Decent Mail Server QPKG

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Decent Mail Server QPKG

Post by schumaku »

nutellapr wrote:I'm not sure how this NAS is even viable for small businesses compared to Synology who do have a good built in email server with built in spam controls.
Good luck for your small business if one or some of your customers e-mail sender IP are blacklisted - i.e. hosted on virtual servers, or with major ISP and e-mail providers. RBL (DNS based real time black lists) is just one factor. Beyond RBL, doing efficient spam control requires either using commercial Spam check providers, massive local processing, ... most what is de-facto standard is ways beyond of what is possible on a small ARM NAS with very limited resources (RAM, CPU) can deal with - even on very low (wanted) e-mail volumes. It's not as easy as it looks in the marketing blush.
cloudbase
Starting out

Post by cloudbase »

Thanks for considering adding the mail feature. For those who've installed XDove and/or XMail and have done something with it, congratulations. I'm just trying to put two or three mail addresses together and can't get running at all. So please make it easy to set up initially :)
mwituni
New here

Post by mwituni »

I agree - very disappointed too. And wish I realized this before purchase :oops:

All a company like Synergy needs to do is exploit this weakness to boost their market share.

Even though I'd probably not want to run a full mail server, and to be fair most home / SOHO users might not want that complexity, I'd like to be able to at least have a out-of-the-box solution for archiving / backing up emails etc that I can run at night.

I'd like to see QPKG support for tools like Gmail-Backup, which will allow users to use GMail as the email provider and backup to their NAS.

Please look into this.
Tryphon
Getting the hang of things

Post by Tryphon »

I agree to have our own email server. Not for massive emails but just for a few email accounts. I do not want offer an email account to anyone. I do not want cancel my gmail account. I want to be able to send some confidential emails to my notary for example without being spied by some email providers. This task could be acceptable for our powerfull home NAS!

I could have my NAS email adress hacked? Ok, I could backup the email stuff, close the email account, create a new one and give it to my very few confidential recipients.

Thank you.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

arent xeam a decent mail server?
DjGuana

Post by DjGuana »

+1, qnap should really do something about it... a decent mail server that does all the nice features and easy to use, should be like the twonky media server : something we activate or not, on which we can configure the port to use, create a certificate.... something user like me can actually use.

xdove is a real pain, i got it working but i cannot email outside the world properly.
Model : TS-659 Pro
Serial Number : NBUCA050040BC01
jetelina

Post by jetelina »

Hi,
we are also looking for email server for small bussines (up to 10 email addresses).
- We have QNAP TS-439 Pro, which is quite old, so we are considering upgrade.
- Having email server as integrated and supported feature would be deal maker.
immiimmiimmiimmi
Starting out

Post by immiimmiimmiimmi »

+1
forkless
Experience counts

Post by forkless »

You guys could ask QNAP (or one of the volunteer package developers. I myself don't have time to take this on) to implement Modoboa Mailserver which works nicely with dovecot and postfix, to bring their mail server solution up to scratch.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

After Years now!!! I still do not understand why you guys are still asking for a mail server??

xdove was there and xeams qpkg is there and working perfect since long. and very easy to configure with direct upgrade via the web interface

http://www.xeams.com

P.S. It is more than a decent mail server by the way
forkless
Experience counts

Post by forkless »

The problem with Xeams is that it is a premium resource hog, even on my dual core 2.8Ghz Intel based NAS it managed to eat 60% of the CPU. Not acceptable if you ask me.

Anyway, the underlying problem won't be solved by any NAS provider, albeit QNAP, Synology, Drobo or Linux distro for that matter.

End-users shouldn't be disappointed that they can't run a mail server on their device because there are no packages for them, even if there ARE packages for them most of them won't be able to run it properly due to infrastructural shortcomings. Reality is that mail servers are simply not very suited (unless you are willing to make some serious compromises) to run on a consumer ISP plan.
koffie
New here

Post by koffie »

Has anyone ever find a nice, not dead project, good mailserver for Qnap ?
Xdove is no longer supported on QTS 4.3.3 (32-bit) so I hade to move to Xeams. I had Xeams already running as pamfirewall for long time but now using as a standalone server (spamfirewall + mailserver with IMAP).
I find the IMAP connection on Xeams very slow in comparison with Xdove.
It just looks like there are no decent mailserver packages at all. They are either dead or very outdated.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

install in vm or container ..there should be plenty then
koffie
New here

Post by koffie »

dolbyman wrote:install in vm or container ..there should be plenty then
In VM is to slow, Container Station is not supported om my hardware and there is no QPKG for Docker (as far as I know).
There is some minimal dovecot QPKG , that doesn't work at al out of the box, trying to get that working now.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

then you have to wait and see if anyone does qpkgs again for mailservers...chances are low with most new and current nas supporting vm/containers

Return to “Features Wanted”