Change FileStation port?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
VirtualNobody
New here

Change FileStation port?

Post by VirtualNobody »

I already have port 443 on my external IP forwarded to something else, so I'm trying to change port 443 on the QNAS.

I went to the Webserver section and found the SSL port for the webserver, but that had no effect on the FileStation manager port.

How do I change that?

Thanks...
schumaku
Guru

Re: Change FileStation port?

Post by schumaku »

Control Panel -> System Settings -> General Settings -> [System Administration]

The Web Server SSL port default to 8081/TCP by the way. Only a few applications (Stations) are available there, too - QTS 4 desktop or File Station are not.
VirtualNobody
New here

Post by VirtualNobody »

Thank you...I was confusing the Webserver App port with the webserver off the QNAP device itself!

So now I have it changed and I have my router configured to forward the port. I log in via https://myurl:myport and I get the QNAP login screen. All is good!

Now, to my Android device...I enter in all the same information, but I get a connection error.

I run tcpdump on my router and I can see traffic flowing. I try qfile, qmanager, etc, same result, connection error.

I'm scratching my head, this makes no sense...

For the heck of it, I try the myqnap.myqnapcloud.com address and it works!

So, why does the Android app have to use the myqnapcloud address instead of being able to talk to my QNAP directly? I can login remotely from a web browser, why not the Android app?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

VirtualNobody wrote:So now I have it changed and I have my router configured to forward the port. I log in via https://myurl:myport and I get the QNAP login screen. All is good!
That's all what is required to access the QTS desktop from any browser or to access from the QNAP Android or iOS Apps (except of the legacy Multimedia Station/Qmobile - which still requires the "real" Web server).
VirtualNobody wrote:Now, to my Android device...I enter in all the same information, but I get a connection error. I run tcpdump on my router and I can see traffic flowing. I try qfile, qmanager, etc, same result, connection error.
Uh, that's somewhat thin. If really want to capture something useful, temporary open the non-SSL. Start testing with the browser i.e. Chrome. Mind you the Apps don't need an URL - much more just FQDN or FQDN:port (and tick SSL if required) - no https:// or htp:// prefix - except of the browser access obviously.
VirtualNobody wrote:I'm scratching my head, this makes no sense...
Hm, understood ... When adding the Android or iOS Apps for the first time on the LAN, all config details (including myQNAPcloud name, ports, ....) is feed to the App configuration.
VirtualNobody wrote:For the heck of it, I try the myqnap.myqnapcloud.com address and it works!
...using a 3G/4G Internet connection, not from the LAN I assume?
VirtualNobody wrote:So, why does the Android app have to use the myqnapcloud address instead of being able to talk to my QNAP directly? I can login remotely from a web browser, why not the Android app?
Again, first check if the Android device can access the NAS from the browser - using the myqnap.myqnapcloud.com name from outside of your (W)LAN if things are unclear. Guess this will work anyway. Then ensure the Android devices are connected to your local (W)LAN - now they should be able to discover the NAS, permitting UPnP is enabled for Android, or Bonjour QNAP App for iOS. This should make it happen finally...
VirtualNobody
New here

Post by VirtualNobody »

Hi schumaku,

Thanks again for helping...

I guess my question comes down to....Why do the Android apps appear to require the use of hostname.myqnapcloud.com to access a NAS?

Why can't I directly go to myhostname.mydomain.com:port?

I have a static IP and the port is forwarded on the router (I'm not running UPNP on my home router).

I can access the NAS via a web browser at https://myhostname.mydomain.port.

Yes, I'm using an external network for these tests, not my home LAN.

Now, last night I did use qfile on my Android phone on my local LAN, and now it has the myqnapcloud information populated and I can access the NAS via myhostname.mydomain.port.

However, qmanager I did not access from my local LAN, so it's still not working unless I use the myqnapcloud hostname.

Why are the Android devices dependent upon the myqnapcloud service? Or do I need to forward more ports than just the single port? I would prefer that I not have any dependencies on the myqnapcloud service.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

When doing a "Manual add NAS" i.e. on Qfile you define a user friendly Name, Host/IP, Port, SSL toggle, and the ubiquitous username and password. Have I missed something?

On early QNAP Apps, the port was part of the Host/IP ... but this has apparently lead to confusion in the past.

Looks like you are confused about what the automatic discovery does configure (from what is available and known by the NAS) vs. the manual configuration:

There is no need to make use of the myqnapcloud.com name - but as of now the NAS has no place to store your own domain FQDN (beyond of the NAS-managed DDNS or the myqnapcloud.com name) to have it deployed to the Apps by the automatic discovery along with everything else. The feature request is in the pipeline.

By the way - the similar information of your own FQDN is required for File Station file sharing link creation - so thee are several areas which need to be covered for what we (both) are looking for.
VirtualNobody
New here

Post by VirtualNobody »

I don't think you understand quite what I'm saying.

Why must I configure my qfile Android app to use mynas.myqnapclod.com? Why can't I used myqnap.mydomain.com? Why must I rely on QNAP's servers to access my own QNAP device?

I run split horizon DNS, so I have myqnap.mydomain.com when I'm away from home, it will go to my external IP, when I'm connected to my local LAN, it should go directly to my QNAP.

This doesn't work externally, unless I use myqnap.myqnapcloud.com.

Does not work:
2013-12-10 22.16.37.png
does work:
2013-12-10 22.17.07.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Of course I do understand ... this should work in my opinion, too. Must admit I'm typically using VPN preferably...will test with my split horizon DNS names and port forwarding time permitting.

When you check the details (hidden under the virtual keyboard) - is there any inconsistency when it comes to the LAN IP resp. the External IP?

During the "Connecting to ...", you see the option to [Select connection method]. Selecting "By Host/IP" (holding your NAS FQDN) does not help?

Does Chrome, any other browser, or any other application deal correctly with the split horizon situation - or does the Android resolver simply not look-up the A record after leaving the local WLAN - simply because of the Android resolver keeps the FQDN to A record cached, the lifetime has not expired yet, and the App does simply connect to the IP address in the resolver cache (typically holing the wrong IP while testing...)?
VirtualNobody
New here

Post by VirtualNobody »

The external IP and internal IP are correct in the app box. They were not there when I initially configured the app when I was remote. When I tried reconnecting at home, it populated those fields.

It's now impossible to test if it's working correctly or not as the app seems to have stored these details and even if I create a new NAS to test, those fields are getting populated. So I can't tell if it's because the app has cached that data, or if it's actually working correctly now.

I suppose I could delete the app and app data and reinstall from the Play store, but it's working now.

I'm not sure, but I believe Android flushes the DNS cache when the connection type changes, ie WIFI to cellular. All of my other split horizon configurations work properly on my Android devices, ie mail uses imap.mydomain.com, smtp.mydomain.com, etc. I have tested extensively switching cellular on and off and trying my email over the years and it's always worked as expected.

The QNAP app was the first one to not work as expected.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”