RSYNC to Remote NAS - Unable to Display Destination Director

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
wzbtqv
Starting out

RSYNC to Remote NAS - Unable to Display Destination Director

Post by wzbtqv »

With the enhancements made after firmware past 3.8.1 (i.e. in both 3.8.2 and 4.0.1 as I'm running one QNAP with each firmware version right now) I have been unable to manually enter or edit the destination directory for a RSYNC job. In reviewing this post http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?p=334904, it appears this is a software design change to ensure the users pick valid target directories.

My backup target NAS units are older Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ units. On the QNAP, when I enter (or edit) a RSYNC backup job, I can select the source direction on the QNAP fine, but when I select the drop down list for the destination, it says connecting for a minute, then comes back with an empty list. I have tried changing security settings on the ReadyNAS up to an including removing the userID/PW and granting everyone Read/Write access to the target directory, but nothing ever populates in the target list -- meaning I can't setup a job or make changes to an existing job.

Older jobs continue to operate fine between both my QNAPs and the 4 ReadyNAS Backup units -- as long as I don't need changes. So this is a problem unique to the QNAP interface.

Is there a way to manually edit the RSYNC job without using the Backup Station interface as a work around? Or can we get the User Interface on the QNAP changed to allow us to manually enter a backup path again? Any other suggestions other than changing back to firmware 3.8.1??
msn
First post

Re: RSYNC to Remote NAS - Unable to Display Destination Dire

Post by msn »

I second that question. I have more or less the same problem that i can not reach my ftp directory from my provider. Before i could.
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

I use RTRR w/FTP to access my Ultra 2+. You have to play around with the FTP values on the NetGear. I forgot exactly how I did it, but afterwards you will have access to any Shares or subdirectories and you'll get a little speed bump too.
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
Wollis
New here

Post by Wollis »

Had the same problem (QNAP-NAS -> QNAP-NAS)... Couldn't get it working whatever I tried. Didn't resort to any hacking, but in a moment of desperation I activated Rsync server on the client side. This solved the problem - suddenly all subfolders were available in the remote replication job window. Even worked after turning Rsync server back off.

Hope this works for you too. If so, it would seem to me that this is an evident programming error that should be corrected.

Posted this in the other thread as well.

EDIT: Rsync has to be permanently activated on client....
Last edited by Wollis on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

wzbtqv wrote:With the enhancements made after firmware past 3.8.1 (i.e. in both 3.8.2 and 4.0.1 as I'm running one QNAP with each firmware version right now) I have been unable to manually enter or edit the destination directory for a RSYNC job.
Can't speak for older ReadyNAS - works nicely with rsync from QTS 4.0.x to ReadyNAS 516 6.0.8:
QTS4_rsync_to_RN516_608.PNG
In reviewing this post http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?p=334904, it appears this is a software design change to ensure the users pick valid target directories
P3R wrote:You shouldn't write the destination, you should select it by double-clicking on it.

Yes, this is a change. In the previous user interface you could also write in the path fields but that is now impossible. The current approach is consistent with the user interface in RTRR and backup to external disk. It also make the risk for human errors less as non-existant destinations can't be entered.
What makes perfect sense.

A minor issue: When typing into the source or the destination folder field (kind of possible, no input visuble) ... the JavaScript seems to run into troubles, IE10 reports a slow or long executing script.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wzbtqv
Starting out

Post by wzbtqv »

shumaku, thanks for the post. Looks like the compatibility issue is just with the old ReadyNAS NV+ units. I'm able to define and run the RSYNC job fine from the ReadyNAS, so I'm confident I ruled out network, security, and other RSYNC issues. The list never populated for me on the QNAP, but I could always manually enter. Another poster gave me a suggestion of using Chrome and revealing the HTML source to remove the Readonly attribute. That allowed me to manually enter the destination directory (like we could in 3.8.1 and before) and it allowed me to get around the problem.

Once the WD RED 4TB drives come out, I'm adding another QNAP NAS to the pool and retiring the ReadyNAS units so the problem will shortly go away.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

In my opinion, manually entering a path here must be possible - followed with a check for validity once entered, or on a folder by folder base. Thank you for the read-only hint, have not checked this before.
mbnc
Starting out

Post by mbnc »

Similar issue for me

I am running two Qnap units (a 669 Pro and a 659 Pro II) both on the latest available fw 3.8.3 with pretty much identical folder permissions and config.

I have a set of older Nas to Nas replication jobs which still work fine, however since the recent fw release which updated the replication config, I am having difficulty creating a new backup job. I am unable to see any sub folders below the parent Multimedia, Download, Documents, Public, ect folders as are in use for the older jobs which still work just fine.

Have attempted setup using both Mac+Safari and PC+IE with same issue.
mbnc
Starting out

Post by mbnc »

Have just enabled both RTRR an RSYNC backup options on both source and destination NASs and I am now able to drill down through my subfolders.

Set up the back up job and ran it just fine, disabled RSYNC and RTRR option on source NAS and just RTRR on destination NAS and all works just fine

...clearly something buggy here!
mbnc
Starting out

Post by mbnc »

Digging into this a little deeper...

RSYNC must be enabled on BOTH destination AND source nas to see drill down destination directories!

ie you must enable your source RSYNC option: Enable backup from a server to the local host

With RSYNC disabled on source nas, all existing replication jobs work just fine regardless of destination directory

Clearly the wording of this source nas option is very misleading, particularly if you are looking to single direction backups!
BobJones
First post

Post by BobJones »

Hi All,

QNAP NAS 869L -> Netgear Ready NAS Ultra 4

I had exactly the same issue. The destination drop down list was simply not being populated with any valid rsync destination folders. I have rsync enabled and running as a server on both sides, permissions seem fine.

To get around this issue, I did what has been suggested further up on this list, and disabled the readonly property in the HTML, which enabled me to type in the destination, and this has worked perfectly. Maybe the NetGear NAS is not presenting the rsync shares for 'browsing', but either way, I would prefer to be allowed to type in destinations.

It is also a shame that you do not get the granularity for the application of specific services to specific shares that you do on the ReadyNAS. And also one rsync user for everything is a bit of limitation. Hopefully a future release will remedy these shortcomings.

Cheers
eispeer
New here

Post by eispeer »

Thanks mbnc.

Enabling Rsync-Server on both sides, the source QNAP and the destination QNAP solved my problem.

German translation of your solution can be found here: http://www.peerskrzypek.de/wordpress/20 ... zielordner
bryand7
New here

Post by bryand7 »

Has this ever been fixed?
I am trying to create an rsync remote replication job from the local QNAP to a remote ReadyNAS with rsync enabled.
I select the remote site and login info and the test button says success.
I select the source folder.
I click on the destination folder and it briefly shows "Connecting ..." but never fills in any available shares/folders.
From reading above I tried changing the html property on the destination folder field to remove the readonly="" tag using firefox - this does let me now type in the destination folder field.
I type directly into the destination folder field "/backup/rsync" where backup is the ReadyNAS share name and rsync is an already existing folder on that share.
BUT I get failure:
@ERROR: Unknown module 'backup'
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(2366) [sender=3.0.7]

I have permissions wide open on ReadyNAS (default to read/write for everyone)
Do I need a different format?

How am I supposed to backup from QNAP to remote ReadyNAS via rsync?
Why is this still broken after being reported so long ago and no workarounds?

I was able to create a job on the ReadyNAS to do an rsync backup of the remote QNAP, but I should not have to do this.
Why does the destination folder not populate?
Can you at least add better error messages to make this easier to figure out?

Thank you,

Bryan
sfred92
Starting out

Post by sfred92 »

Hello to everyone,

First, excuse me to dig up this topic, but I have the same problem and despite all tries and searches I've done, it's not working.

I have several backup jobs "NAS to NAS", from a a TS-439 Pro II+ to a TS-439, which worked perfectly for 3 years. Last week-end, I upgraded both of NAS from 4.0.7 to 4.1.1, and since the backups are not working anymore.

@ERROR: chroot failed
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(2481) [sender=3.0.7]

I tried to recreate new jobs, restarted both of NAS, re-applied ACLs, checked that option "enable backup from [...]" was checked, but it's definitely not working.

When I create a new job, connection to remote NAS is "success", and I can see parents folders, not the subfolders or available space. However, even if try to run a backup job on a parent job, error is still the same.

I opened a ticket, but if someone could help me with a workaround, that would be great.

Thanks !
Fred
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Can u check both boxes can replicate to themselves? This would indicate at least the RSYNC service is working.

Return to “Backup & Restore”