The Mountain Lion thread

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
PharCyder
Know my way around

The Mountain Lion thread

Post by PharCyder »

Hi All,

Now that Mountain Lion is out in the wild, I though it would be a good idea for everyone to share their experiences with it in relation to their QNAP.

I'm running FW 3.7.1 and so far, AFP works out of the box for me (unlike with Lion). I haven't tried Time Machine yet.
mandril
New here

Re: The Mountain Lion thread

Post by mandril »

I had my problems with Time Machine Backup on my TS-412. It said "the backup volume is not available". This can be fixed by manually mounting the backup volume and then again choosing it in TM-Preferences.
PharCyder
Know my way around

Post by PharCyder »

Does this break access to existing AFP mounts?
Venz
Starting out

Post by Venz »

Just upgraded to OSX 10.8 today and lost any contact with my TS-210 via AFP. No joy with Time Machine too. Any help is welcome! :(
Sven Scheffers Photography

www.svenscheffers.com
jabbba
Starting out

Post by jabbba »

No issues seeing my shares and everything seems to be working. Printing is fine. TimeMachine takes forever to backup though. Not sure why, but definitely something going on, probably another change in protocol...
sisterray
Starting out

Post by sisterray »

mandril wrote:I had my problems with Time Machine Backup on my TS-412. It said "the backup volume is not available". This can be fixed by manually mounting the backup volume and then again choosing it in TM-Preferences.
I have the same problem, how did you mount it manually?
YEMONDO
Starting out

Post by YEMONDO »

Having same/similar issue here I think...

I installed Mountain Lion on Thursday night and got an error message saying a new backup was needed etc. As such I started to backup y/day morning but had to interrupt it last night as Mail wasn't working and I wanted to re-boot to see if that helped... It did but ever since I've been unable to continue with the Time Machine backup.

I removed the sparsebundle and decided to start over - however I'm now unable to connect and get the message 'Time Machine couldn't complete the backup to "PYSERVER -2". The backup disk is not available.' ; the interesting thing here is that it has added the '-2' to the name of my QNAP TS-210 server and I'm not sure if this is the cause of the issue (and therefore how to stop it happening) or if this was always the case but I'm only now noticing it due to the problems.

When I try again and go into Time Machine preferences & select disk the option is TMBackup on "PYSERVER(TimeMachine)" - however when I select this I still get the "PYSERVER -2" related error.

Am now contemplating a full restore on the QNAP but don't want to go to the effort of doing this if there is a simpler solution. Any thoughts/suggestions/observations very welcome & gratefully received.

Thank you.

PY
PharCyder
Know my way around

Post by PharCyder »

Try this:

Go into Time Machine config in System Preferences, right click on the Disk and select Remote Back Disk.

Set up my Time Machine disk again on the QNAP, get the Backup error. Right click the disk again and select Back Up Now and it starts working.

Odd.
YEMONDO
Starting out

Post by YEMONDO »

Not sure I'm following this last bit of advice properly - I go into Time Machine within System Preferences but right clicking on the disk doesn't bring up any options at all; am I doing something wrong possibly?
Cheers
YEMONDO
Starting out

Post by YEMONDO »

Still having the same problem and unfortunately wasn't able to perform the recommended tip from PharCyder...

In Time Machine preferences I can see the right backup disk (TMBackup on "PYSERVER(TimeMachine)" but when I select it, and am then asked for the password, the server is referred to as "PYSERVER-2.local" and not PYSERVER - I'm not sure if this is usual (i.e. the addition of the -2.local suffix) and I've just not noticed it in the past or if this is causing the problem?

I'm able to successfully enter the correct password at this stage but when I close the window down (to avoid having to wait for the countdown) I get the following error message:

'Time Machine couldn't complete the backup to "PYSERVER -2". The backup disk is not available.'

I've now tried the following but to no avail:

- Turned off the Time Machine support within the NAS admin & re-started
- Fully rebooted the NAS
- Restarted the MacBook
- Full reset of TimeMachine (removing file from Library)

I'm now at a complete loss what to do and very concerned that I do not have a backup of any type right now.

Any help/advice/observations will be gratefully received.

PY
PharCyder
Know my way around

Post by PharCyder »

YEMONDO wrote:Not sure I'm following this last bit of advice properly - I go into Time Machine within System Preferences but right clicking on the disk doesn't bring up any options at all; am I doing something wrong possibly?
Cheers
You should see this when you right click on the disk icon:

YEMONDO
Starting out

Post by YEMONDO »

Thanks for that - I hadn't completely understood and didn't realise I needed to right click on the icon of the disk itself... Anyway it appears (FINGERS CROSSED) that this is working now. As you say...ODD!
ash9nine
New here

Post by ash9nine »

Hi, all I have installed Mountain Lion few days ago and since then when searching my NAS in finder lags. I do one thing and it takes a minute to complete the task (e.g. Delete a shortcut I accidently put there). In Lion 10.7 there was no issue with lagging. Is anyone else having the same issue or does anyone have any suggestions.

I forgot to mention I have a MAC Mini which I only use as media centre or sometimes to surf. I also have a Asus Notebook running Windows 7. In Windows 7 I have no issues with Lagging or anything else.

Thanks,
Ash
PharCyder
Know my way around

Post by PharCyder »

On my 4 ML Macs, I noticed the first time I access AFP mounts was things were a little sluggish - subsequent access was much faster. I would imagine the ML is caching folder contents, icons, and other file system metadata.....none of this caching is likely to help with file deletes though.

Are you using AFP or SMB from your MacMini?
ash9nine
New here

Post by ash9nine »

Hi PharCyder, I am using AFP. You are correct it was the caching of folder contents. :) It is running faster now.

I have a new issue. My Scheduling of Time Machine is not working. It keeps on saying TMBackup disk cant be found. The funning thing is when I go into Settings>Time Machine and manually request a backup it works.

I might be in the wrong thread for this king of issues. I apologise in advance.

Thanks,
Ash

Return to “Mac OS”