Accessing your QNAP with an Android phone

iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android
luuh71
New here

Re: Accessing your QNAP with an Android phone

Post by luuh71 »

Hi community,
in a last attempt I would like to ask for help on a subject that I am struggeling a long time with without finding any solution.
I searched for this issue for a long time on the internet but could never find any solution. Not even a hint on wether others do have the same issue and could resolve it somehow. Here is what the situation is like:

I am using the QNAP NAS TS-101, fixed IP, connected with cable to my wlan-router (AVM FritzBox 7570) with fixed IP running a DHCP service (to let guest devices have the possibility to use my network).

I have a few DLNA/UPnP enabled devices in my network (Syabas Popcorn Player A-100) that are connected to the router via cable - all fix IP's.
To provide all media information stored on the NAS to all the connected clients, I activated Twonkey on the NAS.

Media files on the NAS are stored in their respective folders/shares "music", "pictures" and "video".

Clients are able to connect to the Twonkey and access the stored media files.

Except from my android device! It is a Samsung Galaxy S2 with unmodified ICS installed.
Since I have the android device I am trying to access the NAS shares with several android tools (ES File Explorer/AntTek Explorer/Astro etc).
Scanning the network it finds the NAS but trying to access it does always (!) asks about the login.
In the beginning I had no special login setup on the NAS. Meanwhile I tried everything and still have no success.
Nothing works, neither anonymous, nor special users setup on the shares.
I played around with the syntax of the server information and tried hopefully everything e.g. with and without \\ or with smb:// with IP or name of the server, with or without the naming of the share (depending of the android application offering a special field for it or requesting it to have it along with the servername).
It simply does not let my access the root of the NAS!
Unfortunately it also does not accept naming the desired share.

Is there anybody having the same issue and was able to solve it?

Actually I do have two more related issues with that that I just would like to name. Maybe somebody has hints on them.

I have a external SATA Disc connected to that same NAS that automatically offers a system share named "eSATA Disk 1". I am Also not able to access that share with android.

By the way, accessing these mentioned shares via my pc running WindowsXP is possible. It is just the android device.

I am not sure wether I forgot any interesting or needful information but I would be adding them if neccessary.

I was hoping that I can find somebody here with the same hardware or with I deep understanding of the processes.

Is there somebody that might want to help?
Thanks
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

To access file shares on a NAS, you need to enable Samba, NFS or whatever. DLNA is not for browsing files, but for streaming media to DLNA-compliant devices. Not really sure what are you trying to do here, despite the length of the description.

See QMobile. No idea whether it will work at all with your EOL-ed NAS - QMobile is applicable to QNAP NAS running firmware version 3.3.4 or later.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
luuh71
New here

Post by luuh71 »

Thanks for the quick answer @doktornotor.

Samba ist enabled. I am accessing root directory from all WinXP pcs system fine. Only android wont.
What I am trying to do: I would like to be able to browse the folder/files of my NAS via Android a s I can with WinXP.
QMobile unfortunately is not running with that very early model of the QNAP NAS TS 101 :-(
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

What root directory? You share / by SMB? :shock:
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
luuh71
New here

Post by luuh71 »

well I gues not that much root as you think.
It probably is something like a shares-level.
If i access the IP of the NAS via Windows-Explorer like \\192.168.1.3, it gives me a overview of system shares (qmultimedia, qdownload, public etc) and some custom made shares like "software", test etc.
I would like to be able to browse this same strucutre via Android.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Once again:
Scanning the network it finds the NAS but trying to access it does always (!) asks about the login.
Without providing (and storing) the credentials in the client on the Android device, you obviously will always be prompted for credentials and denied access without providing them.

Download File Expert, run it, go to My Tools - Network Clients - Windows/Samba Sharing - Create New Account - input QNAP IP (or FQDN), enter your username and password, put something descriptive in Nickname, e.g., QNAP TS 101, tap on OK. Now you can connect and browse shares that are accessible by the username you have put in just a few steps before.
luuh71
New here

Post by luuh71 »

enter your username and password,
These shares have no special username and password. However, if I set a username and password for them, android (whatever application) does not accept them. But I only setup a username/password because somebody else told me to try to set up credentials.
Besides that, if I just put the IP in the adress bar of my WinXP explorer, it opens up the NAS directory without any usernam or password!
I really do not know what login credentials I should take when my favorite android explorer "ES File explorer" tell me login denied and asks me wether I want to enter diferent username/password.
I applied full access to all available users and groups (!) (even guests and everyone) from within the qnap administration front-end software. It was a step to find out if it has anything to do with these access rights setting.
I even tried to put in the crendentials that I use to open up that administration software - that is actually a web-front end.
Nothing seem to work.

It most obviously is a matter of correct credentials (username/password) BUT I do not know what credentials AND why I do not have to input credentials when accessing via WinXP!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Either all shares are set for Public (guest read+write), the Windows XP system has storwd cdentials for the NAS in the creentials tore, or the WIndows XP username and password are used automatically.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

luuh71 wrote: It most obviously is a matter of correct credentials (username/password) BUT I do not know what credentials AND why I do not have to input credentials when accessing via WinXP!
Since Android obviously has absolutely no Windows credentials and workgroup/domain environment awareness, it will supply nothing (not even guest credentials) to the server in itself. So, either

- you have guest access enabled everywhere and the applications are you using fails to do something like

Code: Select all

intent.putExtra("smb_username", "guest");
- or the shares are simply NOT public (guest enabled) - in that case If credentials are not provided but required then you will get prompted for login and password. File Expert is capable of browsing public shares just fine. If it does not work for you, then see the post above.

Finally - kindly configure the username and password and stop wasting time with nonsense.
luuh71
New here

Post by luuh71 »

@shumaku: can I empty the WinXP credentials store AND if YES, where is it located or how do I do it?
Windows username/password: I think I remember somebody else stating the same idea. Unfortunately I boot into windows without any password login - therefore I do not know what credentials to use

@Doktornotor: I appreciate your help, but as I said before "I setup a username/password and it still would not accept these credentials when trying to access with android file brwosing apps.

Believe me, I tried to make it as simple as possible: created a new share named "test", created a user named "test" with password "test",established full access for user "test" on share "test".
Then I started File Explorer on android, LAN tab, new server, network path: 192.168.1.3/test , username: test, password: test and it won't let me in!
Code: Select all
intent.putExtra("smb_username", "guest");
I do not understand where to put in that code!

I guess I am doing everything else but wasting time with nonsense.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

luuh71 wrote: I do not understand where to put in that code!
You do not put it anywhere unless you are writing your own Android application.

Have you actually tested this with admin credentials? Have you actually tested this with the application that I have suggested? Going in circles here. Finally, for troubles with Android, obviously seeking help on Android forums makes much more sense.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Dunno how good TS-101 is when it comes to SMB compatibility - we never know. Pretty old beast.

I oyu had added credentials (username and password) to access the NAS share(s), XP shozuld have aske you, too. Or are the shares set for Guest rad+write access?

We relly need more information.
luuh71
New here

Post by luuh71 »

@doktornotor: I will try it with File Expert eventhough I am not quiet sure what credentials to put in, but I will play around a bit. And when you say AdminCredentials well: I used the admin credentials to open up the administration website to access the NAS configuration. Did not work. I used all available credentials regarding any user access setup within the NAS config setup. Meanwhile I actually tried any usercredentials I ever used or could have possible used within my network - still it does not work!
@schumaku: Yes it is an old system. That's why I stated in the beginning that this might be the last attempt to get help on this. I probably have to bury that topic unless I do have other hardware.
I was just hoping that somebody might have the same issue with the same hardware and might be able to help.

Thanks anyway!
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

luuh71 wrote:@doktornotor: I will try it with File Expert eventhough I am not quiet sure what credentials to put in, but I will play around a bit.
You put either none and try whether anonymous browsing works (you do NOT create any account there for this, kindly navigate the GUI to see), or you use the admin ones. Again, anonymous browsing works just fine with that application provided that guest access is enabled in Samba.

Finally, considering that your credentials do not seem to work no matter what and no matter which service you are trying to use (such as " I used the admin credentials to open up the administration website to access the NAS configuration. Did not work."), you might consider that your phone is severely messed up or you simply keep mistyping the credentials all the time.
markgibbs
New here

Post by markgibbs »

Hi! I badly needed help for accessing QNAP on my smartphone. Thank you for your perfect explanation! :D

Return to “Mobile Devices”