MAC OSX 10.9 (Maverick) - Time Machine issues

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
CyberVoyou
New here

MAC OSX 10.9 (Maverick) - Time Machine issues

Post by CyberVoyou »

Hi,
I have a couple of iMac (10.8 and 10.9), MacBook Pro (10.8) and since we have upgraded a couple of them to Mavericks (10.9) we aren't able to connect anymore on TimeMachine on our QNAP TS-569 Pro (Firmware 4.0.3). MacBook Pro and iMac with 10.8 still able to connect properly.

Is there any known issues about that ? I know Mavericks has been released yesterday, but maybe i'm not the only one today that got those issues.

I have also try a couple of things:
1) Delete the .timemachine folder through SSH on the QNAP.
2) Disable AFP + TimeMachine options,
3) Tons of reboot both side desktop + QNAP, etc...

So I'm out of ideas here...
geardown@xs4all.nl
First post

Re: MAC OSX 10.9 (Maverick) - Time Machine issues

Post by geardown@xs4all.nl »

Same here........

Even had no access to my Qnap until full password reset.

Vincent.
jarends
New here

Post by jarends »

Same issues here, backup cannot be made anymore and resoring is possible neither...
Tried even removing the backup on the Qnap but still not able to connect.
Perlbo76
Know my way around

Post by Perlbo76 »

Read this thread too and prepared to Test Quick fix. But here with Mavericks (official from App Store) Time Machine Backup runs without changing anything ? it just need some time longer to start ... (but this is first Backup after upgrade (on iMac LAN also MacBook Wlan)

Sorry .. Qnap 469 Pro with Firmware 4.0.5
Qnap TVS-873 16GB Ram
jarends
New here

Post by jarends »

Im running 4.0.2 on my TS-212 is there a newer release available? As Peribo76 runs 4.0.5 on a TS-469 ?
rsaeks
Starting out

Post by rsaeks »

Same issue here on 4.0.3. I see the TimeMachine drive in the preferences but it will not connect for my backup.
nanotech
Starting out

Post by nanotech »

Ditto. Initially showed out of space error. Tried reconnecting and can see the disk but can't connect to it.

Then I upgraded from 3.8.2 to 4.0.2 and now then damn thing is stuck in a red/green flashing cycle and not responding. Not happy.
rshanahan
Starting out

Post by rshanahan »

I have the same problem, but it's a little different. On latest qnap software. Running ML on mbp using time machine. Upgraded (in place) to mavericks dp/gm. Everything working fine. Backing up worked. When Mavericks was released this week, along with updated ilife apps, had some difficulty getting them installed, so decided to re-load Mavericks with released image (instead of GM). I did a Time Machine backup, then reloaded, in place, Mavericks and all is fine. When it went to do a back up it said the backup disk didn't have enough space (it was going to do a large backup due to the newly installed o/s). This leads me to my two problems.

I have 400gb allocated to TM in the Nas. There was less than 20gb free. My has has about 280gb free. I tried to increase the time machine backup size from 400 to 500 but it would not allow me as it said 500 was bigger than the available 280gb. I think that's a bug in the new software as I have increased the time machine allocation in the past.

Now the bigger problem. To slim down the size of my mbp's backup, figured I'd just delete it (getting rid of old backups I no longer need), so I removed that backup set from the qnap to free up space (it was about 70gb in size). On my mbp, I went to re-attach to the qnap and now I having the same issue everyone else is, Problem connecting to the server.

I did experience this with the GM on another test machine trying to restore a backup set.

Can't wait for a patch, for now I'll hang a usb drive on the mbp to get backups.

Thanks!
nanotech
Starting out

Post by nanotech »

4.0.2 upgrade recovered, still no Time Machine though. Can see disk, can't connect.
JP6SIX01
New here

Post by JP6SIX01 »

Same to me. I installed Mavericks yesterday and all the thing went wrong. I had to start with a complete new setup. Now I need Timemachine to restore, but I am not able to connect to Time Machine. I checked the QNAP and the file is still there as xxx.sparsebundle

I have a TS410 turbo, latest firmware and and I am not familiar with writing code. Hopefully somebody finds a possibility to work around.
JP6SIX01
New here

Post by JP6SIX01 »

So it took four hours to resolve the problem. Howver I don' t know exactly what has happened. So aplogize for that. First I have logged in via ssh. ( enable ssh in qnap settings). Than I opened terminal (macbook) and logged in with ssh admin@ipnumber
The terminal will ask for your admin password. Enter password. Thats all. In your mac go to applications and choose migration assistent and find your timemachine back up. The connection will be established. My pc is now restoring the backup. It takes about two and a half hour, but I dont care. There are several post on how to log in via ssh, so that shloudnt be a problem. I am not familiar to Linux and writimg code so sometimes it is crickey. I am happy again. :lol:
aktiveradio
New here

Post by aktiveradio »

Same issue on two systems can't connect to TM anymore.
valles
Starting out

Post by valles »

Got it to work again with manual configuration after clean install.

1. sudo tmutil setdestination -ap afp://TimeMachine@NAS.local/TMBackup

My QNAP local DNS name is NAS.local. This will configure Time Machine bypass the connection problem in the GUI. You will be prompted for the password for the Time Machine AFP share. Next,

2. sudo tmutil associatedisk -a /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/ /Volumes/Time\ Machine\ Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBookPro/Latest/Macintosh\ HD/

My computer name is MacBookPro and my hard disk is "Macintosh HD". Now,

3. sudo tmutil inheritbackup /Volumes/Time\ Machine\ Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBookPro/

Viola! Everything works again!
bendsch
Know my way around

Post by bendsch »

@valles: you solution seems to be working. thanks man!
NASmodesl: TS-459 Pro+ , TS-251
robk1969
First post

Post by robk1969 »

not working

Return to “Backup & Restore”