Clamav update failing

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
vikram
Starting out

Clamav update failing

Post by vikram »

hi

Not sure if this is the right forum for this post; i have been trying to update Clamav since a while now, but it has been failing. Can someone help me out with this pl?

Model: QNAP TS-410
Firmware: 4.0.1
In the Antivirus menu, "Enable Antivirus" is tick marked

If i click on Online Updating, the system checks for update, and then returns to the previous screen, with the status "Update failed"

If i download the daily.cvd file from www.clamav.net, and upload it using the manual update option, and when i click on import, the system returns "Incorrect File Format" error message. i notice that even though the file is named "daily.cvd", when i try to import it, the dialog box lists the file as "daily.cvd.txt". Not sure if this is the cause of the problem, but i don't know how to ensure it does not add the .txt extension to the daily.cvd file.

Any suggestions pl?

vikram
Mayer126
Starting out

Re: Clamav update failing

Post by Mayer126 »

Same issue for me
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Proxy in the data path to the Internet?

Check network configuration

[~] # ifconfig

Routing

[~] # route

[~] # getcfg Network "Default GW Device"

Name resolution

[~] # ping www.clamav.net

[~] # cat /etc/resolv.conf
vikram wrote:i notice that even though the file is named "daily.cvd", when i try to import it, the dialog box lists the file as "daily.cvd.txt". Not sure if this is the cause of the problem, but i don't know how to ensure it does not add the .txt extension to the daily.cvd file.
Looks like your browser does stupid things, it might not know about the cvd extension, and does fall-back to text - adding .txt to the filename.
vikram
Starting out

Post by vikram »

hi Schumaku

thanks for the reply. Replies below
# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:9B:C3:EC:72
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:532
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:15

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:9B:C3:EC:73
inet addr:10.10.10.24 Bcast:10.10.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:20630335 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:9905159 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:532
RX bytes:4198188495 (3.9 GiB) TX bytes:3524460889 (3.2 GiB)
Interrupt:11

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:583779 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:583779 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:179356857 (171.0 MiB) TX bytes:179356857 (171.0 MiB)
# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
255.255.255.255 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 eth1
10.10.10.24 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 eth1
10.10.10.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
224.0.0.0 * 240.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth1

# getcfg Network "Default GW Device"
eth1

# ping http://www.clamav.net
^C
# ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
11 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 208.67.220.220

Looks like your browser does stupid things, it might not know about the cvd extension, and does fall-back to text - adding .txt to the filename.
i was using Safari. I tried updating Clamav using Google Chrome and Firefox; both browsers are adding the .txt extension to the daily.cvd file... anything else i could try?

thanks for your help!!

vikram
Mercuria
Getting the hang of things

Post by Mercuria »

seems problems with DNS
reboot the NAS, and report back if update of antivirus os working
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Still not seen...

[~] # ping www.clamav.net

or

[~] # ping www.google.com
vikram
Starting out

Post by vikram »

hi Mercuria, Schumaki

yes, problem was with the network settings I had an incorrect entry in the Gateway settings. I corrected that, and since then i have been able to update Clamav using the webui! pinging clmav.net and google.com also resulted in a success.

however, the manually uploading the daily.cvd file still results in an error message as the browser seems to add.txt. Anyway, virus definitions are now up to date!

thanks for your assistance!

vikram
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Nothing the NAS can do if the browser (most in fact) don't have any association for the .cvd extension - typial fall-back is .txt. Have not checked what MIME type clamav.net does provide with the .cvd files - most browsers fall back to text if the mime type is not known, thus adding .txt.

You can always rename the downloaded file of course.
vikram
Starting out

Post by vikram »

hi Schumaki
schumaku wrote:You can always rename the downloaded file of course.
silly question, but what should the downloaded file be renamed as...? it is downloaded as "daily.cvd", so i should change this into...?

thanks for your assistance
vikram
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Your Windows Explorer might be set to hide the known extensions ... so change the settings, or rename from the Windows cmd prompt for example.
robpagsis
First post

Re: Clamav update failing (Virus Definition Failed to Update

Post by robpagsis »

Dear All,

I did my research all over the net regarding this failed to update virus definition issue. I even followed various tips provided by different users but to no avail! I still encountered the same issue. At first I did manual update everytime by going to clamav.net website, download the 'daily.cvd' and manually import it everytime. The import will be successful alright but I find this task to be very tedious since ClamAV regularly updates the virus definition so I have to constantly monitor the site.

Yesterday, out of the blue, I decided to download the entire CVD file (i.e. main.cvd, daily.cvd, bytecode.cvd and safebrowsing.cvd) and I individually imported all of them with no issues. Today, out of the green (since I already used blue yesterday :-) ) I decided to try and update the virus definition by clicking the UPDATE NOW button to update automatically. Now, normally, this is where I would encounter the Update Failed issue... but this time, the update went through without any issues!!!! I think the system checks for those 4 files and see whether it is available, If it's available then it updates it automatically.

Finally Virus definition problem resolved (for me at least)!!! :-)
siemey
First post

Post by siemey »

Same problem, resolvers ok, Internet access ok.

I followed robpagsis's advice above and it worked perfectly for me. Yay! :D
NetworklyChallenged
Starting out

Post by NetworklyChallenged »

robpagsis wrote:Dear All,

I did my research all over the net regarding this failed to update virus definition issue. I even followed various tips provided by different users but to no avail! I still encountered the same issue. At first I did manual update everytime by going to clamav.net website, download the 'daily.cvd' and manually import it everytime. The import will be successful alright but I find this task to be very tedious since ClamAV regularly updates the virus definition so I have to constantly monitor the site.

Yesterday, out of the blue, I decided to download the entire CVD file (i.e. main.cvd, daily.cvd, bytecode.cvd and safebrowsing.cvd) and I individually imported all of them with no issues. Today, out of the green (since I already used blue yesterday :-) ) I decided to try and update the virus definition by clicking the UPDATE NOW button to update automatically. Now, normally, this is where I would encounter the Update Failed issue... but this time, the update went through without any issues!!!! I think the system checks for those 4 files and see whether it is available, If it's available then it updates it automatically.

Finally Virus definition problem resolved (for me at least)!!! :-)
Where do you find these definitions? Are they part of the windows or linux packages?

Thanks
bodysoda
First post

Post by bodysoda »

Links to the cvd files can be found on clamav.net website. Here are the direct links

http://db.local.clamav.net/main.cvd
http://db.local.clamav.net/daily.cvd
http://db.local.clamav.net/bytecode.cvd
http://db.local.clamav.net/safebrowsing.cvd

I manually downloaded the above files and imported into to NAS via the GUi and wala! it worked.
alden
New here

Post by alden »

In case anyone is searching for this issue and the above solutions don't work:
I had the same problem, but these solutions didn't work. It turned out that my ramdisk was full (/dev/ram0). To test, log on to your QNAP and use the command: df
If you have 100% used for /dev/ram0, there's your problem. In my case, there was a swapfile problem. Rebooting fixed it. Your mileage may vary.

Return to “Miscellaneous”