Intel 10 Gbit Ethernet card - X540-T2

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
thecore
Getting the hang of things

Intel 10 Gbit Ethernet card - X540-T2

Post by thecore »

Hello all,

I want to add a 10 Gbit Eth card to TS-879Pro, the eth model is Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X540-T2, does this model support for QNAP TS-x79 series. I check it`s still not listed in QNAP compatibility list, AFAIK x520-T2 will be replaced with X540-T2.

Also, what is the default accessories that bundled for TS-879 Pro, especially for bracket expansion card, I only get two brackets : bracket C and D, both of them cannot be used with above Intel 10 Gbit cards.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
thecore
schumaku
Guru

Re: Intel 10 Gbit Ethernet card - X540-T2

Post by schumaku »

thecore wrote:I want to add a 10 Gbit Eth card to TS-879Pro, the eth model is Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X540-T2, does this model support for QNAP TS-x79 series. I check it`s still not listed in QNAP compatibility list, AFAIK x520-T2 will be replaced with X540-T2.
Probably true - but it's not supported yet.
thecore wrote:Also, what is the default accessories that bundled for TS-879 Pro, especially for bracket expansion card, I only get two brackets : bracket C and D, both of them cannot be used with above Intel 10 Gbit cards.
Not supported, no brackets, ... see above.
thecore

Post by thecore »

Dear Schumaku,

Thanks for your hint.

Best Regards,
Thecore
peste
New here

Post by peste »

We added a X520-T2 (Copper) about a few days ago, there was also no bracket - so we build one :) I was happy to get an X520 from Dell - all other market is waiting for the x540. Therefore my 879 has this strange reboot bug - happens once.
thecore

Post by thecore »

Hi Peste,

I would like to know, after you plugged in the card, did the NAS automatically recognize the card. Is there any other problem besides reboot issue so far.

Best Regards,
Thecore
gpunktschmitz
New here

Post by gpunktschmitz »

hi!
i asked qnap for a statement with the X540-T2 card .. but as the answer did not result in something like "yeah, you know, it works .. but it's not yet officially supported" but in a link to the compatibility list (http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=4061 where the card is still not listed) i decided to simply buy two of these cards and test them ... i did tell the vendor that i would test one card first and if it does not work (in the QNAP) i would send the second one back and order a X520-T2 (and wait one month due to delivery bottleneck) ... i would then have used the X540-T2 in the computer connected to the QNAP and the X520-T2 in the QNAP ...

so a couple of weeks ago i did the following:
-install one X540-T2 card in the TS-879U-RP (Firmware 3.7.2 Build 20120719) and connected both ports with each other (as of gigabit standard no more cross cables are needed as the ports figure it out themselves)
-the admin interface then showed "10 GBit" next to the card .. so it seemed to work just as wanted
-installed the other card in the computer
-configured both to trunks
-set up a private ip address on both trunks (192.168.1.XXX) as they are direct attached and then also won't interfere with the LAN network

since then the system is running without any problems and is connected via iSCSI to the computer ...

so to answer the questions from the previous replies:
-yes the card was automatically recognized
-no unwanted reboots so far ...

hope this helps somebody ...

KR
guennie
gmike
New here

Post by gmike »

I just installed a x540-T2 in my TS-879 Pro. Works perfectly. I had to use a dremel to increase the size of the included bracket, but once that was done, there were no issues.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

gmike wrote:I just installed a x540-T2 in my TS-879 Pro. Works perfectly.
Just for the reference - using which firmware?
gpunktschmitz
New here

Post by gpunktschmitz »

for the record: the card was not recognized with firmware version 3.8.x to 4.0.x

i just updated to version 4.1.0 and the card was recognized again

KR
Guenther

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”