Data recovery after QNAP unit failure

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
lluchez
New here

Data recovery after QNAP unit failure

Post by lluchez »

Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in getting a QNAP unit (TS-212P-US) for RAID mirroring. I main concern is about keeping my data save whatever happens. So if my QNAP device fails what are my options?
1) Replacing the unit with the exact same one: Then can I just restore everything back by re-plugging the drives and restoring my settings (assuming I've done a backup, if possible).
2) Replacing the unit with another QNAP unit (4-bay for instance): does the previous procedure will still work?
3) Plugging my HDD onto a Windows computer: will I be able to access all my data whatever my file permissions were? (are file permissions only UI related or changing the permissions physically affects files?) Can Windows access EXT4 drives?
4) Moving to another brand: If for some reason my experience with QNAP was bad and I want to move to another NAS company, can I plug my drives used with a QNAP unit to another unit (most NAS unit can handle EXT4) or formatting the HDDs will be mandatory at first? I will probably loose my RAID array.

In addition: if one of my HDD from my RAID-1 fails.
5) Can I re-plug a new HDD (same size)? The RAID array will be automatically reconstruct and data will be copied onto this new HDD?

Thanks a lot for your attention and please share your thoughts/comments/experience regarding this matter.

/Lionel
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: Data recovery after QNAP unit failure

Post by doktornotor »

1/ Yes.
2/ See the System Migration part of the fine manual.
3/ Not natively. Use Linux instead.
4/ Completely unsupported by QNAP and pretty much any other vendor.
5/ Of course, the whole purpose of RAID. (Note: JBOD and RAID-0 are not RAID.)
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
lluchez
New here

Post by lluchez »

Thanks doktornotor.
Regarding #1, will the restore be full? Will it also:
- restore program like MySql (are the tables stored on HHD or unit memory)?
- save plugins settings

Thanks
/Lionel
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

There is nothing to restore in the first place, I don't understand your question.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

lluchez wrote:Thanks doktornotor.
Regarding #1, will the restore be full? Will it also:
- restore program like MySql (are the tables stored on HHD or unit memory)?
- save plugins settings

Thanks
/Lionel
When you "migrate" the drives to new QNAP, you are also migrating the settings.

doktornotor even provided the hyperlink to the Migrating from Old NAS section of the manual.
I understand that you haven't purchased a NAS yet, but you can review the Manual prior to purchase.

MySQL data is stored on the HDDs of the NAS, preferably on a RAID1 Storage Volume if you value your data. RAID1 is the only RAID solution available on a 2-Bay NAS.
[url=http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.0/Home/en/volume_management.htm]Volume Management[/url] section of the [b]QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual[/b] wrote:RAID 1 Mirroring Disk Volume

RAID 1 duplicates the data between two hard drives to provide disk mirroring. To create a RAID 1 array, a minimum of 2 hard drives are required.

The storage capacity of a RAID 1 disk volume is equal to the size of the smallest hard drive.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
lluchez
New here

Post by lluchez »

I understand the process better. I thought the settings were stored on the NAS internal memory, not on the HDDs.
Thank you everyone for your precious help.

Return to “Miscellaneous”