loss of data - tool for disaster recovery? data recovery?

Discussion on remote replication.
George
Starting out

loss of data - tool for disaster recovery? data recovery?

Post by George »

Hi there,

I pressed the 'reset' button yesterday and was not aware that when doing so, all my data would be lost. I am connecting to my Qnap 209Pro from a Mac. Now, all my data is gone. So, I would like to have a tool running that scans for deleted data.

Is that possible? Is there a tool / software to do so?
how do I know which Linux version Firmware 2.0.1 uses?
Linux, kernel 2.6.x, tar.bz2
Linux, kernel 2.4.x, tar.bz2
Linux i386 RPM
Linux SRPM?
how to boot up from a USB? how much space is needed on a USB?

e.g., http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manu ... _USB-stick says

.... Of course, you need a computer that supports USB, with almost a free USB socket. You BIOS must be able to boot on USB hard disks, and it must be defined before other devices in the boot devices order.

Is the Qnap 209Pro bootable from a USB? what are the steps until reboot regularly?

After my loss of data, I won't try out anything unknown now.

Has anybody experience with any of these tools like starting up from a USB? I really have no clue how to do this but one thing is sure, my data is lost and I am at panic. Look at this site:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/tools.htm

check out Linux data recovery tools.

Your urgent help is very much appreciated.

Also, for future versions I think the reset button should contain a reconfirmation button that says that the user is aware that not only system rights are reset but that entire data is going to be lost.

thanks,
George
QNAPJames
QNAP Staff

Re: loss of data - tool for disaster recovery? data recovery?

Post by QNAPJames »

Hi George,

Please refer to the following link.
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1921

Basically, "RESET" will only erase the settings, not data. If you have difficulties regarding data loss/recovery, please feel free to contact our tech. support and ask for online help directly.
George wrote:Hi there,

I pressed the 'reset' button yesterday and was not aware that when doing so, all my data would be lost. I am connecting to my Qnap 209Pro from a Mac. Now, all my data is gone. So, I would like to have a tool running that scans for deleted data.
NAS: QNAP TS-464T4 Special Edition + Seagate IronWolf 125 3.84TB SATA SSD * 4 (RAID5)
Backup: QNAP TR-002 + Seagate IronWolf 10TB SATA HDD *2 (RAID0)
Networking: QNAP QSW-1108-8T 2.5GbE Network Switch
George
Starting out

Post by George »

Hi James,

thanks for your response. I contacted the technical team but was told that they cannot do anything. So, the instruction about the RESET button that users are given by Qnap is incorrect and the response by the technical team is disappointing. On my drive was a site that I had been working on for a couple of months. All gone just because I don't have a backup of my backup. Also, original publications that I made in some journals are also all gone. Tech staff cannot help.

George
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Hi James

Very frustrating to have lost the data.

But the reset button still does NOT erase the discs. I have no idea what has happened, and I have no idea why support wasn't able to help you. But it sounds like you've lost the config, and not the data.

The reset button is a warm reset only.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
kwokwing
New here

Post by kwokwing »

fribse wrote:Hi James

Very frustrating to have lost the data.

But the reset button still does NOT erase the discs. I have no idea what has happened, and I have no idea why support wasn't able to help you. But it sounds like you've lost the config, and not the data.

The reset button is a warm reset only.
How can I get those data back? plugin into a linux to system?
lordeath
New here

Post by lordeath »

I think that the safest way to recover your data is using knoppix or any other linux livecd:
Poweroff your NAS, unplug each hard drive and make a copy with DD to another disk or an image. Do the same for the second HD.
Be carefull about order of Disks and build same raid on your linux (Raid 0 ,1, 5). Then Mount it.
Now you can use your favourite copy tool to copy your data.
kwokwing
New here

Post by kwokwing »

lordeath wrote:I think that the safest way to recover your data is using knoppix or any other linux livecd:
Poweroff your NAS, unplug each hard drive and make a copy with DD to another disk or an image. Do the same for the second HD.
Be carefull about order of Disks and build same raid on your linux (Raid 0 ,1, 5). Then Mount it.
Now you can use your favourite copy tool to copy your data.

I tried it , but the thing is I can see those folders in the harddrive , but there is no contants inside, do you have any recommandation for me?

thanks

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”