Using VPN to hide country

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
samwardill
Starting out

Using VPN to hide country

Post by samwardill »

I am hoping to use the VPN service on my TS119 to hide my country of origin. For example my TS119 is in the UK and I want to VPN to it when travelling outside UK to be able to use BBC iPlayer which is only accessible from a UK IP. Similarly I may send a TS119 to a relative in the States so that I can access Pandora. Is this possible?
pwilson
Guru

Re: Using VPN to hide country

Post by pwilson »

samwardill wrote:I am hoping to use the VPN service on my TS119 to hide my country of origin. For example my TS119 is in the UK and I want to VPN to it when travelling outside UK to be able to use BBC iPlayer which is only accessible from a UK IP. Similarly I may send a TS119 to a relative in the States so that I can access **. Is this possible?
Almost any VPN configuration is possible on your NAS, however your desired configuration will require manual configuration using scripts and custom configuration files. Your NAS already has the binaries necessary to provide both PPTP (insecure/depreciated) and/or OpenVPN VPN connections. Using VPN's to circumvent BBC's GeoIP restrctions (put in place to comply with British Copyright Laws, and Content Licence restrictions is not (IMHO) something that belongs in this Forum system, so I am locking this thread going forward.

Please discuss the legal and illegal uses of VPN's with your VPN provider, or use Google to find suitable instructions to this task. I personally have no issue with accessing BBC content outside of the UK, but I am not prepared to participate in such a discussion in this Forum. Please take this discussion elsewhere, regardless of your opinion of British and American Copyright Laws, or the British Broadcasting Corporations's GeoIP Restrictions put in place to comply with those laws.

Using the QNAP NAS Community Forum to discuss this could open QNAP to potential litigation, so such discussion simply can not be tolerated here. I am not asking you to change your opinions or goals, I am simply asking you to discuss this elsewhere.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”