Read QNAP ext4 disk from Windows box

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Post Reply
MrQRAID
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:40 am
Location: YYZ

Read QNAP ext4 disk from Windows box

Post by MrQRAID » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:19 am

My first post on this forum!

I pulled QNAP disk out of powered off TS-119P II, placed it in external enclosure and attached it using eSATA to Windows Vista computer. Using latest Ext2FSD I can read files on ext3 HDA_ROOT partition but I can't read any files on ext4 HDA_DATA partition of that disk. Once disk is back in QNAP, all files are there. Any suggestions on how to read ext4 Data partition files from Windows box are welcome!

More info on configs: NAS TS-119P II, Firmware 3.7.3 Build 20120801 (latest), write cache enabled, hard disk Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001, Windows Vista Enterprise SP2 32bit, used latest version of both Ext2FSD (read-only, service started) and ext2read.

Thank you!

User avatar
pwilson
Guru
Posts: 22569
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada (UTC-08:00)

Re: Read QNAP ext4 disk from Windows box

Post by pwilson » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:36 am

MrQRAID wrote:My first post on this forum!

I pulled QNAP disk out of powered off TS-119P II, placed it in external enclosure and attached it using eSATA to Windows Vista computer. Using latest Ext2FSD I can read files on ext3 HDA_ROOT partition but I can't read any files on ext4 HDA_DATA partition of that disk. Once disk is back in QNAP, all files are there. Any suggestions on how to read ext4 Data partition files from Windows box are welcome!

More info on configs: NAS TS-119P II, Firmware 3.7.3 Build 20120801 (latest), write cache enabled, hard disk Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001, Windows Vista Enterprise SP2 32bit, used latest version of both Ext2FSD (read-only, service started) and ext2read.

Thank you!


I don't believe anyone has released an Ext4 Filesystem driver for Windows yet.

Can't you copy file off it across your network via normal Windows networking protocols, or via USB/eSATA to an external NTFS-formatted drive, and then plug that into your Windows box?

If you are experiencing issues with your Drive, you might want to upgrade the drives firmware. Check out: Seagate Barracuda Firmware Update to see if your drive would benefit from such an upgrade. QNAP recommends doing the upgrade, if you check the QNAP 3.5" HDD Compatibility List, especially Note16, which applies to your drive.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

MrQRAID
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:40 am
Location: YYZ

Re: Read QNAP ext4 disk from Windows box

Post by MrQRAID » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Patrick,

Thank you for quick reply! Based on notes from ext2fsd web site, Ext2fsd ver 0.51 (latest) does support reading ext4 with following exceptions:

1, journal: log-based operations, external journal
2, extent: size truncating & expanding, file deletion
3, EA (extended attributes), ACL support

Now I am not sure yet if any of those 3 unsupported features are applicable to ext4 filesystem used on QNAP Data partition. I am not even sure if QNAP's ext4 implementation is the same as on Linux or is it proprietary in any way, but I hope it's not.

As for why I can't copy files over the network - well I can but that's not the point. I want to access Data partition directly from Windows computer in case my QNAP motherboard dies. Yes, I know that disk is way more likely to go away first (so I have QRAID1 to external drive, also ext4) but motherboards can die too. In that case I want to have access to my files from Data partition without waiting for new QNAP to arrive.

I will check Seagate disk firmware, but it seems unlikely that would be the root cause in this case as only ext2fsd access is affected.

I hope other users had success accessing ext4 Data partition from Windows computer and would like to learn what they did to make it work.

User avatar
pwilson
Guru
Posts: 22569
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada (UTC-08:00)

Re: Read QNAP ext4 disk from Windows box

Post by pwilson » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:24 pm

MrQRAID wrote:I want to access Data partition directly from Windows computer in case my QNAP motherboard dies. Yes, I know that disk is way more likely to go away first (so I have QRAID1 to external drive, also ext4) but motherboards can die too. In that case I want to have access to my files from Data partition without waiting for new QNAP to arrive.


Why not simply boot the PC with an Ubuntu-LiveCD, and use that read the disk. You could then use the LiveCD to copy files from the X-QNAP drive directly to your Windows partition. Remove the LiveCD and reboot back into Windows, and examine the files you just copied off the X-QNAP drive.

Pretty simple solution when you only have a SingleDrive Volume to access. It gets a lot uglier when you want to it to a X-QNAP-RAID-array. But your situation is only a single drive so it is pretty straight forward to deal with. Your HDA_DATA will probably be the 3rd partition on the drive when you access it from Ubuntu.

This solution would use your Windows "machine", but would do so by temporarily booting into Ubuntu in order to complete the copy, and then booting back into Windows to view the recently restored files.

MrQRAID wrote:I will check Seagate disk firmware, but it seems unlikely that would be the root cause in this case as only ext2fsd access is affected.


You are correct. It is unrelated. It is however recommended by both Seagate and QNAP.

MrQRAID wrote:I hope other users had success accessing ext4 Data partition from Windows computer and would like to learn what they did to make it work.


That is highly unlikely with free solutions. Try the Ubuntu LiveCD solution, it isn't difficult. Simply download it, burn it to a DVD, and then boot to it. Easy.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Post Reply

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”