss. Any suggestions.

Regards

Alasdair. :(
The_Obo
Starting out

Post by The_Obo »

I used to have the same problem, but after a bit of surfing on this forum, I applied the following changes and not only got a huge speed increase (from about 10-20k, to 50-100k each) I also get many more seeds and many previous torrents that would not start now do:

instructions:

1) disable UPnP in the router
2) change the torrent port on the NAS from 6881~6991 to 16881~16991
- from Download Station, click "Set Config" and change "BitTorrent port range: ", and turn OFF "UPnP NAT port forwarding"
3) From router create a new Service for ports 16881~16991 and forward this service to your NAS.
4) change the download speed and upload speed to 512KB & 25KB respectively.

5) in your NAS admin TCP/IP configuration, ensure you have a fixed IP address, your router's IP as Default Gateway, and fixed IPs for DNS servers.
(step 5 apparently because "the router was NOT configured properly to send data back to the providers of torrents, therefore after 5 minutes, the speed was dropping to 0-5KB/s")

NB: it doesn't seem to take affect immediately for existing torrents, but all new torrents will go FAST!

Give this a try - worked for me!
parms_uk
New here

That works for me!!

Post by parms_uk »

A big thankyou...

I've been searching high and low for a solution to the basic requirement that I wanted to use my QNAP for. So thankyou once again for your post.....

Regards,

AJ
Ali
New here

Some Improvement

Post by Ali »

The_Obo

thanks for the help. I have made the changes you suggested and the torrents at lease start now. However, I still only get <2KB/Sec.
Ali
New here

Test Torrent

Post by Ali »

I have tested the connection using one of the test files on the QNAP site. I got 19K for a millisecond and around 14k on average. Does anyone know what I should expect.
raimondo
First post

Post by raimondo »

The_Obo wrote:I used to have the same problem, but after a bit of surfing on this forum, I applied the following changes and not only got a huge speed increase (from about 10-20k, to 50-100k each) I also get many more seeds and many previous torrents that would not start now do:

instructions:

- from Download Station, click "Set Config" and change "BitTorrent port range: ", and turn OFF "UPnP NAT port forwarding"
3) From router create a new Service for ports 16881~16991 and forward this service to your NAS.

5) in your NAS admin TCP/IP configuration, ensure you have a fixed IP address, your router's IP as Default Gateway, and fixed IPs for DNS servers.
(step 5 apparently because "the router was NOT configured properly to send data back to the providers of torrents, therefore after 5 minutes, the speed was dropping to 0-5KB/s")

NB: it doesn't seem to take affect immediately for existing torrents, but all new torrents will go FAST!

In step 3, is that I need to port forward to 8080?? or all range to 16881?
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Re: Test Torrent

Post by QNAPIvan »

Ali wrote:I have tested the connection using one of the test files on the QNAP site. I got 19K for a millisecond and around 14k on average. Does anyone know what I should expect.
Hello,
Please try to disable the UPnP port forwarding option of download station. Manual forward the port range of BT (ex: 6500~6999) on the NAT router to the private IP of your QNAP NAS.

Cheers,
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
The_Obo
Starting out

Re:

Post by The_Obo »

raimondo wrote:In step 3, is that I need to port forward to 8080?? or all range to 16881?
Depending on your router (mine is NetGear) you create a new "Service" (eg. called "BitTorrent") with port range 16881-16991.
Then set this service to forward to the IP Address of your NAS (eg. 192.168.0.2)

is this clear?

port 8080 has nothing to do with it...
seebold
New here

Re:

Post by seebold »

Thanks Obo. A nice short list of important steps. I changed the IP-space and forgot the DNS. I checked your list and found the problem!!! A big thank you!

:D :D :D :D
The_Obo wrote:I used to have the same problem, but after a bit of surfing on this forum, I applied the following changes and not only got a huge speed increase (from about 10-20k, to 50-100k each) I also get many more seeds and many previous torrents that would not start now do:

instructions:

charlesramsay2011
New here

Re: Bittorrent Client never starts

Post by charlesramsay2011 »

I have the same concern regarding with my problem using my BitTorrent Client. Do you think changing different client could solve this? I was thinking to use this software https://download-free.com/bittorrent-client

Its not Bit Torrent but they seems to be quite the same. Please Help!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Most BT issues are network and configuration issues as shown in this thread. To some extend, ISP can block and/or throllte the BT bandwidth available, too. Trying many different BT clients does not change much - unless the torrents are rferencing to (public or private) trackes not accepting each and every client.
Diesel9a1
Starting out

Post by Diesel9a1 »

uTorrent work perfectly from my personal computer but I cannot get this flippin BT to work on the NAS.
Windows 7
QNAP NAS TS-209 II Pro
2 x Barracuda ES.2 SATA 3.0-Gb/s 1TB
Version 3.3.0 Build 0924T
Diesel9a1
Starting out

Post by Diesel9a1 »

Bit Torrent download station works!!!!!!

Whilst searching to get the DDNS working and Succeded! I found the Download Station worked as well!!!!

Obviously ensure your port forwarding is set on the router, and in addition, view this post of mine:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 16#p248716

WORKS!!! :D

In fact, EVERYTHING chuffin works!!!! Even the "Home / Applications / QPKG Plugins / Get QPKG RSS feed" That has never worked before!!
Windows 7
QNAP NAS TS-209 II Pro
2 x Barracuda ES.2 SATA 3.0-Gb/s 1TB
Version 3.3.0 Build 0924T
scuzzraver
New here

Post by scuzzraver »

QNAP TS-109 turbo
uTorrent work perfectly from my personal computer but I cannot get BT to work on the NAS box

things i have done:

change port range from 6881-6991 to 16881-16991on nas box
setup port range forwarding on my router and diasabled upnp on both my router and on the nas box
setup ddns on nas, router with dyndns server
c hanged dns on nas to
1. google public dns 8.8.8.8
2. vm dns server 192.168.4.100
routers dns changed as well
DNS1: 8.8.8.8 google dns
DNS2: 208.67.222.222 opendns
DNS3: 192.168.4.100 Virginmedia isp dns

i can see 2 of the ports are open 16881 n 16882 rest of them are either closed or filted think this is why im having a problem with the dl station built in bt client am unshore any sussgestions as the
torrent am tryin to download is active as i tried with utorrent and downloads ok
any other sussegtions would be appreciated thanks

edited
ok fixed my issue
doing the port check
i then changed the port range in the bt client on nas box to only use those 2 ports for example 16881-16882 were the only 2 ports that were visable so in bt client set config page i changed the port range to only use 16881-16882
now the torrents are downloading amazingly quicker than utorrent winner
tip to people who are having this issue use a website like open port range tester which can be found by googling it, type in the port range you wish to test then set the port range to those that is open like i did above
[Qnap TS-209 ver3.3.2 build 0918T, Qraid Stripe 2x 1TB Seagate Barracude,QPKGs Joomla, PHPmyadmin, Optware, Transmission-latest, Xdove, MLDonkey, nzbget, SSBnzbdplus, Twonkeymedia latest]
googok
New here

Post by googok »

Thank you for your post. Mine is working now.

Return to “Download Station and QGet”