VPN IP

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

VPN IP

Post by VincentM »

The NAS IP on the lan being 10.0.2.8, I would like to keep this same IP for when connecting over VPN, is there a way to keep it so.

Internal LAN mail server with external DNS pointing to it, when outside of the LAN if the NAS have a different IP users have no more access to the mail service.
Inserting 2 IP for the nas in the DNS server did not solve my issue.

Is there a way to change the VPN IP of the NAS and the IP range of the pool.
pwilson
Guru

Re: VPN IP

Post by pwilson »

VincentM wrote:The NAS IP on the lan being 10.0.2.8, I would like to keep this same IP for when connecting over VPN, is there a way to keep it so.

Internal LAN mail server with external DNS pointing to it, when outside of the LAN if the NAS have a different IP users have no more access to the mail service.
Inserting 2 IP for the nas in the DNS server did not solve my issue.

Is there a way to change the VPN IP of the NAS and the IP range of the pool.
Which VPN Service? (PPTP :( or OpenVPN :D)?
Firmware installed on NAS?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

NAS PPTP

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

VincentM wrote:NAS PPTP

No you can not. Either Interface needs a unique IP address, so that Routing works properly. Therefore the VPN interface and the Ethernet interface need different IP addresses.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

Is this a limitation o f the NAS?

Actually done with netgear<=>netgear and OS X server<=>OS X client
different ip range only for internal and external devices
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

By what I understand with open vpn it will be good but need third party vpn client software.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

VincentM wrote:By what I understand with open vpn it will be good but need third party vpn client software.
Yes - OpenVPN clients are freely available -> http://www.openvpn.net -> OpenVPN Client Software. If you need an OpenVPN GUI -> fetch tunnelblick.
VincentM wrote:The NAS IP on the lan being 10.0.2.8, I would like to keep this same IP for when connecting over VPN, is there a way to keep it so.
This would require a more tight integration in the customer network - i.e. a VPN address pool must be reserved - QNAP has opted different to keep thing simple.

Al that is pretty much unrelated to the myQNAcloud service by the way.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

The QNAP GUI getting more of a burden over time.
Yes VPN is also related to qnapcloud

If you see it an easier task to specify on each client machine a new address for the NAS when they are outside of the office or to further amend the dns server or else installed third party software which require a meeting with various unavailable person who are almost out of the office to sign an approval document then im happy for you, you are lucky. QNAP is simplifying things for you.

Its much simpler to have the vpn functions on another dedicated device, BUT QNAP just keep over advertising features without also advertising their limitations and buyers/clients just say that they want this thing as it can do this, this and that and after their investment they realised its not working as advertised.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

VincentM wrote:The QNAP GUI getting more of a burden over time.
Yes VPN is also related to qnapcloud

If you see it an easier task to specify on each client machine a new address for the NAS when they are outside of the office or to further amend the dns server or else installed third party software which require a meeting with various unavailable person who are almost out of the office to sign an approval document then im happy for you, you are lucky. QNAP is simplifying things for you.

Its much simpler to have the vpn functions on another dedicated device, BUT QNAP just keep over advertising features without also advertising their limitations and buyers/clients just say that they want this thing as it can do this, this and that and after their investment they realised its not working as advertised.
No that is too much work for me too.

My NAS is known as "nasty2" in my network.

To ensure that I can access "nasty2" from anywhere, I simply modify the "hosts" file on my portable devices by adding the following line:

Code: Select all

10.8.0.1 nasty2
When I access my NAS from inside my network, it uses DNS, and reaches "nasty2" at it's normal 192.168.1.145 IP address. When my portable device is using a different DNS server, it fails to resolve via DNS, so it tries the "hosts" file, and determines that "nasty2" lives at it's OpenVPN address of 10.8.0.1.

Android portable device: /system/etc/hosts (only possible on "rooted" Android devices :twisted: )
Windows portable device: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
Linux or OS X device: /etc/hosts
iOS device: (I wouldn't have clue - I'm an Android guy)

By hacking the "hosts" file on my portable devices, I can always access my QNAP NAS by browsing "nasty2". It doesn't matter whether I'm on my network, or if I'm at an Internet Cafe or public hotspot, my NAS can always be accessed as "nasty2".

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

VincentM wrote:The QNAP GUI getting more of a burden over time.
What's that now here?
VincentM wrote:Yes VPN is also related to qnapcloud
Nope - the VPN service is independent. It can however make use of any DNS service, including myQNAPcloud.
VincentM wrote:If you see it an easier task to specify on each client machine a new address for the NAS ...
Again VPN, not myQNAPcloud ... I don't disagree about the inability of connecting to the standard NAS LAN IP, and why the name announcements (NBNS and mDNS) are blocked.
VincentM wrote:Its much simpler to have the vpn functions on another dedicated device, BUT QNAP just keep over advertising features without also advertising their limitations and buyers/clients just say that they want this thing as it can do this, this and that and after their investment they realised its not working as advertised.
Well - it says nowhere it's providing a seamless access to the other end network, or provides full transparency. Just an access to the NAS. But we're off-topic here. The poor VPN implementation is not related to myQNAcloud at all.
interpipes
New here

Post by interpipes »

pwilson wrote: When I access my NAS from inside my network, it uses DNS, and reaches "nasty2" at it's normal 192.168.1.145 IP address. When my portable device is using a different DNS server, it fails to resolve via DNS, so it tries the "hosts" file, and determines that "nasty2" lives at it's OpenVPN address of 10.8.0.1.
Wait, what? That sounds like a pretty broken resolver implementation on your device - the locally defined hosts file should always have precedence over DNS, shouldn't it?

Tapped on my phone - excuse any typos, abbreviations, etc
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

interpipes wrote:
pwilson wrote: When I access my NAS from inside my network, it uses DNS, and reaches "nasty2" at it's normal 192.168.1.145 IP address. When my portable device is using a different DNS server, it fails to resolve via DNS, so it tries the "hosts" file, and determines that "nasty2" lives at it's OpenVPN address of 10.8.0.1.
Wait, what? That sounds like a pretty broken resolver implementation on your device - the locally defined hosts file should always have precedence over DNS, shouldn't it?
Absolutely not! My network is setup correctly to resolve via DNS first. The Hosts file is only used when DNS fails. This is the "correct" way the Resolver should work. The proof is in the pudding. I can access "nasty2" from anywhere on any of my portable devices, including my Windows Laptop, My Kali Linux Laptop, my Android Tablet, or my Android phone.

As I can access "nasty2" from anywhere why do you say I have a "pretty broken resolver implementation on my device", as it works everywhere, I'd say my "resolver implementation" is working just fine. Perhaps you should attempt to follow my advice, and see if it fixes the "pretty broken resolver implementation on your device".

I can even access my Twonkymedia DLNA Server from an Internet Cafe or Public Hotspot. Works like a charm. My system works correctly, yet you call it "broken". Your's doesn't work at all, but mine is "broken"? Give your head a shake. I've provided a "solution" for you, yet you'd prefer to criticize it rather than actually attempting it. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BTW, You're welcome.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

My DNS Server is in my Router. It resolves both internal and Internet addresses without issue. It answers queries about local machines itself, and queries upstream DNS servers for Internet queries. (My Router uses DNSmasq internally).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

sure its a way to do things but not all the time the router is yours

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”