Cannot connect to QNAP TS-410 shares or admin page

Windows Access Rights Management
AirtjE
New here

Cannot connect to QNAP TS-410 shares or admin page

Post by AirtjE »

I've got a QNAP TS-410 NAS and have several computers connected to it without any problem for over a year already. Just a couple of days ago I bought a new computer:
  • ASRock B75M-ITX mainboard
  • On-board Realtek 8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
  • Samsung 256 GB SSD
  • Windows 7 x64 either professional or enterprise edition
I did a clean installation with Windows 7 x64 English with and another try without SP1. I installed the network drivers that were included with the mainboard, but later also downloaded the latest version from the ASRock website. In any case I am unable to connect to my shares on the NAS. I cannot connect to the admin page as well but can ping and can telnet/SSH to my QNAP.
  • Ping <1 ms as always, both using hostname and IP-address
  • I can connect to telnet, SSH both using hostname and IP-address
  • I can browse to the root of my NAS with windows explorer using both hostname and IP-address, but cannot connect to any of the actual shares. It times out and gives me an error: "\\xxx\Public is not accessible. You might not have the permission to use this network resource. The specified network resource is no longer available." No error messages found in the Windows eventlog (system, security or application).
  • I can make an initial connection to the admin website: http://xxx:8080, however a page is not displayed, it keeps loading until it times out. I can see the URL changing into something like https://xxx:8080/redirect.html?count=0.9213176814979035
  • When I get those errors on this computer, I am able to connect to it from any other computer (laptop, desktop, using Windows XP or Windows 7) and even from my Xtreamer Mediaplayer
  • I have tried to use a different network cable, one that has worked with other computers. Hence, its even connected to the same switch. Tried to directly connect it up to the NAS. I'm sure its not networkcable/switch related.
  • With this computer that I cannot connect to the NAS, I can succesfully connect to the internet and any other Windows share on the network (eg. other computers).
  • All computers are stand-alone. Usernames have been re-set and made same on both NAS as this computer.
  • I've re-installed Windows 7 for a second time already, using a different version as well.
I'm running out of ideas so I was hoping someone knows this and can help me out. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

AirtjE
Last edited by AirtjE on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Cannot connect to QNAP TS-410 shares or admin page

Post by schumaku »

Any port trunking in the game, ie. both NAS LAN ports connected to the switch/router - if yes, what configuration of the ports on bot ends?
AirtjE
New here

Post by AirtjE »

Nope, no port trunking. The QNAP is connected with a single port/cable to the switch, the very same switch as some other computers who are able to connect to the NAS without any problems.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Doubel and tripple check the subnet masks settings on the PC and the NAS - just in case.

Was the PC LAN IP locked out by security earlier? the Web redirect is - most likley - coming from the browser cache. Not very logical I must admit, as you state the PC is able to browse the NAS shares.
AirtjE
New here

Post by AirtjE »

Subnetmasks are the same, they're all set from the DHCP server from the LAN, with pre-defined reserved leases. But also tried manually.
I'm not able to really browse through the shares themselves, only the root of the NAS.

I doubt whether it could be a browser cache issue, since its a newly installed computer with Windows 7 (and wiped and reinstalled it again). So its cache was empty anyway. . .
AirtjE
New here

Post by AirtjE »

QNAP Finder finds the NAP, type, version of firmware and saying its up-to-date. Can see the network settings which are OK. When I try to connect, it opens up a browser and the same thing happens: it sits there until it times out eventually.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

QNAP Finder is just using broadcast to locate the NAS (and IP) on the same LAN. The browser or Microsoft File Sharing clients (ie. WIndows) are connecting in the same way.

I'm somewhat concenred about your reported failure of applying service binding. This should work as soon as all the network interface are up IMHO.

What firmware version do oyu have in place?
Would you mind to post the content of

[~] # cat /etc/config/service_binding.conf

Suspect your NAS config file is messed-up somehow.
AirtjE
New here

Post by AirtjE »

I've been waiting for some extra test before I replied. Today I received my tiny WiFi-N dongle and installed it. Disabled my on-board LAN card, got an IP-lease of the WiFi adapter which is connected to my router, which in turn needs to go to the switch and then has the connection to the NAS. I could ping it, I could reach the admin page and I could connect to the shares on that computer.

Disabled the WiFi card, enabled the LAN adapter. Refreshed IP-address and just in case, refreshed DNS cache as well.
Tried to connect to the QNAP admin page or the shares, failed. Could still access everything else @network and internet except the QNAP. Weird huh? :/
Will do some additional tests soon...
AirtjE
New here

Post by AirtjE »

Found it. Seems to be either a problem to the on-board card or its driver, but I have to set Jumbo Frames on disabled manually in order to get it working.
It's connected to a GBit switch which supports it and a router and the QNAP too. Other computers are using it as well but on this new one it seems to have problems with it. Ah well at least I found the problem :)

Thanks for the help anyway ;)

Return to “Windows”