Upgrading RAM on TS 470 pro

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
wappinghigh
Starting out

Upgrading RAM on TS 470 pro

Post by wappinghigh »

Ok. So I've seen the other couple of threads on RAM upgrades..

SO I asked my local QNAP dealer about doing the same on a TS 470pro

This is what he said:

"I have received a reply from our purchasing department and this NAS will support up to 16gb and does have 2 slots however you will be required to disassemble the entire NAS to be able to insert the RAM which I have been told is very difficult therefore if you were to break any warranty seals or cause any damage while performing this upgrade the warranty will be voided."

I mean seriously this is a load of rubbish on QNAP's behalf. This is nonsense. You can't go advertising that your products are capable of RAM upgrade... (and yes, I have seen this on the specs on your website)...then have a situation like I describe above.

This is false advertising.

Either it can take extra RAM or it can't.

So which is it? Can you run extra RAM or not?

What RAM do I need?

What voltage?

And why don't you ship them with extra RAM at request and apply warranty to this upgrade?

Thankyou
paolomarino
Easy as a breeze

Re: Upgrading RAM on TS 470 pro

Post by paolomarino »

I have one 870 pro.
I have removed only the hard disk tray and I upgrade the ram from the hole in the chassis without dissemble anything.
there are two sodimm slot.
the second one is difficult but the first is very easy.
the nas have 2gb ram put in the difficult slot and if you buy one 8gb sodimm you can put it on the easy slot and have 10 gb without void any warranty.
hope the 470 have similar access.
if you want to change the cpu you need to open all and it is more difficult and you void the warranty because of some seal on the screws.
Happy Qnap TS-509 Ultra (Intel E7500 + 2GB RAM + 20TB WD RED) Owner :)
Happy Qnap TS-870 Ultra (Intel I7-3770T + 16GB RAM + 64TB WD RED) Owner :)
spigot
Know my way around

Post by spigot »

I upgraded my 470Pro with: Kingston SO-DIMM 16GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL11, product code: KVR16S11K2/16.
Changing RAM modules on 470Pro is similar to 870Pro (as paolomarino said).
You have to remove all HDD and through holes you have to change RAM modules.
It's a little bit surgery :D, but it's manageable.
QNAP TS-470 Pro - 6 * WD RED 3TB (RAID6) + 1 Spare +1 SSD (VirtualizationStation) - FW: QTS 4.1.0
Transmission 2.84+
wappinghigh
Starting out

Post by wappinghigh »

There are two different voltages of this Kingston Pc-12800 (1600Mhz) DDR3 RAM...One is 1.35V and the other 1.5V..

...guys so it takes the 1.5V RAM..not the 1.35V RAM correct? Thanks
paolomarino
Easy as a breeze

Post by paolomarino »

Happy Qnap TS-509 Ultra (Intel E7500 + 2GB RAM + 20TB WD RED) Owner :)
Happy Qnap TS-870 Ultra (Intel I7-3770T + 16GB RAM + 64TB WD RED) Owner :)
spigot
Know my way around

Post by spigot »

wappinghigh: yes, I have 1,5V RAM modules
QNAP TS-470 Pro - 6 * WD RED 3TB (RAID6) + 1 Spare +1 SSD (VirtualizationStation) - FW: QTS 4.1.0
Transmission 2.84+
wappinghigh
Starting out

Post by wappinghigh »

Thanks!!! :)
wappinghigh
Starting out

Post by wappinghigh »

Ok. So none of these new x70pro series have RAM available on the QNAP shop as an available accessory..

Yet like I say, I've seen this capacity advertised and we have a couple of guys here on this thread who say it can be done.

So please.

Can someone from QNAP tell me what is going on and why RAM is not available on the QNAP store?

Thanks
wappinghigh
Starting out

Post by wappinghigh »

Ok. I am not finding the RAM upgrade as easy as described.

I have 1x Kingston KVR16S11/8 SO DIMM 8GB RAM
I have tried to slot it in (on side of internal drive bay as described, but can't get it to be recognized) This is NOT easy to do..definitely NOT as easy as adding RAM to a PC.. I have got rather fat fingers.. I'm trying to add only one module. It is in the second (easier) slot. The confusing thing is it is almost impossible to see and pull out the first module ...Is this correct? Also do the two RAM modules line up together? or is one slotted "ahead' of the other? What do you do with that white RAM clip holder..do you have to bring it forward 30 degrees or something? Sorry..but the you tube video from China was NOT very helpful. This cross bar within the drive bay is in the most stupid location! Why did they design it like this? Cheers
Last edited by wappinghigh on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wappinghigh
Starting out

Post by wappinghigh »

^ Success!!! Gee that was tricky. you got to add it in at 45 degrees and really force it down in that slot. I used a pari of nail scissors to push it doen before clipping it in. Forget about adding the deeper module. It aint going to happen. I'll stay with 10GB :)
bucho
Starting out

Post by bucho »

I received my TS-470 Pro yesterday along with additional RAM, took the hard drive bays out and.... it already had two RAM modules installed??? Booted it up and it's still only 2GB RAM so for some reason my unit came with 2 x 1GB modules installed?

I had a quick go at removing the top module but I'm not familiar with the plastic clips (used to metal ones) and didn't want to break it before even using the NAS so will try again later. A bit disappointing!
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

bucho wrote:I received my TS-470 Pro yesterday along with additional RAM, took the hard drive bays out and.... it already had two RAM modules installed??? Booted it up and it's still only 2GB RAM so for some reason my unit came with 2 x 1GB modules installed?
Same for some TS-670 Pro and TS-870 Pro devices. They all came with 2x1GB modules.
frustin
Know my way around

Post by frustin »

johnripper wrote:Same for some TS-670 Pro and TS-870 Pro devices. They all came with 2x1GB modules.
so how have some got 10GB? did they come with 1x 2GB?
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

frustin wrote:
johnripper wrote:Same for some TS-670 Pro and TS-870 Pro devices. They all came with 2x1GB modules.
so how have some got 10GB? did they come with 1x 2GB?
8 GB + 2 GB
frustin
Know my way around

Post by frustin »

have some people's qnaps arrived with 1x 2GB SODIMMS pre installed?

Return to “Presales”