TS-659 Pro Ram Upgrade

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
cav
Starting out

Re: TS-659 Pro II Memory upgrade

Post by cav »

neko wrote:I can also CONFIRM that 8 "chip" 1Rx8 ddr3 2GB memory module DOES work.

I'm using (2 x 2GB memory modules) on my TS-459 Pro II
This is a good find, today I performed the same upgrade on my TS-439 Pro II+. I replaced the original ADATA 1GB memory to a single Hynix 2GB memory.
szhjcn
Getting the hang of things

Post by szhjcn »

P3R wrote:
szhjcn wrote:What I wanted to know is if there is any performance advantage. I know the upgrade is cheap, but what is the improvement with more memory?
Unless so much memory is used that the unit is forced into swapping, I tend to believe the improvement is much less than most people expect.
Shame there is no 859 Pro II otherwise I'd go for that.
There is a TS-869 with slightly faster CPU and very similar specifications. General availability may however still be an issue due to component shortage.
'
I went for the TS-869 Pro in the end and bought the Kingston 2Gb RAM x2. Both installed and working. The 'glue' comes off very easily.

All up and running with data Rsysnc'd over. Have just 4 x 3TB drives installed at the moment but may add another as I only have 1TB free, or add two and change to RAID 6 (instead of 5).

Watching the Memory usage on several occasion with many copies/transfers and other jobs running Memory was barely used. For the 10chf per module I think it was worth upgrading the memory, but would NOT buy the QNAP memory at around 100chf more (1chf ~= 1 USD).

Time to start scanning and storing my tons of paperwork now and sorting out pictures and videos from Holidays...... oooh fun
picassopc

Post by picassopc »

If anyone cares, I upgraded my TS-469 Pro to 8GB by replacing the original 1GB ADATA w/4GB Crucial DIMMS and adding another 4GB on the back plane.
LarsN
Experience counts

Post by LarsN »

Just a note for anyone planning on using the HD Station with the x69-series, if you add more than 3GB, it won't work. This is an Intel driver limitation and not something we can solve.
At least it's good to know that 8GB otherwise works just fine.
It might also be a good idea to start a Wiki page with compatible modules listed in it, as I think it would be a useful resource for many of you.
Dwaine

Post by Dwaine »

picassopc wrote:If anyone cares, I upgraded my TS-469 Pro to 8GB by replacing the original 1GB ADATA w/4GB Crucial DIMMS and adding another 4GB on the back plane.
Wow..... Has anyone else tried to install up to 8gigs? I thought the chipset for the TS-469 Pro limited the system to only 4gigs of memory?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Dwaine wrote:I thought the chipset for the TS-469 Pro limited the system to only 4gigs of memory?
That's what all of us thought until the reports about 8 GB working appeared in the forum.

A 4 GB limit is what's specified by Intel as well... :S
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
DarkLogix

Post by DarkLogix »

Dwaine wrote:
picassopc wrote:If anyone cares, I upgraded my TS-469 Pro to 8GB by replacing the original 1GB ADATA w/4GB Crucial DIMMS and adding another 4GB on the back plane.
Wow..... Has anyone else tried to install up to 8gigs? I thought the chipset for the TS-469 Pro limited the system to only 4gigs of memory?
Yes I upgraded to 8GB as posted in the x69 memory upgrade thread

though now with 3.8.2 Qnap will limit you to just under 3GB artificially

It'd be nice if they didn't do that and if someone with the skillz would look into editing the driver to make a proper video driver.

Personally I think it'd be sweet to have a 4gb iSCSI ram drive.
Dwaine

Post by Dwaine »

P3R wrote:
szhjcn wrote:What I wanted to know is if there is any performance advantage. I know the upgrade is cheap, but what is the improvement with more memory?
Unless so much memory is used that the unit is forced into swapping, I tend to believe the improvement is much less than most people expect.
Shame there is no 859 Pro II otherwise I'd go for that.
There is a TS-869 with slightly faster CPU and very similar specifications. General availability may however still be an issue due to component shortage.
'
Off topic...
I thought the sata interface could not really handle that many drives on the 869. So there was a performance hit for the sake of having additional storage capacity.

Geezzz, I can't even afford to fill the drive bays on the TS-869.
Dwaine
dynek
Experience counts

Post by dynek »

bstard wrote:Upgraded my new 439 Pro II+ with the forementioned Kingston 2G (KVR1333D3S8S9/2G) - worked like a charm! :-)
I'd be interested to know how you installed this memory inside TS-439 Pro II+ cause I bought one and it doesn't match at all ! :evil:
NapaAhma
New here

Post by NapaAhma »

I have a ts-569L and bought KVR1333D3S8S9/2G for it. System boots and starts normally but system information shows only 1gb total memory. Any idea what's going on / how to fix this?

EDIT:
Nevermind... apparently I'm just too stupid to make sure that ram is really locked in its place. On the other hand I'm glad to inform that KVR1333D3S8S9/2G works with TS-569L like a charm.
Last edited by NapaAhma on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

NapaAhma wrote:I have a ts-569L and bought KVR1333D3S8S9/2G for it. System boots and starts normally but system information shows only 1gb total memory. Any idea what's going on / how to fix this?
Sounds like it is not recognized. Is it installed properly? What does bios say on boot?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
thehedge
Starting out

TS-659 Pro Ram Upgrade

Post by thehedge »

Looking at the QNAP support pages, "officially" the TS-659 PRO (not PRO+) only supports a single RAM and only 1GB total. Yet the processor in it will support up to 4GB and some on the web have claimed to have upgraded their TS-659 PRO up to at least 2GB by swapping out the 1GB stick.

As I mentioned, I know the official answer is it can only use a 1GB RAM.
  • Has anyone on the forum successfully upgraded the RAM in their TS-659 PRO?
  • If yes, then what did you use?
  • How did it perform after the upgrade, i.e. was it worth it?
  • What are the benefits to upgrading, given that you can really only go to 2GB?
  • Are there any pitfalls or problems once you upgrade it?
Thanks.
P3R
Guru

Re: TS-659 Pro Ram Upgrade

Post by P3R »

thehedge wrote:Yet the processor in it will support up to 4GB and some on the web have claimed to have upgraded their TS-659 PRO up to at least 2GB by swapping out the 1GB stick.
Only 2 GB per physical memory slot is supported.
As I mentioned, I know the official answer is it can only use a 1GB RAM.
Yes all memory upgrades are unsupported by Qnap on that model.
What are the benefits to upgrading, given that you can really only go to 2GB?
Unless you're stressing the unit with as much concurrent applications that it is forced to swap memory to disk, I have a hard time understanding spending money on a memory upgrade especially since you're talking about a pretty old NAS (I said old, not useless so please don't be offended). Yes all additional memory will be used for caching but really, the performance difference will at best be barely noticeable. I never noticed any performance improvements when upgrading from 1 GB to 2 GB (I paid €3 incl. shipping) on a not overloaded unit, since I was only using the unit for normal storage operations and never did any benchmarking.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Sparkss

Post by Sparkss »

Just wanted to add a memory module that worked for our TS-659 Pro II

HYNIX Laptop Memory: HMT325S6BFR8C-H9 N0 AA 2GB DDR3 PC3-10600S
Price: $9.99 & FREE Shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1254875778
Qnap_memory.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Sparkss wrote:Just wanted to add a memory module that worked for our TS-659 Pro II

HYNIX Laptop Memory: HMT325S6BFR8C-H9 N0 AA 2GB DDR3 PC3-10600S
Price: $9.99 & FREE Shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1254875778
Qnap_memory.jpg
ty for sharing :mrgreen:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”