Qnap NAS not appearing on network (Windows Explorer)

Windows Access Rights Management
yorkieshaman
First post

Qnap NAS not appearing on network (Windows Explorer)

Post by yorkieshaman »

Apologies if this is repeating information that's well known, but I had this problem this morning and found at least three threads on this forum from people having the same problem, none of contained a solution.

The problem people (including me) were getting was that the NAS appears in Windows Explorer under 'Other Devices' but not on the network map or as a 'normal' device (like a PC) in the left-hand pane. Which means you can get in through the web interface, but you can't view the drives to copy to them in Windows Explorer, set up drive mappings, etc.

Some people reported that this had happened suddenly, after using the NAS through Windows Explorer for several months. In my case it was fine yesterday, but when I booted the PCs today it was gone.

Turns out that all that's needed to fix it is:
- Go to the web interface
- On the left, click 'Network Services'
- Click 'Microsoft Networking'
- Compare the Workgroup field to the workgroup your PCs are set to. My Qnap NAS had set itself to workgroup 'NAS' for some reason.
- Change the workgroup to whatever it needs to be
- Click 'Apply'
- Shutdown the NAS (in the web interface: 'System Administration' then 'Power Management' then 'Shutdown'.
- Turn the NAS on again and wait
- The NAS should now appear in Windows Explorer again.

I'm guessing that there's some quirk of Finder that it locates the NAS no matter which workgroup it's on and makes it visible in Windows Explorer. However, this only lasts until the NAS is rebooted, after which it boots with the default workgroup (NAS) and is suddenly invisible. I'm guessing that the people who had it working for several months never rebooted it in that time. I'm speculating, though :) Mainly I just wanted to post this in case it helps someone else who's having this problem. Again, apologies if it's old information.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Qnap NAS not appearing on network (Windows Explorer)

Post by schumaku »

When your NAS does not keep the settings configured, ie. for the workgroup, there is something badly wrong.

Have any QPKG or other 3rd party applications instaled and running?

Technically, there is no need to have the workgroup configured to the same name - doing so does just slightly speed-up the discovery within the same workgroup btw.

Get in contact with QNAP SUpport to figure-out what is going wrong.
Crush
Been there, done that

Post by Crush »

Both my NAS are set to default workgroup 'NAS' which in itself doesn't prevent access at all. Agree there is something odd about yours.
(a Windows machine not needing a reboot for months :lol: )
Chris H
QNAP TS-453Be 4x4TB Ironwolf, 8GB RAM. QM2-2S10G1T, 2x Kingston m.2 240GB
QNAP TS-873 8x3TB WD Red, 2x Kingston m.2 240GB, 16GB RAM, MSI 1050Ti.
QNAP TS-419PII (firmware 3.6.0 build 0210). 4x Seagate ST33000651AS 3TB drives. Netgear GS108Tv2 switch, VirginMedia Netgear modem/router, APC 1500VA UPS.
QNAP TS-201 - still working but retired, QNAP 419PII also retired :)
Lian-Li EX-503 with 5 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI for backups
Main PC Gigabyte, 4790k, 32GB RAM, 30TB disks, Twin Dell 27" screens
hemachayart
Starting out

Post by hemachayart »

Same thing with me. Change workgroup doesn't help. I have to type in \\NAS****** to see sub folder manually. It's not the same as other brand that pop right up after boot. I'm sure just installed new HDD so no 3rd party QPKG installed.
glnta
Starting out

Post by glnta »

I had no problem with mine. Here's a pic of my NAS in the map !!

a_team
Starting out

Post by a_team »

Had this same issue, turned out it was my router firewall. I turned the FW off, discovered the NAS, turned it back on, and it's been working ever since.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57150
Sony Vaio Z w/SSD -> QNAP TS-659 PII w/18TB & 3GB RAM NAS -> Boxee Box & XBMC -> 52" Sony KDL-52VL150 -> 1000W BPV-E500W Sony Amp. Girl Friend & PS3 collecting dust.
milplus
New here

Post by milplus »

Guysd

I also have same issue

i trie dto deactivate all firewalls , no changes.

I am on same workgroup of my NAS - no changes.

cannot MAP my NAS under my network . I have win7 64 bit machine.

if you can help me on this
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Please, do NOT necropost. Set your network profile to Home or Office. If that does not help, start a NEW thread and provide some information..
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

hemachayart wrote:Same thing with me. Change workgroup doesn't help. I have to type in \\NAS****** to see sub folder manually. It's not the same as other brand that pop right up after boot. I'm sure just installed new HDD so no 3rd party QPKG installed.
Hi

Personally, I think that's no bad thing. I like to keep my NAS as 'detached' from Windows as I can, so different workgroup, no appearance in Network Neighbourhood (to use the old MS terminology) and to have no mapped drives to it. Instead, I just use \\nasname to access it (and I've a set a short name for it to make this painless) or if I'm needing frequent access whilst doing a specific job, I create a desktop shortcut to \\nasname\sharename.

With the appearance of this dreaded CryptoLocker* malware (which seeks out and encrypts documents, etc) I feel even happier about this level of 'detachment' since CryptoLocker acts on anything that can be 'seen' via Windows Explorer (so attached USB drives and NAS shares with mapped drives to them will be subject to the malware encryption of documents on them) so to me, you are actually in a very good place to be (well, your NAS is in a good place to be) and thus I'd not seek a solution to your 'problem' since any solution could lessen protection against that particular issue. Well, at least for now; goodness knows what nasties future criminals will bring to the party.

I should add that CryptoLocker is known to include mapped drives, but I've no idea about devices (without mapped drives) that are just discoverable via the Windows network devices page in Windows (I've not looked into how that Windows feature works as I don't use it), but as I say, I just like to 'detach' the NAS as far as possible, so to me, that's simply another step of 'detachment' from Windows that I'm more than happy have. One day soon, I plan detach my entire building from Windows and go down the Linux route! :lol:

Bri

* I've heard that there are at least a couple of other copies of CryptoLocker and that these look to have been created by different criminals. Apparently, one even uses the same popup screens (i.e. they've just copied the CryptoLocker images) but it's believed to be a different crime gang due to slight difference in how it functions and that they only accept Bitcoins as ransome. Also, I believe this very similar copy doesn't stop at docs and spreadsheets (etc) but also encrypts media; not good.
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Briain wrote:I like to keep my NAS as 'detached' from Windows as I can, so different workgroup, no appearance in Network Neighbourhood (to use the old MS terminology)
Recent Windows (certainly since 7) don't care to much about Workgroup name, all servers show up anyway - there is no longer a server list broken down to workgroups. As soon as the NetBIOS name is announced, the NAS will show up in the network neighbourhood, too.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Thanks Kurt

I've only recently moved from a pile of creaky old XP boxes to a mix of 7 and 8, so I've still to look for differences between their behaviour and what I was used to with my XP units. I just checked and there's no sign of my Qnap on the network map of the 7 box, but tomorrow, I'll look into how Win 7 is meant to behave (and also check how the 8 box is behaving). As I say, I've always just used \\hostname to access network devices and thus it's just not something I've ever closely looked at (but will do; I really should know all these modern toys)! :roll: :lol:

Bri

Incidentally, I now personally know two CryptoLocker victims (one private chap and one small business owner). In both cases, they had all their local docs and spreadsheets encrypted and in the business case, I believe that he lost his files on the server (share accessed via a mapped drive). Fortunately, I'm told they didn't have a common share - just personal ones - so only his server data was encrypted (I was just there to fit a few WAP's, so I was not directly involved, but I did see the infamous screen on his laptop). Fortunately, in both cases they had offline backups, so they weren't really that bothered about it (and thus in these two cases, the CryptoSwines received no ransom). As I say, where it's not a hassle (i.e. infrequent access by home users) I've been advising friends to remove mapped network drives to data shares instead use \\hostname to access it when required. It seems they are all happy as I've not yet had any complaints (nor been asked back to restore the mappings). 8)
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
TimRideout
Know my way around

Post by TimRideout »

doktornotor wrote:Please, do NOT necropost.
LOL@"necropost." Dude. You so hardcore.

I found some invaluable information in this "necro" thread. Please refrain from necro-refraining.
Treamaya
New here

Post by Treamaya »

Just a clarification that the path is Network Services/WinMacNFS/Microsoft Networkin.
hugdepop
Starting out

Post by hugdepop »

I have the same issue with my NAS since a week now. Previously my QNAP was available by its name and was displayed by default when logging in to Windows (10).
Now since recent, this isn't the case anymore nor it can be found by entering \\NASNAME in the address path.

The NAS is however available directly via its IP-address. I've had this issue in the past and however I didn't changed something in my NAS settings, I've checked them all to see if anything might set wrong. Also in Windows, turned off the FW temporarily to see if my QNAP can ben found, but also this does not help. My guess is that is has something to do with QNAP software / settings and not windows. The reason for this is twofold:

1. I have this issue since I've installed firmware version 4.2.5 build 20170413. No update have been installed om my Windows installation (both PC and laptop, and on both the issue is the same). I've also installed the latest firmware 4.3.3.0154 build 20170413.
2. After a restart of my QNAP, the issue is solved and the NAS can be found perfectly as before.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to solve this or recognize this issue?
As I feel this has something to do with the firmware, it's maybe better to post this within another topic.
hlodewijk
First post

Post by hlodewijk »

Same problem here.... Sinds firmware update network share does not work anymore. I also think that there is a bug someware in this firmware 4.3.3.0154 :S

Return to “Windows”